Rams sign safety Knight
STLtoday.com Sports
08/03/2004

MACOMB, Ill. -- Safety Tom Knight, a six-year veteran who played last season with the Baltimore Ravens, signed a one-year contract with the Rams today.

Knight, 5-foot-11 and 196 pounds, was a first-round draft pick (ninth overall) out of Iowa by the Arizona Cardinals in 1997. He played five seasons for the Cardinals.

Knight spent the final three weeks of the 2002 season on the Ravens' roster, then played 10 games last season for Baltimore, starting one.

For his NFL career, Knight has played in 73 games and started 54. He also has appeared in three postseason games.

The Rams released running back Adam Matthews, a rookie out of Northern Colorado who signed with the team April 30.

Camp at a Glance

Injured: TE Cam Cleeland (hamstring), S Rich Coady (back), CB Robert Cromartie (hamstring), G Ryan Schau (back), LB Brandon Spoon (hamstring), OT Kyle Turley (back), C Dave Wohlabaugh (hip).

Absent: OT Orlando Pace (contract).

Today's schedule: Practices are scheduled for 8:10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Times are subject to change. For up-to-date practice information, call 1-866-726-7226. Practices are free and open to the public.

Bits and pieces:

CB Jerametrius Butler (hamstring), CB Travis Fisher (ankle) and DT Ryan Pickett (illness) were back at practice Monday.

RB Marshall Faulk sat out the full-pads workout as the Rams bring him along slowly after offseason knee surgery.

K Dillon Pieffer, an undrafted rookie from Nevada-Las Vegas, became the first camp casualty. He was cut Sunday night.

Overheard:

"I've got to tell you, it's hard for me to hold my enthusiasm about him. He just has been awesome in every practice." - coach Mike Martz, on quarterback Marc Bulger.

"That's cool. He wants me to make a play every time." - Rookie DE Anthony Hargrove, on the near-constant harangues he receives from defensive line coach Bill Kollar.