Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams sign another Tight-end

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    A) Are we sure this is Linehan's pickup, and not Art Valero's?

B) If the problem isn't fixed, would you rather the coaching staff pretend it's okay, and ignore it?

A.) I'm not sure who's pick it is, but if it is Valero or Saunders- then apparently they realized in a relatively short time that there wasn't much talent in what Linehan had already brought in.

B.) Can't Linehan just say he's working on it- like everything else?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    A.) I'm not sure who's pick it is, but if it is Valero or Saunders- then apparently they realized in a relatively short time that there wasn't much talent in what Linehan had already brought in.

B.) Can't Linehan just say he's working on it- like everything else?
    A) And if so, that is a step in the right direction.

B) Unfortunately, for some, that is all it takes.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    B) If the problem isn't fixed, would you rather the coaching staff pretend it's okay, and ignore it?
    This is exactly the point. If the argument is that the position hasn't produced as much as it should or that previous attempts to improve it are wastes, then the team trying to upgrade that position or at least replace lost personnel should be a welcomed move.

The simple fact is this - we lost a blocking tight end to free agency in Walker, and we replaced him with Becht. Maybe I'm way off on this one, but replacing a situational player who leaves in free agency with another situational player with similar strengths strikes me as a fairly solid offseason plan of action.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-11-2008 at 06:53 PM.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The simple fact is this - we lost a blocking tight end to free agency in Walker, and we replaced him with Becht. Maybe I'm way off on this one, but replacing a situational player who leaves in free agency with another situational player with similar strengths strikes me as a fairly solid offseason plan of action.

I don't think anyone here was saying that this was an outrageous or bad signing. I think with it being pretty much an uneventful offseason coming off an attrocious season- there was some jokes flying around to lighten up the situation. You have to admit though- the man does have a tightend fetish.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

This is exactly the point. If the argument is that the position hasn't produced as much as it should or that previous attempts to improve it are wastes, then the team trying to upgrade that position or at least replace lost personnel should be a welcomed move.

sort of like the defensive tackle position?

btimsah Guest

Oh, some wanted me to articulate why I'm against this signing. I'm not against it because he signed a blocking tight end. I'm against it because we have so many other needs and this front office/coaching staff really fails at getting the players they need via free agency. Bect might be the best blocker on earth, but it doesnt change the fact that this off-season has been a disaster, save Saunders. We've lost starters and havent replaced them. We were terrible last year and havent added anyobody to improve our team next year.

This team is looking really bad again next year, unless the young guys for once turn into solid NFL players.

But with Linehan, who wants to bet on that? I'm discouraged and then I see that we did in fact sign another tight end. So I got mad. Do we need another tight end? Sure. But do we need a starting wide reciever more? Uh YES. Do we need a starting defenisve end more? Yes!! Do we get one? No. Do we need Lito Shepard? Yes. Do we make the moves needed to get him? Absolutely not.

We complain about every free-agent out there. Too expensive. Too old. Too much baggage and then GET NOBODY. Take a look at our roster. A bunch of young no-names on defense as a result of this over-analyzation. I don't know that this will ever change with this front office.

I cannot wait until Linehan is fired, but we also need a new front office. Watching the Browns build their team, compared to ours is like having someone pour onion juice in your eyes.

Is this substantive enough?
    Last edited by btimsah; -03-11-2008 at 08:08 PM.

blood85 is offline Registered User

STOP the Press!!!! Another genius move by Linehan, another T.E.!!! Simply amazing!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I don't think anyone here was saying that this was an outrageous or bad signing.
    I'm not so sure. I mean, look at blood's post three spots below your's. That seems to be one example of a person not too happy with the signing, even though as I've pointed out, we're replacing situational personnel, which is a pretty smart strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    sort of like the defensive tackle position?
    Not really, since I think our DT position produced well last year and previous attempts to improve it in recent years have actually worked out (Carriker, Ryan, Glover in a situational role).

Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I'm against it because we have so many other needs and this front office/coaching staff really fails at getting the players they need via free agency.
    Well, let's examine what we've done. They needed a kicker after Wilkins retired, and signed the best kicker on the market. They needed offensive line help, and signed the second best free agent guard on the market. They needed to replace Frerotte as a back-up, and signed a veteran QB familiar with the system. They restructured Little's contract so he could stay, and they resigned some depth players along the offensive line.

I'd say the Rams have gotten a number of players they need, though I agree they haven't addressed everything. However, which free agent DE would you have liked to see them go after? It really wasn't a great market for defensive ends or wide receivers - the top guys at both positions aren't exactly superstars but received some pretty big paydays.

Bect might be the best blocker on earth, but it doesnt change the fact that this off-season has been a disaster, save Saunders.
    We can agree to disagree here. I think calling this offseason a disaster is an exaggeration. Bruce as a starter will likely be replaced by Bennett; given Drew's contract, that was inevitable and was just a matter of when it happened. We'll probably find Hall's replacement through the draft. Chillar's replacement could very well already be on the roster in Chris Draft, as could Romberg's replacement in Incognito, though the Rams do have an option they could sign in Wiegmann.

