throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams smart to pass on deals for Moss, Lynch ..

Bernie Miklasz Thursday, October 7, 2010 12:15 am

I've wasted a lot of newsprint in expressing the opinion that the Rams need a No. 1 wide receiver to expedite the development of rookie quarterback Sam Bradford. It's an important piece of the Rams' reconstruction project in Earth City.

But when the Rams passed on free agent Terrell Owens, I was fine with that. The chronically insecure Owens is never happy for long, so what's the point of having him ruin your young QB? I yawned when Detroit signed Nate Burleson. When the Rams couldn't make a deal for San Diego holdout Vincent Jackson, I couldn't get upset because the Chargers held on to him.

I thought Santonio Holmes was worth a gamble though he faced a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy. The New York Jets minimized the risk by acquiring the party guy from Pittsburgh for a fifth-round draft pick. But if Holmes has another misstep, he could be suspended for an entire season. I could understand the Rams' wariness.

Wednesday, another big-name receiver traded places when New England sent future Hall of Famer Randy Moss to Minnesota for a third-round selection in the 2011 draft.

Not that the Rams could have had Moss; for all we know this was a Patriots-Vikings rendezvous. The Vikings' desperation is obvious. They have an old quarterback, Brett Favre, and an injured No. 1 receiver, Sidney Rice. The Vikings have an itchy owner who is eager to gain public and political support for a new stadium. The Vikings are running out of time. In that context, Moss fits into the Twin Cities.

But for the Rams, not so much. Moss, 33, is due to become a free agent after the season. He wants to get paid. And he is growling about getting paid, which led head coach Bill Belichick to remove Moss from the team. The pouting was getting worse and Moss had caught only nine passes in four games. According to media reports, Moss argued with quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien at halftime of the team's impressive win at Miami on Monday night.

That was it for Belichick.

Smart move by Coach Hoodie. Belichick knows that the 2011 NFL draft is loaded with talent; that's why he's stockpiling picks. The Patriots now have two selections in each of the first four rounds in 2011. Belichick's long-term vision allows him to see beyond 2010.

And that's the best approach for the Rams. Belichick's desire to win is certifiably cuckoo. The Patriots got caught secretly videotaping — and stealing — opponents' hand signals. Belichick was willing to cheat to win but is unwilling to keep Moss.

What does that tell you?

So why would the Rams bring in the same problem player?

The Rams have excellent team chemistry with an appealing mix of veterans and kids who pull together. The Rams have roster holes, and they are gradually filling them in. Moss is a nice addition, a decent risk, if you believe your team is a player away from legitimate Super Bowl contention. The Rams don't qualify. Moss doesn't make them a Super Bowl threat.

Belichick offers an instructive lesson here. He's never had a better receiver than Moss, but never won a Super Bowl with Moss. Belichick did, however, win three Super Bowls with a collection of nondescript wide receivers that included Troy Brown, David Patten, Deion Branch, David Givens and Bethel Johnson.

Do you see a No. 1 in there? In their three Super Bowl triumphs the Patriots beat teams that deployed famous wideouts Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Steve Smith and Terrell Owens.

This season Belichick has changed his offense to return to a more methodical style. The Patriots drafted two talented young tight ends in April, Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. Accordingly, New England has used two tight ends on 65 percent of the plays this season.

If that philosophy is good enough for Belichick, then it should be fine for the Rams, at least for a while. The Rams have an interesting assortment of receivers. The group, as a whole, is better than I believed.

There isn't a true star among them. But a few days before the start of the regular season, general manager Billy Devaney made a terrific trade for wideout Mark Clayton, an intelligent veteran with first-rate character. Clayton has helped on the field and in the locker room. And the Rams gave up virtually nothing for Clayton.

Bradford has completed passes to 12 different receivers this season, and that diversity has been a quiet strength of this offense. The Rams don't have that game-breaker, but they spread the ball around and make the defense prepare for a bunch of targets. This will suffice until the next phase of rebuilding gets under way with the addition of that genuine No. 1 receiver — possibly in the 2011 draft.

If you think Devaney is an idiot, then you must also believe the same to be true of Belichick, because both men seem to have the same general idea about wide receivers.

The Patriots' wideouts are Wes Welker, Brandon Tate, Julian Edelman, Taylor Price and Matthew Slater. The Rams' wideouts are Clayton, Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson, Laurent Robinson and Mardy Gilyard, with Donnie Avery on injured reserve.

The Rams, like the Patriots, are putting more emphasis on tight ends. The Rams' desire to feature tight ends in the passing game was impacted by injuries, especially to rookie Michael Hoomanawanui.

In a related note, I'll offer another opinion on another "name" player who was placed in a new home Tuesday: The Rams didn't need running back Marshawn Lynch, either.

Lynch is a character risk with more baggage than Moss. Buffalo moved Lynch to Seattle for a fourth-round draft pick. Seattle has now traded its No. 3 and No. 4 picks from that deep 2011 draft.

Had the Rams been frantic to land a starting running back, Lynch would have made some sense. But the Rams have a starter, and a star, in Steven Jackson. What sane person believes Lynch would be happy as a backup to Jackson? This combustible mix of egos would have blown the locker room apart.

This isn't Fantasy League Football. In real football, personality and character matter. A willingness to accept a role is important. Devaney still must come up with that No. 1 receiver and No. 2 running back. But it's more important to find the right fit, rather than be seduced by big names in an effort to appease Fantasy League fans.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Rams smart to pass on deals for Moss, Lynch ..

I'm fine with our current wide receiver group, our group is awesome so far.. If we bring in anymore receivers it might mess with the chemistry!!

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I think Belichick is an Idiot. But as a long term planer for the Patsies who is willing to make the hard short term decisions to ensure his team long team he is probably one of the best.

I totally agree that Rams have played it smart by not trying to bring in a veteran nr 1 WR with lots of skeletons in the baggage.

We are doing ok with our current receivers and I think it is smarter to bring one in via the draft.

rxb97 Guest

Personally Id say bring in a 3rd year guy ready to break out instead of just draft, sure you draft one but a 3rd year guy is more valuable Sid Rice who is not getting paid in Minnesota would be great dont think you can get him but thats the type Im speaking of someone thats been in the league and you dont have rookie and sophmore growing pains but is ready to break on to the scene

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

I know we wouldn't have went after Clayton had Avery stayed healthy, but I like what we have once he gets back. To say we are just a wide receiver away from being a serious threat on offense could be a possibility. Where I am most excited about, not to turn away from this thread but related, is our defense. With such small needs on offense, now Spagsmire can focus on building one of the greatest defenses ever.

I give it a year or two we can be looking at something greater than "Greatest Show on Turf!" –dare I?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

stl7 Guest

i wouldve passed on Moss for bradfords sake, but i dont recall lynch being a problem player. At the very least he has shown his ability and has a high upside. Hes decently fast and would compliment jackson much better than anything we have in our backfield

3STL9 Guest

I was fine with passing on Moss, Lynch, or T.O. However I think we could have still made a play at Jackson or Holmes

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Next years draft will be interesting. We can draft a big name WR but where will he fit in next year? 1 2 and 3 shape up to look like Clayton, Avery and Amendola. Who would you sit? Would we be better off grabbing another position with our first round pick?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    Would we be better off grabbing another position with our first round pick?
    Denario Alexander may figure into the Rams' decision as to when to draft another wr - that is - if another team doesn't snatch him off our practice squad first. Right now it appears he's safe, as he'll need another month or so to build up the strength in his leg, but as he reaches full strength, the Rams will likely need to activate him to the active roster if he is to remain a Ram ..

RebelYell is offline Registered User

For a 4th rounder and a 5th or 6th, I'd have traded for Lynch if you could agree to a long term contract. If the Rams draft a RB in next years draft with the 4th round pick, what are the odds he's as good as Lynch? He's ONLY 24 years old.