Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams sign QB Brandstater to practice squad, look at CBs & RBs

Rams sign practice squad QB; look at CBs, RBs
    BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 12:35 pm

The St. Louis Rams have signed former Fresno State quarterback Tom Brandstater to their practice squad. They also added former University of Missouri center Tim Barnes to the practice squad.

To make room for those two, running back Chase Reynolds and safety Jonathan Nelson (a 7th-round draft pick in April) were released from the practice squad.

The team also worked out a host of cornerbacks and running backs because of injuries to Ron Bartell (neck) and Bradley Fletcher (toe) at corner, and Steven Jackson (quad) at running back.

Cornerbacks working out Tuesday were: Fred Bennett, Rod Hood, Nathan Jones, and Robert McClain. Running backs working out were Stafon Johnson, Lonyae Miller, and Wynel Seldon.

As of late Tuesday afternoon, the team had not signed any of those players. But it seems certain two players will be signed to the active roster, probably by Wednesday morning. It could be two corners, but most likely it's a corner and a running back. (With Jackson probably out against the New York Giants, the Rams don't want to go into the game with just two running backs.)

To create the two roster spots, the team will place guard/center Drew Miller on waivers and place Ron Bartell on injured reserve.

Brandstater was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the sixth round of the 2009 draft; Rams offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was in his first season as Broncos head coach. The Rams' personnel department also had some interest in Brandstater that year, because he made a pre-draft visit to Rams Park.

In another injury development, backup defensive end C.J. Ah You needs surgery to have a pin inserted in his wrist after injuring the wrist against Philadelphia, and will be out at least a week. That means first-round draft pick Robert Quinn, a surprise pregame inactive against Philadelphia, will make his NFL debut Monday night against the New York Giants.

Read more: Rams sign practice squad QB; look at CBs, RBs

QuinnMan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams sign QB Brandstater to practice squad, look at CBs & RBs

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    In another injury development, backup defensive end C.J. Ah You needs surgery to have a pin inserted in his wrist after injuring the wrist against Philadelphia, and will be out at least a week. That means first-round draft pick Robert Quinn, a surprise pregame inactive against Philadelphia, will make his NFL debut Monday night against the New York Giants.

Read more: Rams sign practice squad QB; look at CBs, RBs
    wow finally a backup has a injury! So excited to have Quinn appear in his first game! he's going to tear it up..

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnMan View Post
    wow finally a backup has a injury! So excited to have Quinn appear in his first game! he's going to tear it up..
    He really needs to, honestly.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

Man wish they would have listen LOL this was my 53 man roster....

Running Back (Four)

1. Steven Jackson

2. Cadillac Williams

3. Jerious Norwood

4. Brit Miller (Fullback)

Practice Squad

Keith Toston

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnMan View Post
    I too am stoked for the arrival of the 'Mighty Quinn'!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Hood is the only DB I've heard of, not that it means much.

Brandstater was a fav sleeper pick for a lot of draftniks,no? Certainly a guy who got a lot of press in the SF Bay Area during his college career. I always hated the 2 QB plan & losing The Thadiator but he's a decent consolation.

Stafon ? Lonyae ? Wynel ? Well, those names would certainly fit in with Jerious and Carnell. No idea if they can play.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

can remember Brandstater being a prospect in a few peoples mocks too...he`s about 6ft 5 if i recall correctly..maybe we could use him as a catcher in the red zone. glad the Rams have more than 2 QB`s again now. i wish we had kept Thad and hired a QB coach instead of keeping Feely for that role,but hey ho..it`s done now.
    sounds like McD had a part in this pick up, maybe he can unlock his potential and get us a good draft pick in return for him in the future .

Fred Bennett had a decent rookie year with the Texans. been bounced around a bit the last couple of years.

McClain is a feisty but short corner,offers some punt return value. it`s funny but he said if he doesn`t make it in the NFL he`ll join the marines..it`s funny because he`s only 5ft 9.

most people heard of Hood i guess...

Stafon Johnson is a former Trojan so i`m guessing most have heard of him and about his accident a couple of years ago, when he nearly died. he`s a young `un with some upside.hope we sign him if we gonna get any of those RB`s in. tho i must admit the others i`m not so familiar with.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Man wish they would have listen LOL this was my 53 man roster....

Running Back (Four)

1. Steven Jackson

2. Cadillac Williams

3. Jerious Norwood

4. Brit Miller (Fullback)

Practice Squad

Keith Toston
    The team isn't dumb. Toston was not eligable to join the practice squad......