Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Rams sign WR Danario Alexander!

Well, at least now the boner that this forum has for Brooks Foster can finally be put to rest. Yes, that Brook Foster, who was the 3rd WR on his COLLEGE team. That Brook Foster that 90% of posters here thought would make the team and be a contributor ...

Here's to hoping D.A. is the steal of a lifetime! Who knows ...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The thing is, we may have not seen Foster go at it, but the DeSpags definently did.

I don't really care anyways, I was dieng for D.A to come.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

DA will be on the practice squad.

rob6465 is offline Registered User

Rams are starting to remind me of the cowboys team that was 1-15 with a rookie QB in Troy Aikman. All the pieces they added were the pieces that made them a dynasty.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Every team in the league had a chance to snag him as a draft pick or undrafted free agent, and they didn't. That leads me to believe he'd probably be pretty safe on our practice squad.
    In general I would agree, except it wasn't a lack of talent that had them concerned I am willing to bet, but health questions. If he proves he is healthy, I don't see a reason a team that needs WRs doesn't take a flyer on him. Let the Rams pay him the money and take up a space in training camp to see if he can actually play, then snag him up if he can. If he can't and gets hurt, it's on the Rams to fix him.

Basically it will allow other teams to see if he is healthy enough to play while putting the risk that he isn't on the Rams. He could still be practice squad, but if he looks healthy I doubt he stays.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    In general I would agree, except it wasn't a lack of talent that had them concerned I am willing to bet, but health questions. If he proves he is healthy, I don't see a reason a team that needs WRs doesn't take a flyer on him.
    How many NFL teams are so devoid of WR talent that they can pick up a practice squad player who has virtually no shot of contributing for the season and holding him on their active roster while he develops? The Rams did it last year and most of those guys are still struggling a year later. DA is fighting a serious uphill battle just to make the Rams roster next season.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post
    Why not? I've never really heard of a WR not translating.
    There were a couple of knocks on Alexander that were brought up pre-draft that were concerning for the next level: poor short area quickness, not physical enough for a receiver his size, lanky, inability to gain separation, lack of experience in a pro route tree, to name a few. Then you add the massive injury history on top of that, but even before his injury at the Senior Bowl, the reviews of his practices in a pro-style setting were not very positive. Obviously that's not the be-all-and-end-all of the discussion, but you have to take it into consideration. WR's can have problems translating, just like any other position. Freddie Barnes and Dezmon Briscoe put up great numbers in college as well, but weren't highly regarded by NFL teams when the draft rolled around. Their ability to translate depends on a number of factors, including their skills and what NFL people see on field.

Obviously NFL organizations can get it wrong, and the Rams have been the beneficiary of teams getting personnel moves wrong in the past. But I always kind of go back to this when Alexander comes up - if he really had the kind of elite potential that many of his fans will point to, wouldn't someone have taken a flier on him earlier than now? It's not as if teams haven't drafted or signed injured players before. I just don't see Alexander becoming the kind of NFL player that some of his bigger fans think he will be - even if he is able to overcome the weaknesses in his game, he'll have to find a way to stay on the field which he's struggled with. I'd like nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and become the next Marques Colston or whatever, because I think the Rams are desperate for a true #1 receiver. But I don't see it happening for Alexander, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    In general I would agree, except it wasn't a lack of talent that had them concerned I am willing to bet, but health questions.
    Even if talent had nothing to do with it, it's not as if teams completely avoid talented prospects due to health or injury issues; heck, Denver drafted two injured WRs just this year. If you have the talent, a team is going to take a flier. Sign him after the draft and stash him on the PUP list, where (I believe) he doesn't take up a roster spot but can still sit in on team meetings and what not. But no one has until the Rams signed him yesterday, even when Alexander was cleared and had his pro day. As I said above, obviously other organizations can make mistakes, but I think the complete lack of interest from the rest of the league has to be taken into consideration when looking at a guy like Alexander.

richtree is offline Registered User

Sure there are some problems, but you SHOULD NOT compare him to

Freddie Barnes and Dezmon Briscoe....

