RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams sign another d-lineman

Undrafted free-agent defensive tackle Sean Mulcahy. Was drafted by the browns a couple of years ago but failed the physical

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams sign another d-lineman

robscouting.com

College: Connecticut
    Player: Sean Mulcahy
    Position: Defensive Tackle #: 99
    Height: 6052 Weight: 293 Speed: 4.93/40
    Age as of 4/04: 22
    Injuries/Legal Issues: None of note.
    Grade: 1.81(6th Round)
    What does he do best? Has strong hands and is able to get a good pocket push.
    What is his biggest negative? Isn't a threat to sack the Quarterback.
    Evaluation of athletic potential: Solid athlete, good quicks and speed and able to move down the LOS.
    Does he make the big play? Makes little plays in the backfield and won't sack the Quarterback, but will force him out of the pocket.

Scouting Report: Sean is a larger sized Defensive Tackle, but has the strength and plays with good leverage making him effective. Sean shows good initial quicks at the snap and can occasionally beat his man off the ball. He is able to get his hands on the lineman and engages quickly. However, Sean's game isn't beating his man and getting into the backfield his job is to keep the Offensive Guard's off the Backer's. Sean is strong v. the point of attack, as he is able to get of the block and make a tackle. He shows average instincts and stays in his gap on reverses and misdirection plays. Sean shows good lateral movement and has the ability to change direction when he recognizes the play. He stays on his feet and can avoid trash while moving laterally across the line of scrimmage. Sean is strictly a pocket pusher in his pass rushing. He has the strength and size to push his man into the pocket and force the Quarterback to roll out. Sean shows good acceleration in pursuit and the ability to make a tackle from behind. Sean has good hand use as he keeps the active and shows good placement allowing him to get a push or get off the block and make a tackle. He also shows the agility to slip a double team and get to the ball carrier. Sean is strictly a 43 Defensive Tackle at UCONN, but his motor and athletic ability with help him at the next level. If he can show the versatility to play more positions he will increase to a 4th or 5th round selection. Sean currently has an early 6th round grade.

General: Team captain at UCONN. Played basketball and participated in javelin, shot put, high jump and 100 meter. Good size/strength/speed numbers to be a 43 Defensive Tackle. Isn't quick enough to play 34 Defensive End. Has improved every year at UCONN. Shows a good motor on the field.

Workout Results: 4.93 in the 40. 30'' vertical leap, 415-bench press and 30 reps of 225.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Mulcahy signs deal with Rams
    By Sean Barker, Journal Register News Service
    07/10/2004

Sean Mulcahy has gotten his second chance. And he intends on making the most of it.

Mulcahy, a defensive tackle for the University of Connecticut football team last season, has signed with the St. Louis Rams.

"I’m pretty excited," said Mulcahy, a Westport resident, who failed a physical with the Browns in May.

Cleveland’s assessment was that lingering effects remained from a neck injury sustained against North Carolina State Oct. 11.

"I want to show these other teams what they’ve missed out on," Mulcahy said.

He signed a one-year contract for the NFL minimum $230,000.

Mulcahy was coming to grips with the fact he’d most likely have to wait for someone to get injured during the regular season or for a chance to play in NFL Europe. Then Rams General Manager Charlie Armey called July 7 to say they had a need for a defensive tackle.

"It was pretty much set that night, but (Branford-based agent) Joe (Linta) had to finalize the paperwork," Mulcahy said.

"I was just frustrated because I knew there was nothing wrong with me, but I also knew it was a business and some teams were not going to take a risk on me, because I’m not a superstar."

Mulcahy, who has passed physicals for both the Giants and Falcons since May, will leave for the Rams’ rookie camp July 18. Training camp begins the following week.

"I’m pretty much going to put everything on the line, listen to all they have to say and keep my mouth shut," Mulcahy said.

Mulcahy, a 6-foot-6, 292-pound defensive tackle, has been timed at 4.79 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

"Not many guys his size have his speed," Linta said. "I think he’s got a good chance at making the Rams. It’s not a bad spot for him to be in."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Probably a camp signing.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DenisSerbia is offline Registered User

As far as I'm concerned, I'm only care about Jimmy Kennedy status. Is he, at least, alive?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

You could be right Nick, but there is always HOPE!! Given our current DL prospects I'll keep my fingers crossed..

GO RAMMS!!!!!! :1:

radjohns is offline Registered User

Given the overly lame production of the current crop of DT's any signing is a good signing for this unit. Unfortunately, because lameoids like D. Lew and Kennedy were drafted in the first round, it is doubtful that the rams will be cutting either of those guys in favor of an UDFA. I'm still holding onto hope for Kennedy to turn it around, but Lewis is a waste as far as I am concerned.

Here is one more scouting report on Mulcahy. THis one is from nfl.com.

Sean Mulcahy
    Position: Defensive Tackle
    College: Connecticut
    Height: 6-5
    Weight: 297
    Hometown: Westport, Conn.

Analysis | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW
    Known for his durability, this classic warrior was finally forced to miss a game, his final contest as a Husky, as he battled neck problems most of the 2003 season … Blessed with a great combination of size, speed and strength, Mulcahy began his career as a defensive end, moving inside to tackle as a sophomore … Started 40 of 45 games for the Huskies, making 136 tackles (76 solos) with eight sacks for minus-40 yards, 20˝ stops for losses of 72 yards, 24 quarterback pressures, a fumble recovery, an interception and four pass break-ups.
    ANALYSIS
    Positives: Has a thick, wide body, with a broad back, thick shoulders, big bubble, bulky thighs and calves … Generates a strong surge off the snap, showing the explosive first step to gain advantage on the blockers … Has a good feel for blocking schemes, using his hands with force to keep opponents from attacking his feet … Has the overall strength and short-area quickness to flash into the backfield to flush out the quarterback … Shows urgency getting to the ball and the balance to defeat blocks coming off the edge … Keeps his feet when chasing down ball carriers in the backfield.
    Negatives: Played tackle, but seems to struggle too much with multiple blocks to be effective playing inside in a two-gap system, as he rarely pursues the play and gets tied up in trash … Gets stuck on blocks at times, especially when his initial move does not work … Has the speed to make the chase in lateral pursuit, but needs to take better angles to the ball as he tends to fall to the ground a lot when trying to move through tight quarters … Has to develop better arm swipes to prevent blockers from stranding him at the line of scrimmage.

AGILITY TESTS
    4.93 in the 40-yard dash … 413-pound bench press … 676-pound squat … 352-pound power clean … 30-inch vertical jump … 31 7/8-inch arm length … 9 3/8-inch hands … Right-handed.
    HIGH SCHOOL
    Attended Staples (Westport, Conn.) High, playing football for coach Marcellino Petriccio … Four-year letter-winner, earning first-team all-state honors by the Hartford Courant, Connecticut Post and Norwalk Hour … All-league selection as a senior … All-conference honorable mention selection as a junior … Two-year starter at tackle on offense and linebacker on defense … Three-year letter-winner in basketball and two-year letter-winner in track.
    PERSONAL
    Business major … Born Sean R. Mulcahy on Feb. 14, 1982 … Resides in Westport, Conn.