Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rams sign Quintin Mikell

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams sign Quintin Mikell

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The eagles let him go for cap reasons. Not because of performance. They simply didnt have the money to pay him and have other needs.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    From the numbers I'm able to find, the Eagles have more cap room than the Rams do. So I don't think it's a cap crunch like Dallas or Baltimore.

Frankly, I think they knew Mikell would cost a pretty penny to retain, and given his age, just decided to let him go and get younger at the position by drafting Jaiquawn Jarrett.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Frankly, I think they knew Mikell would cost a pretty penny to retain, and given his age, just decided to let him go and get younger at the position by drafting Jaiquawn Jarrett.
    I'd agree with that. Conversely, for the Rams, Mikell is an instant starter who should be able to hit the ground running, given the similarities between the Eagles and Rams' defensive systems. He also brings some veteran leadership to a defense that is pretty young.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Im getting the sense now with Cofield off the board that the Rams will sign a low key defensive tackle free agent along with more undrafted defensive tackles and have that position next to robbins hashed out in training camp. I'm sensing a heavy rotation along the defensive line.

Hopefully we can get some guys to emerge in training camp. Hell I'd go out on a limb here and say that its crucial for a few guys to emerge because as we all know the Spags defense requires consistent pressure on the quarterback and for that to happen we need guys that provide pressure up the middle and push that pocket back.

Heres to a strong camp for the Rams because we will really need these "potential" guys like your Danario Alexanders, Jerome Murphys, Averys, etc. to not only contribute but to become unquestioned forces here.

With all the excitement that is surrounding free agency (as is the case in every year) fans will forget how crucial it is for good teams to develop their own in house players. Developing the guys we get through the draft and that we find on the street will be critical for us to not only gain success this year but to sustain success.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Im getting the sense now with Cofield off the board that the Rams will sign a low key defensive tackle free agent along with more undrafted defensive tackles and have that position next to robbins hashed out in training camp. I'm sensing a heavy rotation along the defensive line.
    I'm glad you mentioned this. Perhaps we should get used to seeing Ah You and Hall playing that DT spot more often than not. Spags may very well be planning to rotate that spot multiple times a game with multiple players. Heck, I could see him sliding Long over once or twice. Whatever the case, I know Spags won't let that DT spot become a weakness.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I have two brothers who are eagles fans, so i watch my share of eagles games. This guy gets burnt over the top, and is a shotty tackler. He does step into the whole good and probably a better blitzer than atogwe. But he is 31 and we signed him to four years. I don't like the deal. I don't think he is as good as advertised.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    I have two brothers who are eagles fans, so i watch my share of eagles games. This guy gets burnt over the top, and is a shotty tackler. He does step into the whole good and probably a better blitzer than atogwe. But he is 31 and we signed him to four years. I don't like the deal. I don't think he is as good as advertised.
    Understood but the guy was a Pro Bowler during the 2009 season hes not far removed from that hoping hes that guy.
    :ramlogo:

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    Lord save us from hyper-critical Philly fans....Mikell started all but one game in 3 yrs so he's durable which has been a major issue with Butler and Dahl which is who you should be comparing him with since he is SS, not FS... He's got 36 PDs over those 3 yrs so hard to believe that he gets "burned over the top" a lot. I don't even understand the positives you mentioned since he hardly ever gets sacks so define "good blitzer"?

And his tackle numbers are strong & have got stronger every year over the last 3. Throw in a few forced fumbles & recoveries (inc one for a TD; I know, I know, who remembers the last Rams defensive TD?...I don't) & I think the Rams got a good player. Is he gonna reinvent the wheel? Probably not but he's a quality addition & major upgrade over our current SS.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Lovin it!!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    Understood but the guy was a Pro Bowler during the 2009 season he’s not far removed from that hoping he’s that guy.
    Plus, he was named second team All-Pro last year. The guy is solid and was a great pickup.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    who remembers the last Rams defensive TD?
    Well it SHOULD have been Cliff Ryan in the game against Arizona last year, but i believe it was Leonard Little against Jacksonville the season before that

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Well it SHOULD have been Cliff Ryan in the game against Arizona last year, but i believe it was Leonard Little against Jacksonville the season before that
    Thx for the reminder. Apologies to Leonard; I should have remembered that great play & I guess it's appropriate that YOU did since he launched himself over the goal line from about five yards out like a Tomahawk missile,IIRC.

Speaking of Ryan, I wonder if his chances of coming back might have got better now that Cofield is out of the picture.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'll reserve my judgement until I see him play in a Rams uniform. My initial reaction is we overpaid him and considering his age, I'd like to have seen no more than a 2 to 3 year deal, but we'll soon find out what's, what.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    It will be interesting to see who starts at safety week 1 - Mikell and Stewart?
    It's gotta be Mikell, especially considering the fact he will be going up against his former squad, Philly.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'll reserve my judgement until I see him play in a Rams uniform. My initial reaction is we overpaid him and considering his age, I'd like to have seen no more than a 2 to 3 year deal, but we'll soon find out what's, what.
    Here are some contract numbers from this year to compare...

Weddle: 5 years, $50 million total, $19 million guaranteed
    Mikell: 4 years, $27 million total, $14 million guaranteed
    Atogwe: 5 years, $26 million total, $9.4 million guaranteed

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Here are some contract numbers from this year to compare...

Weddle: 5 years, $50 million total, $19 million guaranteed
    Mikell: 4 years, $27 million total, $14 million guaranteed
    Atogwe: 5 years, $26 million total, $9.4 million guaranteed
    I can't believe Atogwe signed for less than Weddle and Mikell. Looks like he should have waited a bit before committing to a garbage team like Washington.

Heh!! It wouldn't surprise me if O.J. is already hankerin' to renegotiate....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast