Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Rams Sign FB Ovie Mughelli

schut39 is offline Registered User

Rams Sign FB Ovie Mughelli

31 minutes ago • BY JIM THOMAS

Veteran fullback Ovie Mughelli, a 2010 Pro Bowler most recently with Atlanta, has signed a one-year deal with the St. Louis Rams.

Mughelli, 32, was a fourth-round draft pick by Baltimore in 2003 out of Wake Forest. After four seasons with the Ravens, Mughelli signed a six-year, $18 million contract with Atlanta in 2007 _ a deal purported at the time to be the biggest ever for a fullback in the NFL.

His 2011 season ended in Week 7 with a right knee injury against Detroit, and Mughelli's time with Atlanta ended May 8 with his release by the Falcons. He had been cleared to practice following the injury just before his release.

After trading for cornerback Asante Samuel, the Falcons needed to clear salary cap space. Mughelli has been scheduled to earn $3 million in 2012. In addtion, Atlanta drafted fullback Bradie Ewing of Wisconsin in the fifth round.

Mughelli subsequently paid a free-agent visit to the Rams later in the spring. At 6-1, 255, he's regarded as a powerful run blocker and will compete with Brit Miller and undrafted rookie Todd Anderson for the fullback job in St. Louis.

The Rams' won't need to release a player to make room for Mughelli on the 90-man training camp roster because they were two-under the roster limit before signing him.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Sign FB Ovie Mughelli

If healthy, this could be a really impactful signing. The 2012 Rams may be known as the GSOG (greatest show on ground). I truly believe that Fisher has every intent of pounding the ball over and over to set up the throwing game, mixing in Pead and his breakaway potential. The best way to help Sammy and the O Line pass protection wise is going to be keeping out of the bad down and distance situations, wearing down the other team, and facilitating the use of the play action pass. This will also help us defensively, since we won't be on the field forever on that side of the ball and wear down in the second half.

Ovie is a stud blocking fullback. The question is whether he is healthy and ready to play.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Nice. Hopefully he has some gas left in the tank.
    Nick likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Interesting. I was rooting for Todd Anderson to win the FB job, maybe he can learn behind Mughelli.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Interesting. I was rooting for Todd Anderson to win the FB job...
    Same here!

Just a hunch of course, but from the little I've researched from his Michigan State years, I think TA is a real FB, good size too. I sure wish the Rams would have a strong, durable FB in their running game!

--

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Agreed RealRam. He's put like a really big linebacker/defensive end. He weighs close to like 275?

That would be great for Steven Jackson to have a fullback for once that's bigger than him.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

This could be a camp signing intended to showcase Mughelli's talents to other teams looking for a FB if they have a starter go down. He's 32 and that makes him about the oldest guy on the team, not Fisher's strategy from where I sit. Of course I may be totally wrong and Jeff/Brian see something they like with him.

Go Rams!

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

It's other trash that sometimes becomes your treasure. If we can get a WR or one of these youngsters devlops in camp it will be great. and a CB wouldn't be bad, oh and maybe someone to create competition on the offensive line.