throwback week

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rams signed WR Steve Smith to a one-year contract.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams signed WR Steve Smith to a one-year contract.

I like it. He might be the same type of WR we have, but if healthy he's definitely more proven.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I'm happy with this move. Here's hoping he works out better than Mike Sims Walker.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The 2009-2010 version could would lead this team. But so far there's nothing in Steve Smith's post-injury history that shows he can get back to that. Here's to Smith being the 2012 NFL Comeback Player of the Year.
    live4ramin likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I've been thinking about Steve Smith as an option for the Rams for two offseasons now. When the guy is healthy, he's proven he can play. A one-year contract is minimal risk with the potential for big reward. I don't see the harm here at all.
    Rambos, Varg6, THOLTFAN81 and 1 others like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

Guaranteed money is so important in NFL contracts because careers can turn on a dime.

Let's take former Giants and Eagles receiver Steve Smith as an example. In 2009, he finished second in the league in receptions. He was on his way to another big season in 2010 when he suffered a devastating knee injury.

Less than two years later, Smith was forced to accept his second straight one-year deal in an effort to keep his career afloat. Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports the Rams picked up Smith on Monday.

It's a worthwhile gamble. Smith didn't look like himself in Philadelphia last year following microfracture surgery, but he should be more effective in 2012. His presence makes us wonder if those Danny Amendola trade rumors are true; Smith and Amendola have similar skill sets.

When he's right, Smith is one of the best route runners in football. The Rams figure to add weapons for Sam Bradford in the draft, but this is their first major skill position acquisition of the offseason. It could prove to be a bargain pickup.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

I think i missed the amendola trade rumor. What is the rumor?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Smith is definitely an UPGRADE if he manages to get his legs under him. I expect Smith's knee to be stronger this year, so I like his chances of improving over last year.
    Id like to know, if anyone saw him play in Philly last year, and how bad his knee was affecting him in games.?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    I think i missed the amendola trade rumor. What is the rumor?
    The Patriots have been rumored to sign Danny and that would cost them a second round pick if the Rams don't match it...

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've been thinking about Steve Smith as an option for the Rams for two offseasons now. When the guy is healthy, he's proven he can play. A one-year contract is minimal risk with the potential for big reward. I don't see the harm here at all.

From The Redzone:
    Rams bet on WR Steve Smith regaining 2009 form
    3/26/2012

Updating our previous post concerning the Rams signing free agent wide receiver Steve Smith, the Rams are taking a low-risk bet that Smith can return to Pro Bowl form according to Mike Sando of espn.com.

In 2009 Steve Smith caught 107 passes for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns for the New York Giants and was named to the Pro Bowl. In the two seasons since then, the 26-year-old receiver has only 59 catches for 653 yards and four touchdowns in two subsequent seasons, enduring microfracture knee surgery and ending up on injured reserve last season with the Eagles due to what was described as a deep bone bruise on the same knee.

At best, Smith will recapture Pro Bowl form, giving quarterback Sam Bradford a needed weapon with the versatility to line up in multiple spots. Players recovering from knee surgery sometimes fare better in their second year back on the field. Microfracture surgery is generally a last resort, however.

Smith seems worth the risk. He is still young and was a big play threat before the knee problems. "He is an excellent route runner who can get in and out of his breaks with no wasted motion," according to Scouts.Inc.

Well Nick, looks like the Rams' brain trust think along the same lines you do on this one ..
    Nick likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

"If healthy" is never a good discussion starter for me, and I'm warry of guys who have an injury history, especially with our track record the last several years with receivers. That said, I've always liked Smith and think this is a reasonable risk. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    A one-year contract is minimal risk with the potential for big reward. I don't see the harm here at all.
    Yes it's not anything else out there, why not if it works out we catch lighting in a bottle, nothing venture nothing gain.
    Nick likes this.
    :ramlogo:

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

we give one year contracts to camp bodies,if his knee is still bad it will show up in camp then,then he can be cut with little lost . low risk,possibly high reward.

l`ll leave the Mulligan pick to the hired football professionals..Run blocking TE`s aint exactly my speciality.
    Nick likes this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

In the spirit of "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" it's good enough for me at this point.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I think the front office is just giving us something to talk about. They know the first thing we do when we get home, is fire up the PC to see what new stud has been added to the roster. It's been slow motion for the most part, and that trend continues as neither signing is what I would classify as a signing worthy of getting excited about, but I guess they don't hurt.

And I was just sitting here wondering, how in the world are we going to replace Billy Badjema.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Don't really expect much out of him, just a filler when Amendola is down. That must mean Salas is going to play the outside role. I wouldn't mind taking a look at Braylon also but we have to see if he passes a physical on his knee first.
    Your kidding right ?? Smith is a proven solid number 2 receiver man... Get over your analysis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast