Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams sign another Tight-end

Owens is a Hybrid, Leonard is supposedly a hybrid. The Chris Cooley/Al Saunders analogy has been drawn.

Counting Owens out, you now have four on the active roster. Considering that there will be cuts and even trades before the next season officially begins, don't count on that being the final number.

We managed to get a fourth rounder out of Brandon Malumaneuna a few years back. Maybe we'd be as lucky to recieve a late round pick for a guy like Byrd.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Coach is just having fun with us, pulling our leg and providing off-season material.

Seriously, read Nick's posts on this signing and Becht could actually be both a reasonable and welcomed addition. I had lost track of Walker's FA move. Anthony makes for an experienced, good replacement.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smizzhfx View Post
    The fact that we currently have 5 tight ends wouldn't be so laughable if Linehan didn't spend 2nd and 3rd picks on a tight end and then go out and sign another starter for big money the following offseason.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Give the man a prize- he nailed it right on the head.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Obviously other than McMichael and possibly KLOP we are weak at the position. Linehan and Saunders are putting together a road grading offense.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As amusing as this is, I see this move coming from Saunders as much as Linetightend.

Look at one of the less looked at but important signings of the Pats last year. They picked up an aging, TE in Kyle Brady who couldn't do much of anything but block the hell out of people. And so they put him in to drive block linebackers for the run game and to keep guys off of Brady when they went max protect. Saunders said that his main mission was to keep Bulger from getting hit, hurt and knocked down. Becht will help do that, in addition to drive blocking for Jax. If we stick with McMichael, Klop and Becht, I think that position's pretty darned good. Of course Klop has to hate life and will never resign with us as we draft him, start him, don't really use him or let him succeed, replace him and then replace him again.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jquarando View Post
    This guys is one HECK of a blocker and everyone in the league knows this.
    Well, everyone except for the Bucs, who didn't re-sign him, and the thirty other teams, who didn't sign him as a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So Linehan should have known in 2006 that Randy McMichael was going to be cut a year later, and not drafted Klopfenstein and Byrd?
    No, but I think its fair to argue that he should have saved his FA money and tried to develop Klop.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well, everyone except for the Bucs, who didn't re-sign him, and the thirty other teams, who didn't sign him as a FA.
    This comment is just ridiculous. So just cause we signed him you are saying that everyone in the league doesnt think he can block? I didnt say he was the greatest and bestest blocker. Seriously AV I wonder how you wake up in the morning.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I dont mind the signing I guess. If we wanted a blocking tight end I guess Becht is ok. The problem is with all of our tight ends and hybrids and what not is this why we released Bruce? Did we release Bruce and improve our team by bringing in Becht? We could develop Klop,Walker or Byrd into good blockers. Is that something your born with or can you learn how to block? We got weaker at WR but stronger at an already ample tight end position? Mcmichael is a good blocker, owens is supposed to be a good blocker, so why add Becht at this point? I dont know I guess I'm still trying to find the justification for releasing our second best wr. Becht didnt exactly make the team younger either. I'm sure he'll fit in fine on the goal line and short yardage situations, but I think we could have done without.
    Just Fix It

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Develop Klop? This will be his 3rd year. The development stage is over. He either puts out or gets out. Becht is a much better blocker than Klop.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Is there even a shred of doubt in anyones mind here that there will be YET another TE taken in the draft?
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

if you guys complain about one more te signing i swear. This guys is one HECK of a blocker and everyone in the league knows this. If you want to feature steven jackson you need blockers. How come some of you cannot see this? Saunders Featured 3 TE's on his roster in KC and all 3 of them could block like mad men. We only have 1.5 guys that can block. I Absolutely love this signing.
    I'd rather they pick up a true fullback for blocking purposes rather than another Tight End. Speaking of which...think Hedgecock is planning on sending the Rams a thank you card for waiving him?

This comment is just ridiculous. So just cause we signed him you are saying that everyone in the league doesnt think he can block? I didnt say he was the greatest and bestest blocker.
    Hi, my name is sarcasm. I don't think we've met.

Seriously AV I wonder how you wake up in the morning.
    I'm glad you asked. First, my butler, Remmington, puts on a pot of fresh ground Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee. He then summons the string quartet to quietly play some Mozart or Verdi, gently awakening me from my slumber. I kiss my wife "good morning," and then I'm off to my mineral water shower (stocked each week with water imported from Tibet), while Sergei, my clothing master, lays out my clothes for the day. After a cup of coffee and a croissant, baked by Celine, my pastry chef, I am driven to the office by Roberto, my chauffeur, in my Bentley.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No, but I think its fair to argue that he should have saved his FA money and tried to develop Klop.
    Develop Klop for a third year at Bulgers expense? No thank you.

Klop wasn't developed at all last year. He pretty much sat on the bench.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-06-2008, 09:08 PM
  2. -03-06-2008, 09:08 PM