RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams sign punter

From Rotoworld:

Rams signed punter B.J. Sander, formerly of the Packers.
    St. Louis might still bring back free agent Matt Turk, but Sander, a former third-round bust, is the lone punter on the Rams' roster currently.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Rams sign punter

Rams sign ex-Green Bay punter
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/05/2007

In a move that could signal that punter Matt Turk is headed elsewhere, the Rams on Monday signed street free agent B.J. Sander to a contract. Terms weren't immediately available.

Sander, 26, was the Ray Guy Award winner as the nation's top college punter in 2003 at Ohio State. He was a third-round draft pick by the Green Bay Packers in 2004, but did not play that season.

In '05 he averaged 39.2 yards on 64 punts in 14 games with the Packers, missing the final two games of the season with a knee injury. Sander had a net of 33.9 yards and dropped 11 punts inside the 20.
    Advertisement

Sander was out of football last season.

After an impressive '06 season with the Rams, Turk is shopping the market as a free agent.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It's obviously a smart move on the Rams part bringing in another punter. What confuses me is that Turk is testing the market after stating that he wants to remain with the Rams for 2007. I'm guessing he's trying find out what what his market value is and then approach the Rams? The Rams on the otherhand just signed on an insurance policy in case Turk comes back with a price tag that's to high in their opinion?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I may be wrong on this, but i think given that turk and steussie both signed under veteran expemptions last year for the minimum, there is some period of time that has to pass before they can resign with the rams. I would love if someone could check on that and verify.

I agree, this is hopefully nothing more than insurance, i sure hope we are still going after turk.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Keenum is offline Registered User

I'd love to keep Turk, but at least we don't have to worry about getting a punter in case Turk leaves.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Let's hope he turns out to be a decent acquisition.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Facing-The-Giant View Post
    why do we do this?? I want to keep turk!! BJ Sander was a 2nd round pick, Not 3rd, anyway, why do we consistantly change punters?? bj is probably costing us more than matt would. Matt if you are reading this, COME BACK, WE NEED you
    Fairly certain he was a third rounder, dude.

"2004 Third round pick, #87"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B.J._Sander

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Color me skeptical. I remember the last time we brought in a young guy instead of going with an experienced punter - releasing Sean Landeta and signing Reggie Hodges who just might be the worst punter I've ever seen. Age doesn't matter that much in punters, we should get Turk signed instead. At least sign both Turk and Sanders and let them compete in training camp, I don't want to go into the season with only an unproven draft-bust as our punter, I could mean a lot of yards lost every game...

im_a_king_co07 is offline Registered User

Sander was a 3rd rounder at one point so he has to have SOME ability. I would like to have turk back but ill give this guy a chance if we dont get turk back.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Color me skeptical. I remember the last time we brought in a young guy instead of going with an experienced punter - releasing Sean Landeta and signing Reggie Hodges who just might be the worst punter I've ever seen. Age doesn't matter that much in punters, we should get Turk signed instead. At least sign both Turk and Sanders and let them compete in training camp, I don't want to go into the season with only an unproven draft-bust as our punter, I could mean a lot of yards lost every game...
    I wonder if Ray Guy is available?

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Not only was Turk the best punter we have had in years, I think he had the most tackles on the punt TEAM!!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!