Do we need another tight end? Sure. But do we need a starting wide reciever more? Uh YES. Do we need a starting defenisve end more? Yes!! Do we get one? No. Do we need Lito Shepard? Yes. Do we make the moves needed to get him? Absolutely not.
    We need a starting WR, and we paid Drew Bennett last year to eventually be that guy. If you thought we were going to go out and spend big money again and bring in a starter to replace Bruce, you were setting yourself up for disappointment. As I said earlier, the starting defensive end could very well come through the draft. We're in a position at the top of round one to add an elite defensive end, or we could add a solid one at the top of our two. As for Lito Sheppard, I'm not sure that we need him, nor do we know how those trade talks worked. Maybe the Eagles wanted too much for him.

I cannot wait until Linehan is fired, but we also need a new front office. Watching the Browns build their team, compared to ours is like having someone pour onion juice in your eyes.
    Comparing us to the Browns is a strange comparison. Cleveland was a 10-win team last year and had nearly triple the amount of cap room going into free agency that we did. I understand the point you're making - it boggles my mind why our cap situation was not better when we supposedly have a cap genius in Zygmunt (sarcasm) - but there's a reason a team like Cleveland could do what they did this offseason.

Is this substantive enough?
    Yes, this was much better than the other post.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-11-2008 at 09:20 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    but there's a reason a team like Cleveland could do what they did this offseason.
    As well, the Browns have had a series of pretty solid drafts. The Browns didn't turn it around in one season. That 10-6 finish was about 4 years in the making.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

btimsah Guest

Well, let's examine what we've done. They needed a kicker after Wilkins retired, and signed the best kicker on the market. They needed offensive line help, and signed the second best free agent guard on the market. They needed to replace Frerotte as a back-up, and signed a veteran QB familiar with the system. They restructured Little's contract so he could stay, and they resigned some depth players along the offensive line.

I'd say the Rams have gotten a number of players they need, though I agree they haven't addressed everything. However, which free agent DE would you have liked to see them go after? It really wasn't a great market for defensive ends or wide receivers - the top guys at both positions aren't exactly superstars but received some pretty big paydays.

We can agree to disagree here. I think calling this offseason a disaster is an exaggeration. Bruce as a starter will likely be replaced by Bennett; given Drew's contract, that was inevitable and was just a matter of when it happened. We'll probably find Hall's replacement through the draft. Chillar's replacement could very well already be on the roster in Chris Draft, as could Romberg's replacement in Incognito, though the Rams do have an option they could sign in Wiegmann.

We need a starting WR, and we paid Drew Bennett last year to eventually be that guy. If you thought we were going to go out and spend big money again and bring in a starter to replace Bruce, you were setting yourself up for disappointment. As I said earlier, the starting defensive end could very well come through the draft. We're in a position at the top of round one to add an elite defensive end, or we could add a solid one at the top of our two. As for Lito Sheppard, I'm not sure that we need him, nor do we know how those trade talks worked. Maybe the Eagles wanted too much for him.

Comparing us to the Browns is a strange comparison. Cleveland was a 10-win team last year and had nearly triple the amount of cap room going into free agency that we did. I understand the point you're making - it boggles my mind why our cap situation was not better when we supposedly have a cap genius in Zygmunt (sarcasm) - but there's a reason a team like Cleveland could do what they did this off season.

Yes, this was much better than the other post.
    The Browns do what we don't do. They go out and aggressively change their team for the better. We let our good guys go and then go after the left overs of the league. Which you CANNOT DO when you only won, what 4 games last year?

How did the Browns get Shaun Rodgers? Where were we on that opportunity? Oh, let me guess. The Rams think they are "Set" at defensive tackle right? Put Rodgers next to Carriker, or move Carriker to back End and let Rodgers play the nose.. Those kinds of moves are non-existent with this organization. Lito Shepard and Shaun Rogers are the type of players we need, but we'll never do what it takes to get them. We'll just continue to sign kickers, tight ends and backup qb's. Oh and the guard we signed is not any better than the ones we have now.

Useless.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

The Browns do what we don't do. They go out and aggressively change their team for the better. We let our good guys go and then go after the left overs of the league. Which you CANNOT DO when you only won, what 4 games last year?

How did the Browns get Shaun Rodgers? Where were we on that opportunity? Oh, let me guess. The Rams think they are "Set" at defensive tackle right? Put Rodgers next to Carriker, or move Carriker to back End and let Rodgers play the nose.. Those kinds of moves are non-existent with this organization. Lito Shepard and Shaun Rogers are the type of players we need, but we'll never do what it takes to get them. We'll just continue to sign kickers, tight ends and backup qb's. Oh and the guard we signed is not any better than the ones we have now.

Useless.
    Marshall Faulk: That's true. The Rams never make big moves in the offseason.

Aeneas Williams: Good point, Marshall.

Will Witherspoon: I wonder why that is.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-06-2008, 09:08 PM
  2. -03-06-2008, 09:08 PM