Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Rams smashed by Cardinals 30-13; The Good, the Bad and the (plenty of) Ugly

Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Interesting perspective guys. When i watched it, it looked like Simms went out of his way to go after Palmer, who didnt look to me like he was trying to make a tackle, but maybe i didnt see it correctly. If Palmer is in the play trying to make the tackle, you guys are of course correct and Simms has to be able to hit him. ramming speed to all general counsel
    That's why this was an awful call. It's all based on judgement: YES HE TARGETED CARSON! Did he? We don't know that. Therefore, when the defense, essentially, becomes the offense and vice versa, every player should be able to get blocked. It wasn't like it was a cheap shot or something. Not to mention them blowing the whistle. That's a TD folks. From what I saw, it was absolutely a block for Jenkins, not head hunting their QB.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: Rams smashed by Cardinals 30-13; The Good, the Bad and the (plenty of) Ugly

My interpretation of the personal foul was that it was called because the whistle had been blown. But, as someone mentioned to me elsewhere, the entire play was reviewable (as a score play) and the refs should've let it play out. If they do that, its a TD and there is no foul because you knock people over even if they're just standing there.
    live4ramin likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Another dreadful performance. Looking forward to another off-season.

MACD is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    Hey guys who watched the game got a question for ya'all... Did Barret Jones play at all and how did he look? If he did play what quarters was he in if you remember? Sounds like if he was in the second half he might not play much any more as our blocking must have been very poor in that half!
    I believe Barret started at C. Also, Dahl was back in at right guard and Saffold moved back to RT. Did that line shake-up affect the run game? Well, IT CERTAINLY DIDN'T HELP.

Regarding the block on Palmer, why are refs so quick on the whistle on td's that obviously didn't occur? OR, why can't the players NOT hear the whistle? Carson Palmer obviously didn't hear the whistle because he was obviously trying to hinder Jenkin's progress.
    Last edited by MACD; -12-09-2013 at 11:23 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Barrett Jones did not play. Tim Barnes started at center and played the entire way. We should all keep in mind that Arizona's defense has been very very tough to run on by everyone all year, and once the rams get behind and the defense can pin back its ears, its really tough on any offensive line. Arizona's defense is better than SF's because their secondary is better.

For the record, i didnt say we would have won with Sammy. What i said was that without Sammy, we are nowhere without a running game and our ability to come from behind is very limited. I stand by those statements.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Randart likes this.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    My interpretation of the personal foul was that it was called because the whistle had been blown. But, as someone mentioned to me elsewhere, the entire play was reviewable (as a score play) and the refs should've let it play out. If they do that, its a TD and there is no foul because you knock people over even if they're just standing there.
    Your interpretation is right. Here's why.

This is the way it was explained by that guy who comes on and explains controversial or confusing official rulings for the networks (I can't remember his name.)

The play was called dead because the referees ruled the Cardinal receiver had crossed the plan of the goal line resulting in a Cardinal TD before fumbling the ball. Of course every TD play is now reviewed and that is where the confusion and controversy starts. Because the NFL has special rules for protecting the QB, the penalty on Sims was called because the whistles had long since blown the play dead before Jenkins took off with the ball. By NFL rule, you stop playing when the whistles blow, period. If the play had not been blown dead, the QB would have been fair game and the penalty on Sims would not have been called. The play being blown dead goes to the second part of the ruling on the play. When the review determined that there was a fumble -- in this case the receiver lost the ball before crossing the goal line -- the recovering team gets the ball at the spot of recovery, the ball can not be advanced because the play was blown dead.

No doubt about it, it was unfortunate for the Rams that the officials didn't make the right call in the first place by swallowing their whistles and letting the play continue, it would have clearly resulted in Jenkins scoring a 101 yard TD return.
    bradwill and Randart like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

For the record, i didnt say we would have won with Sammy. What i said was that without Sammy, we are nowhere without a running game and our ability to come from behind is very limited. I stand by those statements.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC, I feel the same way. If we get behind, even a little bit and our running game is kaput, I have zero faith in our ability to come back. When we were down 14-3 at halftime, the writing was on the wall for me.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    Your interpretation is right. Here's why.

This is the way it was explained by that guy who comes on and explains controversial or confusing official rulings for the networks (I can't remember his name.)
    Mike Peralta. And he got it exactly right twice that game with strange calls. A nice presence considering how awful Dick Stockton and Barber were all game.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

I felt that Jenkins and Johnson did a good job on the outside receivers. I mean, Larry Fitzgerald is going to catch passes, he is a Hall of Fame quality WR, and he was contained on the most part on the outside. Floyd didn't do much either. I felt the pass interferances against Jenkins were bad calls, as it's the same kind of contact a WR gives a DB. It was nice to see the outside corners playing close up to the line of scrimmage compared to what we have seen in the past.

Where we got killed, and where we have been all year, is in the slot. Finnegan has been poor all year and is now on IR. Brandon McGee played poorly in his first NFL experience (as expected) and was inactive Sunday. We had Rodney McLeod and Quinten Pointer lining up in the slot on Larry Fitzgerald. So to be honest, no surprise that we got burnt there. I wouldn't be surprised if we went for a slot corner in the draft. I was actually disappointed we didn't attempt to get the Honey Badger in the draft, as I thought he would have learnt from Finnegan well.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I felt that Jenkins and Johnson did a good job on the outside receivers. I mean, Larry Fitzgerald is going to catch passes, he is a Hall of Fame quality WR, and he was contained on the most part on the outside. Floyd didn't do much either. I felt the pass interferances against Jenkins were bad calls, as it's the same kind of contact a WR gives a DB. It was nice to see the outside corners playing close up to the line of scrimmage compared to what we have seen in the past.

Where we got killed, and where we have been all year, is in the slot. Finnegan has been poor all year and is now on IR. Brandon McGee played poorly in his first NFL experience (as expected) and was inactive Sunday. We had Rodney McLeod and Quinten Pointer lining up in the slot on Larry Fitzgerald. So to be honest, no surprise that we got burnt there. I wouldn't be surprised if we went for a slot corner in the draft. I was actually disappointed we didn't attempt to get the Honey Badger in the draft, as I thought he would have learnt from Finnegan well.
    Good points, also on Tyron I was pulling for us to draft him as well. As it turned out though I think he is very happy with his old buddy Pat Peterson there in AZ. Hope for his sake he can rehab back the guy has talents for sure. As for Fitz he is a beast and gets away with alot of physical stuff against Jenks and the lads for sure. Seems the refs love them some Fitz for sure! LOL

Our young corners are really getting some good school work done going against LF, hopefully they learn some good lessons. One is don't retaliate and stick with your coverage, also don't be afraid to call or point out his push offs to the refs before they happen. Then we just might get some calls our way...

And GC thanks for the info on Barret mucho appreciatvos!
    Last edited by Randart; -12-10-2013 at 05:34 AM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Hmm, no, I did not know that.

Just kidding, trying to find something for a smile after a game like today's.

hahah.....I feel like tweeting him everday this offseason to get buff so next year he come in a help us game #1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12