Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Re: Rams sign WR Danario Alexander!

Guys, Freddie Barnes had like 150+ receptions and 17 TD's. He's absolutely comparable to DA, as is Briscoe.

That said, the guy is ALL upside. If it's him or Foster...gimme a break.

Bottom line: we're giving this guy the minimum and he has a (long) shot to turn into a real player.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DPskywalker View Post
    Guys, Freddie Barnes had like 150+ receptions and 17 TD's. He's absolutely comparable to DA, as is Briscoe.

Barnes played for Bowling Green, so give me a break. He was also very undersized and a 23 year old senior. So you are wrong.

Dezmon Briscoe was heatlhy and still didn't get drafted ahead of his teammate Kerry Meier....both late round selections

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Perhaps Mr. Alexander may have had other opportunities post-draft to sign on, and he did not, considering what appeared to be an overwhelming desire to play for the Rams when he was interviewed awhile back.
    I guess we should have run a CAT scan on him as well.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Barnes played for Bowling Green, so give me a break. He was also very undersized and a 23 year old senior. So you are wrong.
    So? Alexander played in a league that, with one exception, is fundamentally opposed to the concept of playing defense. Which is something NFL teams look at.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    So? Alexander played in a league that, with one exception, is fundamentally opposed to the concept of playing defense. Which is something NFL teams look at.

Your are right Bowling Green is clearly > than Mizzu

msha is offline Registered User

That's why Suh went 2nd, McCoy 3rd, Thomas 14th, Weatherspoon 19th, Kindle 43rd, and Houston 44th in the 2010 draft. That's 6 of the first 44 coming on defense in the Big 12. Not to mention Prince Amukamara, Aaron Williams, Von Miller, Jared Crick, Curtis Brown, Jeremy Beal, Aldon Smith, Blake Gideon, Sam Acho, Adrian Taylor, Travis Lewis, Brian Duncan, and Keenan Robinson should all be future 2nd round picks. But I'm sure you just forgot to mention that.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I guess we should have run a CAT scan on him as well.
    Bhahahahhahhaa, that made me laugh out loud ...

Nick is very much right here. It's very difficult for some star college receivers to translate at the NFL level.

Playing wideout can be a very cerebral thing ...

RealRam is offline Registered User

Interesting to see our new D.A. wearing Rams gear (Rams official site)

Alexander Getting Acclimated

Monday, August 23, 2010

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

It was only about seven months ago that Danario Alexander was coming off one of the most prolific seasons a wide receiver has had at the college level.

Alexander was riding the momentum of an All American senior season and arrived at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. with a chance to solidify his spot in the top portion of April’s NFL Draft.

Instead, Alexander suffered another devastating knee injury in Mobile that would keep him out of the rest of the pre-draft workouts and ultimately drop him out of the draft completely.

On Monday at the Russell Training Center, Alexander finally got back on the field as a member of the Rams.

“To come out here, I have been out of football since the Senior Bowl so it’s always good to get back on the football field,” Alexander said.

Perhaps nobody was happier to be on the practice field than Alexander, who certainly has taken a circuitous path to his first NFL job.

After a flirtation that started at the beginning of the month with a visit to St. Louis, Alexander finally signed with the Rams on Sunday night after they determined he was fit and ready to begin practicing after rehabilitating his surgically repaired left knee.

While the Rams were initially impressed with Alexander and have been high on his character and ability since before the draft, they believed he wasn’t ready to practice upon that first visit and needed a little more time to go from being cleared to being football ready.

“They wanted me to go back and get some more rehab to be a little more game ready, practice ready,” Alexander said. “So that’s what I did and they made the call.”

Of course, Alexander’s fight to get his first crack at the NFL goes beyond just the trials and tribulations of the past half year.

Heading into the 2007 season, Alexander had been slated to start at one of Missouri’s wideout spots. He had won a heated competition for a starting spot over an electrifying freshman named Jeremy Maclin.

Alexander started the opener against Illinois and promptly suffered the first of a series of injuries that seemed destined to derail his career. Even when he would battle back from surgery and rehab, he would end up injured and right back where he started.

Over the course of the next three years, Alexander would have a trio of surgeries on the knee. Anytime he took a step forward, it seemed he’d take two back.

Finally as a senior, Alexander enjoyed the breakout season that had long been predicted for him. He led the nation in receiving yards with 1,781 and scored 14 touchdowns on 113 receptions.

Those numbers combined with his 6’5, 221 pound frame put Alexander on the radar and wrangled him the invitation to the Senior Bowl.

But before the week in Mobile was over, Alexander’s progress stalled again as a knee injury led to his fourth knee surgery.

“It was frustrating at the beginning and watching the draft and seeing all of my friends get drafted and stuff like that but I had to get my mindset,” Alexander said. “I had to get down to Houston and rehab every day to get to this point I am at right now.”

Alexander started his rehabilitation in Columbia before heading back home to Houston to rehab. It’s there that he spent the better part of the past six months trying to get back to a point where he could be cleared and ready to play again.

During that process, the Rams kept tabs on Alexander with the intent to give him a long look when he was finally able to workout and step back on the field.

“We talked about him before,” Spagnuolo said. “It was just a matter of him getting healthy and the right fit and we just decided to do it to see what we can find out about him in the next couple of weeks and then make a decision from there.”

Finally, on Sunday, that decision was made and Alexander signed with the Rams.

With all of that rehab and work finished, the hard part is only just beginning for Alexander. Not only did Alexander miss out on the OTA’s and minicamp, he’s also behind by nearly a month of training camp.

Simultaneously, it will be Alexander’s job to get up to speed both physically and mentally. Coming from the spread offense at Mizzou, the adjustment to the Rams offense will take some time.

Alexander began studying right away on his arrival in St. Louis but even in Monday’s practice, he was regularly turning to receivers coach Nolan Cromwell for guidance.

“I will be here early and late trying to get everything together,” Alexander said. “I will be in my playbook as soon as I get back home. I am playing the catch up game right now. I am going to try my best. I will be in my playbook every night and try to be the best that I can be.”

If nothing else, Alexander’s confidence can be buoyed by the fact that he has pretty much the entire state of Missouri rooting for him to catch on so close to his alma mater.

When news broke of Alexander’s signing on social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook, he was inundated with congratulatory messages.

On the Rams’ Twitter feed, the news of Alexander’s signing was re-tweeted or commented on by more than 250 fans.

Needless to say, all that Alexander gave to the state university has earned him plenty of support in these parts.

“I feel very comfortable,” Alexander said, smiling. “The fans, the state they all embraced me. They were all happy I signed with the Rams and I am pretty excited about it.”

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Bottom line is there is very little risk here with this guy, so why not?

But what concerns me are the words "potential", and "development" when describing a player. The Rams are not exactly known for developing talent, especially at the WR position. I think this guy will be a total non-factor this year and probably next. Sure, he's got speed and he's got size (height). ...but from everything I read from those that have watched him (I do not watch Missouri football) he's just a tall, fast guy with bad knees.

His route running is not very good (don't we have enough of those WR's?) and his durability is questionable. Again, don't we have enough of those guys?

But, what's it going to cost the Rams? ...and what's the risk? If he doesn't work out, no big deal, if he does, the Rams will have gotten a bargain.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Wow, that's a shame about Brooks Foster. I would've, at the least, liked to see him play in the pre-season. Did anyone else get to see him? Or maybe I'm answering my own question here. Hopefully.

Danario Alexander will either be a huge success or a disappointing injury-prone WR whose potential was never fully realized. Let's hope for option A.
    I am from N.C. and I am a Carolina guy, so I was really pulling for Brooks to make the team, however.....

He has played this preseason, and has struggled a great deal, that coupled w/ the fact that he was hurt all last year made him the odd man out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234