throwback week

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By tomahawk247
  • 2 Post By general counsel

Thread: Rams sign RT Richardson, LB Haggan

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams sign RT Richardson, LB Haggan

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Re: Rams sign RT Richardson, LB Haggan

was about to post it! but YES!!!! he is a great addition to the team and haggan is decent also... SEPT cant get here any slower...

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

Who are these guys. Anybody have any info. As for Barron. Good for the seahags. Barron stinks.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    Who are these guys. Anybody have any info. As for Barron. Good for the seahags. Barron stinks.
    They'd be fine depth signings; hopefully they aren't asked to be anything more than that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Not too excited about these signings. According to a lot of KC fans Richardson absolutely stinks and may be one of the worst in the league at RT.

And, I believe that Haggans is more of a 3 - 4 OLB type and I really don't see where he fits in at this point.

Maybe these guys are just going to be camp bodies or something.

WHAT SAY YE?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Barry Richardson... finally. We were talking with him a few months back, love the addition. 4 year pro, 26 years old, and has played in 48 games. Thats nice depth! Not Quinn Ojinnaka.. Ironic that our backup RT has started more games than our starting RT.

Haggan is a nice vet, I wouldn't want him starting though. 2 more nice additions!

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Interesting.

Richardson was very maligned by Chiefs fans, primarily for his pass blocking, but he's only 26, and has been a starter on an O line that has (particularly in 2010) done a fairly good job at run blocking. He's clearly an insurance policy for Jason Smith, but I also wonder if he might be in the mix at OG.

Haggans is a bit of a head-scratcher. He played OLB in a 3-4 in Denver but, given his listed weight of 274, he seems more like a back-up DE to me than a prospect to play OLB for the Rams.

I suspect the Rams will add a few more veteran FAs to help plug a few gaps in the roster. That's fine, as long as Fisher avoids Spags' tendency to favor aged vets over younger players.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

From the Rams' official site:

Rams Sign Veteran LB Haggan, OT Richardson Posted by nickwagoner on May 15, 2012 – 9:00 PM

- In the search for more depth at outside linebacker and on the offensive line, the Rams added a pair of veterans on Tuesday afternoon. Linebacker Mario Haggan, who was most recently with Denver, and offensive tackle Barry Richardson, who spent his first four seasons with Kansas City, inked deals with the Rams soon after the team completed its first OTA Tuesday morning.
    - Haggan is a nine-year veteran who spent his first five seasons in Buffalo before spending the last four with the Broncos. For the Bills, Haggan was mostly a special teams player before he moved to Denver as a free agent.
    - In 2009, Haggan became a starter at strongside linebacker, posting 63 tackles and three forced fumbles. The following year he had his best season, coming up with 87 tackles, five sacks and two forced fumbles.
    - Haggan figures to get a look on the strong side where Josh Hull is currently taking the reps with the top unit. Listed at 6’3, 274 pounds, the 32-year old Haggan provides an imposing presence on the strong side. He figures into the mix to provide depth and potentially compete for a starting spot on the strong side for the Rams.
    - Richardson was originally a sixth round pick by Kansas City in 2008. He started just one game in his first two years before becoming a full time starter on the right side in 2010. Over the past two seasons, Richardson started every game at right tackle for the Chiefs.
    - Listed at 6’6, 319 pounds, Richardson figures to provide depth for the Rams at tackle and could potentially get an opportunity to work at guard. Jason Smith is the starter right now at right tackle with Rodger Saffold on the left side. Quinn Ojinnaka is the only other veteran at tackle on the roster.
    - Richardson visited the Rams on a free agent trip earlier in the offseason.
    - Haggan and Richardson are expected to join the team for OTA No. 2 tomorrow.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Last year... Barry Richardson had a bad year and it started early.

Chiefs RT Barry Richardson was flagged for three holding penalties in Kansas City's preseason game against the Rams on Friday.
    He was manhandled by Chris Long. It's bad news for a player who struggled mightily in pass protection last season. Ideally, Richardson would eventually be sent to the bench with Jared Gaither taking over at left tackle and Branden Albert shifting to right tackle.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

To be fair to Richardson, you won't find many tackles that haven't been beaten by Chris Long
    Jonze and THOLTFAN81 like this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

News flash, the pickings at offensive tackle are very slim. I will take whatever we can get at this point to give us some pulse behind the two starters, both of whom i remind everyone are coming off season ending injuries and one of whom has been injured off and on throughout his entire short career. I am sick of Goldberg, who i never thought very highly of, and who (thankfully) has moved on. Maybe we can coach Richardson up, and i like the fact that he is still only 26, stranger things have happened.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Aussie Dave and mde8352gorams like this.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I guess the signings at this point are purely for depth, because what I have just read about Richardson getting manhandled by Chris Long ( although I like the sound of it), its not good for our O-line depth.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Camp bodies in my opinion.

next!