Alexander was one of the best WR's in the nation not some runn of the mill guy

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

There were a couple of knocks on Alexander that were brought up pre-draft that were concerning for the next level: poor short area quickness, not physical enough for a receiver his size, lanky, inability to gain separation, lack of experience in a pro route tree, to name a few. Then you add the massive injury history on top of that, but even before his injury at the Senior Bowl, the reviews of his practices in a pro-style setting were not very positive. Obviously that's not the be-all-and-end-all of the discussion, but you have to take it into consideration. WR's can have problems translating, just like any other position. Freddie Barnes and Dezmon Briscoe put up great numbers in college as well, but weren't highly regarded by NFL teams when the draft rolled around. Their ability to translate depends on a number of factors, including their skills and what NFL people see on field.

Obviously NFL organizations can get it wrong, and the Rams have been the beneficiary of teams getting personnel moves wrong in the past. But I always kind of go back to this when Alexander comes up - if he really had the kind of elite potential that many of his fans will point to, wouldn't someone have taken a flier on him earlier than now? It's not as if teams haven't drafted or signed injured players before. I just don't see Alexander becoming the kind of NFL player that some of his bigger fans think he will be - even if he is able to overcome the weaknesses in his game, he'll have to find a way to stay on the field which he's struggled with. I'd like nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and become the next Marques Colston or whatever, because I think the Rams are desperate for a true #1 receiver. But I don't see it happening for Alexander, personally.

Even if talent had nothing to do with it, it's not as if teams completely avoid talented prospects due to health or injury issues; heck, Denver drafted two injured WRs just this year. If you have the talent, a team is going to take a flier. Sign him after the draft and stash him on the PUP list, where (I believe) he doesn't take up a roster spot but can still sit in on team meetings and what not. But no one has until the Rams signed him yesterday, even when Alexander was cleared and had his pro day. As I said above, obviously other organizations can make mistakes, but I think the complete lack of interest from the rest of the league has to be taken into consideration when looking at a guy like Alexander.
    Perhaps Mr. Alexander may have had other opportunities post-draft to sign on, and he did not, considering what appeared to be an overwhelming desire to play for the Rams when he was interviewed awhile back.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

If D.A lands on the practice squad i wouldnt make a deal about it cause Foster wouldve probly been there anyway...but IMO this kid looks appealing....

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

How did your prediction turn out that Tony Pike wouldn't last past the 3rd round? I seem to remember you guaranteed it because he was da bomb.

I think you missed the point. Barnes and Briscoe were brought up not as a comparison but to illustrate that production on Saturdays doesn't automatically or necessarily translate to a guy being considered a great Sunday prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Perhaps Mr. Alexander may have had other opportunities post-draft to sign on, and he did not, considering what appeared to be an overwhelming desire to play for the Rams when he was interviewed awhile back.
    That could be, but it didn't stop him from taking a visit with division rival Seattle after his pro day, so I'm not sure I'd consider it likely.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think you missed the point. Barnes and Briscoe were brought up not as a comparison but to illustrate that production on Saturdays doesn't automatically or necessarily translate to a guy being considered a great Sunday prospect.
    I think you are missing my point. The production of an average WR on Saturday cannot be compared to WR with the most yards in the nation and one of the best atheletes in college football.

The other 2 guys were just WR's that were ok, not outstanding.

You just compared Jimmy Clausen to Mike Teal.

I think you are missing my point. The production of an average WR on Saturday cannot be compared to WR with the most yards in the nation and one of the best atheletes in college football.

The other 2 guys were just WR's that were ok, not outstanding.

You just compared Jimmy Clausen to Mike Teal.
    Again, I'm not making comparisons. I'm trying to illustrate a point about college production as it relates to pro potential. I'll leave it at that, because I feel like I'm just repeating myself.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Here's a point to be made, the last time I checked we don't have the next Boldin, Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson on this team. Bring in whoever we can and let's see if what they've got. We don't need the next "Greatest reciever in the NFL" on this team, we just need someone who can run a route and catch a ball. DA may be that guy for now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast