Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rams sign DT Hovan

Another body on the cheap. nothing more, nothing less.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

This "monumental" signing-SIGH- makes me wonder why in a deep D line draft we didn't take any D Tackles at all. The Rams even passed on the Syracuse DT Arthur Jones in the 5th round to take the immortal Hall Davis. At the time I didn't say much (well not publicly anyway) because it seemed that for some odd reason that Billy and Spags were comfortable with the guys we already had.

But with this news I gotta wonder what is going on. Maybe I am also guilty of reading too much into this or maybe the dislike of the H. Davis pick is still bugging me but, at any rate, this doesn't seem to be the kind of move an organization makes unless there are some kind of problems and issues that are cropping up.

Hope I'm wrong about this.

WHAT SAY YE?

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Oh I agree, Hovan is not very good. But the notion that he could very well be in the mix as part of a rotation, or depending on how things go emerge as a starter, tells you something about what the Rams are working with at DT.[/QUOTE]

WOW, you can say that again

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I liked Chris Hovan when he was with the Vikings, but agree that he won't make much of an impact anymore. It could be that Spags wants a bigger veteran presence on D, even if it's just for camp. Apparently Hovan was a team leader, as mentioned in a blog from the St. Petersburg Times following his release:

The biggest void left by Hovan's release will be his leadership ability. Over the years, he took personal responsibility for leading young players like the late Gaines Adams and Roy Miller. Now, what will be a very young defensive line will have to look elsewhere for its leadership.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    This "monumental" signing-SIGH- makes me wonder why in a deep D line draft we didn't take any D Tackles at all. The Rams even passed on the Syracuse DT Arthur Jones in the 5th round to take the immortal Hall Davis. At the time I didn't say much (well not publicly anyway) because it seemed that for some odd reason that Billy and Spags were comfortable with the guys we already had.

But with this news I gotta wonder what is going on. Maybe I am also guilty of reading too much into this or maybe the dislike of the H. Davis pick is still bugging me but, at any rate, this doesn't seem to be the kind of move an organization makes unless there are some kind of problems and issues that are cropping up.

Hope I'm wrong about this.

WHAT SAY YE?

I didn't really like the Hall Davis and Eugene Sims picks. To me, I just felt that we could have gone elsewhere. But hey, what do I know.

Maybe Arthur Jones wasn't very high on their boards. We'll never know.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Originally Posted by Bing69
    Why sign Hovan when there is a premiere DT still available in John Henderson?!
    You really think anyone currently sitting out there on the market right now qualifies as a "premiere player" at their position?

----------------

I bet you Henderson is better then half the guys currently on a team roster. Bulger is still on the market, are you saying he couldnt help a team out?

Maybe the word 'premiere' was misleading, how about 'above average'!?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Veteran guy to help out the kids. Won't be any more than that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Veteran guy to help out the kids. Won't be any more than that.
    Yes, that seems to be the consensus here -- and I'm going with it too.

As DTs in our roster are concerned, we will end up with one too many. Sooner than later, that is, and not waiting all the way till the 53 names list comes around.

For now, Welcome Hovan!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    I bet you Henderson is better then half the guys currently on a team roster. Bulger is still on the market, are you saying he couldnt help a team out?

Maybe the word 'premiere' was misleading, how about 'above average'!?
    No one's saying they can't help a club out in some way, but the classification as a "premiere player" is what I was disagreeing with. Henderson's been on the market as long as Hovan has, so that should probably give you an indication as to what personnel people in the league think about his ability to contribute in 2010. And I don't think it's "premiere," and may not even be "above average." Those days are probably in the past for both of these guys.

Ironically, Bill Coats was asked about this in a chat the other day...

Reggie Abreu: Hey Jim,

Just wondering why did the Rams go after an aging vet at DT in Chris Hovan when they could have gotten a better vet who is slightly younger and actually better in John Henderson?

Bill Coats: Maybe they don't agree with your evaluation of Henderson.
    Also, Kevin Demoff came here from Tampa Bay, so he should have a good read on Hovan and what he should be able to offer the Rams.
    That adds a different element to it, as well. Don't be surprised when coaches or front office people go with players they're familiar with from previous time elsewhere, if the talent is close or comparable. That's the way of the NFL. If the Rams didn't view Henderson as being better than Hovan, then they're probably going with the guy they know better in Hovan.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Also, Kevin Demoff came here from Tampa Bay, so he should have a good read on Hovan and what he should be able to offer the Rams.
    Ohh, Demoff! (said in a manner like that of a Family Feud audience after the final survey answer is read)

I've been racking my brain, trying to figure out the connection between Hovan and the coaching staff. But it was Demoff that "6-degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon"ed back to Hovan.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Birdbrain is offline Registered User

Insurance policy.At least he's durable just in case.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    Hmm veteran presence for the younger ones or would he bring something in rotation. With Robbins, Ryan, Gibson, Scott he might not get much playing time.

I liked him in his prime, but he seems a bit washed up now
    Wait....Hovan is 32 and he's past his prime? Shoot I'm 53 and haven't hit my prime yet. At least I don't think so, unless it blew by so fast I didn't know it.

How do we know that Hovan didn't have other offers on the table from other NFL teams that he didn't except for one reason or another? I like this signing, we need more tough guys in the trenches.

GO RAMS!

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Good Sign, who cares...you know we need Defensive Line might as well stock them up and draft a sick DT next year

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123