throwback week

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Rams signed WR Steve Smith to a one-year contract.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams signed WR Steve Smith to a one-year contract.

More from Jim Thomas...

Rams signed WR Steve Smith to a one-year contract.
    Mar 26 - 2:38 PM Source: Jim Thomas on Twitter

Smith, who turns 27 in May, spent the 2011 season as the Eagles' No. 5 receiver behind DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Jason Avant, and Riley Cooper. One of the NFL's top slot receivers in 2009, when Smith set a Giants franchise record with 107 catches, the former second-round pick's NFL career has stalled due to 2010 microfracture surgery. When healthy, Smith is a possession receiver and won't remedy St. Louis' needs at both outside receiver spots. He's just a flier signing for training camp at this point.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-27-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Ram

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Don't really expect much out of him, just a filler when Amendola is down. That must mean Salas is going to play the outside role. I wouldn't mind taking a look at Braylon also but we have to see if he passes a physical on his knee first.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Your kidding right ?? Smith is a proven solid number 2 receiver man... Get over your analysis
    I think what we'll see from Smith lies somewhere in between these polarities. I don't expect him to come right out and be a go-to possession receiver, but I do expect him to be more than just a filler.

I think he's a solid role player with upside. On a one-year contract, you can't ask for much more.
    Nick and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Not a fan of this signing, with micro fracture knee surgery his ability to plant & cut will never be the same. If he can become average again this will be huge for him, (we have plenty of average receivers) pro bowl again I just don't see that happening. Maybe I'm a naysayer but for an athlete that is dependent on speed & agility this surgery, or should I say injury, all but does him in. I feel like he will be just another body that will wind up on the IR. And I for one have seen enough of our WR & corners on the IR.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

After a couple of higher profile, decent signings (Wells, Finnegan), we've underwhelmed with Ojinnaka and now Smith. Maybe there is little risk involved, and that's great. But there is also little reason to think these guys are going to be difference makers. One guy was already here for a month and was released, while the other is coming off surgery. It's unrealistic to think Smith will return to his 2009 production. Three years removed in the NFL is an eternity.

Maybe they'll wind up being OK, but these moves don't inspire. And I'll tell you this: I'm not at all happy there's this talk that Amendola- a decent player with a lot of heart who went beyond the call of duty 2 yrs. ago- is rumored to maybe go. I could care less about adding another draft pick down the road so that we have a chance to be good in 2016- I want to win NOW. We had better pick the best available receiver in the draft or it's gonna' be another dismal year for the offense.
    RealRam likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

The last time we took a risk on an injury-prone receiver, it seemed to work out. I trust that our organization took the time to see if he would be worth the risk. Relax folks, it's a one year prove-it contract.

Haste is offline Registered User

I wish we could trade for the good Steve Smith (Carolina)

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It's unrealistic to think Smith will return to his 2009 production. Three years removed in the NFL is an eternity.

Maybe they'll wind up being OK, but these moves don't inspire. And I'll tell you this: I'm not at all happy there's this talk that Amendola- a decent player with a lot of heart who went beyond the call of duty 2 yrs. ago- is rumored to maybe go. I could care less about adding another draft pick down the road so that we have a chance to be good in 2016- I want to win NOW. We had better pick the best available receiver in the draft or it's gonna' be another dismal year for the offense.
    Right on amigo. And I do NOT want to see Danny leave, I hope it's only a rumor!

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'd take Amendola every day over Smith if I had to choose between the two. However I think the Rams probably plan to have both unless a team swoops in with an offer-sheet for Amendola. Smith's health is still definitely in question, and I think it would be a mistake to let go of Amendola without knowing what Smith can really do anymore. Once them knees start going, your career generally takes a pretty steep nose dive.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Here's Steve Smith's 2009 highlights

While his talents are mainly shown at the slot position, he does play outside in certain packages. One thing that impresses me about him is that he's capable of flanking outside and making big plays while some of the outside receivers run short routes. Victor Cruz has shown to be the better and healthier playmaker than him, but Smith is more flexible at the position. I don't expect him to return to form but we should be able to see some flashes of his 2009 form.

nuclearman is offline Registered User

If he gets back to his best he is a great signing -- if being the operative word.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Your kidding right ?? Smith is a proven solid number 2 receiver man... Get over your analysis
    Proven?? One decent year (out of 5) is more like a FLUKE...as opposed to being PROVEN. Repeat after me: Drew Bennett.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    Repeat after me: Drew Bennett.
    Is he available?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Let's put it this way: When was the last time the Rams plucked a guy off some other team's scrap heap and he wound up being productive for us for any length of time?

Fan skepticism is there for a reason.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Let's put it this way: When was the last time the Rams plucked a guy off some other team's scrap heap and he wound up being productive for us for any length of time?

Fan skepticism is there for a reason.
    That's not a common thing throughout the NFL, let alone just the Rams...

I'm surprised at how some fans are reacting to the signings we make. We can only sign guys that are available, and it's rare that a top quality player finds himself readily available. Even then, when a top player does find himself available, there are other teams that may want to sign him.

The Rams can't sign everyone. And everyone they do sign can't be a world beater.
    HUbison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    That's not a common thing throughout the NFL, let alone just the Rams...

I'm surprised at how some fans are reacting to the signings we make. We can only sign guys that are available, and it's rare that a top quality player finds himself readily available. Even then, when a top player does find himself available, there are other teams that may want to sign him.

The Rams can't sign everyone. And everyone they do sign can't be a world beater.
    Very true, but when a guy had more penqalties than receptions last year, it's hard to find a silver lining. Forgive me for not jumping up and down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast