Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams’ Spagnuolo has confidence in QB Bulger

Frank Tadych
    NFL.com Blog

St. Louis’ Steve Spagnuolo didn’t offer much news on the Rams’ roster or free agency plans Friday as one of the six first-year coaches addressing the media.

He did offer a vote of confidence for quarterback Marc Bulger.

“I’ve always had a great deal of respect for Marc,” Spagnuolo said. “I think he’s a terrific guy, great character, and I think it begins there, especially at that position. I just know this, every time we’ve ever played the Rams, and he’s been quarterback, we’ve always worried about him as the quarterback. To me, that’s telltale. I think he’s still a very talented guy, and expect him to even get better with the coaches around him now. I think he’s eager to go. We’re looking forward to positive things.”

Spagnuolo said on two occasions that he’ll withhold judgment on his new roster until he gets the opportunity to see them on the field. He said that individual positions — including quarterback — didn’t factor highly in his decision to take the Rams job. When asked specifically about Bulger, he touched on the difficulty in inheriting a roster.

“It’s all the positions,” Spagnuolo said. “We have a team there of players that we’re evaluating, and each position will be evaluated along the way. We don’t look at it that way. Everyone is starting with a new beginning. As we get a chance to get a feel for these guys, and get them on the field, then we’ll make that decision.”

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams’ Spagnuolo has confidence in QB Bulger

I knew it! I knew when Spags finally spoke about the QB situation he inherited that he would single out Bulger. I knew he would say that Bulger was all washed up, has taken to many hits to ever be a winner again. I knew he would say that Bulger is not a playoff caliber QB in the NFL.

At least that's the way I interpreted what Spags said after reading between the lines.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Frank Tadych
    NFL.com Blog

I think he’s still a very talented guy, and expect him to even get better with the coaches around him now. I think he’s eager to go. We’re looking forward to positive things.”

.”
    Hum my interpretation is he has been great, he has suck lately but we believe we can get him back on track.
    :ramlogo:

maineram is offline Registered User

Some folks here want a new QB for next year. Looking back over the last two years, Marc hasn't performed that well........ who has ??

I would love to hear the plan to bring in a starting QB, after trading or releasing Marc, and how that would fit into the many needs the team has already ?
    As one said, "the Bulger experiment is over, time to move on" !

I would love to hear the possibilities !!!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

When asked specifically about Bulger, he touched on the difficulty in inheriting a roster.

“It’s all the positions,” Spagnuolo said. “We have a team there of players that we’re evaluating, and each position will be evaluated along the way. We don’t look at it that way. Everyone is starting with a new beginning. As we get a chance to get a feel for these guys, and get them on the field, then we’ll make that decision.”
    I don't think everyone is going to start with a new beginning nor do I think that all the players currently on the roster will make it to the field with a new beginning to be further evaluated. Chavous has already been cut and I have a strong feeling others will be cut before they make it to the field under the new staff.

I understand what he's saying, but I don't think he's being entirely honest.

You've now been hired as the head coach, Steve. It's time to change the culture and a little tough honesty along the way might be in order.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Spags having confidence in Marc says nothing, Linny had confidence in Bulger and then lost the confidence in him. Hass had the confidence in Marc.
    I agree with FERTER, "Little tough honesty" is in order here.
    At this point Bulger is the Quarterback for the Rams, what he needs is a strong #2 backup to give him a challeenge and keep him on his toes.
    It would be so wonderful to see Marc Bulger finally put it all together and return to an All-star caliber status. Spags would be so proud!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]