Rams sign offensive lineman

By Kathleen Nelson
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    06/12/2004

The Rams beefed up their offensive line by agreeing to terms with tackle Jeff Hatch.

A third-round pick out of Penn by the Giants in 2002, Hatch missed his entire rookie season after having back surgery. He started the last four games in 2003 but was released on March 22.

Hatch could see lots of action in the Rams' preseason camp, which opens July 28. Starter Kyle Turley is on the mend after offseason surgery on his back, and All-Pro Orlando Pace has been designated the team's franchise player and has yet to sign a contract. Thus, Hatch should share time with the teams' other tackles - Grant Williams, Andy King and Joel Hoffman.

In addition, the Rams signed punter Jesse Nicassio to a one-year deal for $230,000. Nicassio is a rookie free agent from Eastern Washington.

The Rams agreed to terms with two other players:

Defensive back Nijrell Eason, a free agent who played with the Arizona Cardinals. Eason signed with the Cardinals as a free agent out of Arizona State in 2002 and played in one game on special teams. He spent last season on injured reserve.

Wide receiver Brian Sump, who played with the Los Angeles Avengers in the Arena League. A 2003 graduate of the Colorado School of Mines, Sump was signed as a rookie free agent by the Chargers but was released in camp last year.

Another roster addition is guard Peter Heyer, assigned to the Rams as part of the NFL International Development Practice Squad program. A native of Germany, Heyer, 6-3, 310, is a three-year veteran of the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe. He will not be eligible to be claimed by another team or promoted to an active roster.

The Rams also released two rookie free agents, wide receiver Nick Narcisse of Tulane and defensive tackle Jeff Ruffin of Illinois.

Rams add scout

Dave Boller has joined the Rams' college scouting department after six years with the Philadelphia Eagles. Boller, 42, also worked as a college scout for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 1995 to 1997. Before joining the pro ranks, Boller served as an administrative assistant for football operations at Arizona State University under Larry Marmie, who is now the Rams' defensive coordinator.

Contract figures

Tight end Cam Cleeland's one-year contract was for $565,000, which includes a $25,000 roster bonus, according to the NFL Players Association. Free safety Justin Lucas's one year deal was for $540,000.

vicdan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams sign offensive lineman

Well hope somebody step up although I doubt it
    vicdan

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    Hatch could see lots of action in the Rams' preseason camp, which opens July 28. Starter Kyle Turley is on the mend after offseason surgery on his back, and All-Pro Orlando Pace has been designated the team's franchise player and has yet to sign a contract. Thus, Hatch should share time with the teams' other tackles - Grant Williams, Andy King and Joel Hoffman.
    If Pace hasn't signed the tender by then, then I'll be pretty disappointed. His comments to the Post Dispatch were pretty optimistic about a deal getting done, so I would assume Pace would want to sign the tender and get in with the team during the offseason to show he's willing and ready to come to the table and negotiate. The fact that it happens makes me wonder if Pace's comment were nothing but a PR stunt to try and get some heat off his back.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

I hope that there is no correlation between this signing and the status of turley's recovery from back surgery. One way or another Pace will wind up ready to play when the season starts, but if turley's back isnt right, that is very bad news for us. I have no info that tells me turley is anything other than on schedule for return to camp, but i am just concerned as a back injury is a tricky thing and i know he lost a lot of weight.

ramming speed to all

general counsel