Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater

Thread: Rams Spotlight: WR Brandon Gibson

richtree is offline Registered User

Rams Spotlight: WR Brandon Gibson

With the camp fight heating up, as well as the debate here, there has been one consistent truth throughout the pre-season (as well as looking back to the end of 2010).

His name is Brandon Gibson. With the addition of J. McDaniels to the Rams OC position, many people are looking for the next Brandon Lloyd.

Gibson will be our #1 WR. Lets examine his progress.

1. Has been consistent -- had over 50 catches and 600 yds last season
    2. Great job blocking in the run game
    3. No bad drops - good hands
    4. Stays on the field (this gives him edge over MSW)
    5. Toughness (If you put all the WRs in a room and brawled -- Gibson would be last man standing IMO)
    6. Knows the offense in both WR split spots
    7. Wins the route on the Line of Scrimmage
    8. Shows up on every play
    9. Desire via twitter
    Brandon Lewis Gibson

"Wanting something is not enough. You must hunger for it. Your motivation must be absolutely compelling in order to overcome any obstacle."
    10. McDaniels is using him the same way he is using B.Lloyd (Lloyd had 1400 & 11)

Danny will have the most catches and Kendricks may get alot of 6 yard TDs but

Brandon Gibson will have 1000 yds and 7/8 TDs.

We should be happy to have this guy here and watch him blossom this year. Don't fall in love with the 'name guy' Mike Sims-Walker due to fantasy football.

We are trying to win games and I am goin to war with Brandon Gibson!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Spotlight: WR Brandon Gibson

We are trying to win games and I am goin to war with Alshon Jeffery!

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    We are trying to win games and I am goin to war with Alshon Jeffery!
    Hahha !!! Jeff Fuller may be the stud this year......but we don't have to worry about this for awhile..

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Hahha !!! Jeff Fuller may be the stud this year......but we don't have to worry about this for awhile..
    You're right. Lets hope we get lots of production from the guys we got. But damn is Jeffery a specimen or what? 6'4 233 lbs. A.J Green but stronger and not lanky.

Out of the guys we have I think Gibson will be the most productive too. Im not sure whether thats a good thing though. He is an over achiever. Like most of the guys we have (Amendola). Gibson in my opinion would make a solid #2 but #1 is a lot of pressure. He looks a lot better this year. Last year I remember on 2 occasions he had the first down but tried to dance and went backwards and lost us those 1st downs, which eventually lost us the game. Last week against KC he caught a 3rd and 19 about 2 yards shy and made a guy miss and got up field.

A small change but it shows how much he has improved. Lets hope for the best.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Wow, from ready to be cut, to the teams number one receiver in about a month.

Now that's saying something. I don't know what, but that's saying something.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I think if were all honest here, the majority of us have all been short-sighted at some point or an other.?

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

I know the Rams didn't reveal a lot in preseason least our friends in AZ, CA, and WA take particular notice. But I suppect the Rams have something up their sleave with regards to WRs and RB plays. Or they better have, Gibson on one side of the field, Avery the other, SJackson in the back field perhaps with Williams in tandium, who knows. Question is who will be the Rams sure catch TE?
    I see a lot of potentual with the Rams offense if they can keep Bradford on his feet and keeping him from getting hit too often.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think Gibson will have a good year maybe he breaks out and has a great year... But I think MSW is the guy that is going to be the most productive WR... Both have looked good so far!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Again, since last year I've been supporting BG although I keep saying I'm not sure why.

Maybe this year Gib will show the world he's a warrior -- and give me reasons and stats to prove he's for real!

--

--

BTW, head-butting against a STL RAM ... not a good idea unless you're a STL RAM. That's BG.
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-30-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: RealRam

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Wow, from ready to be cut, to the teams number one receiver in about a month.

Now that's saying something. I don't know what, but that's saying something.
    But really, who was saying he was ready to be cut? Fan speculation decided he was the odd man out because:
    1) Gibson hadn't apparently shown much in his two seasons here despite having ever increasing numbers since he joined the Rams
    2) Danny Amendola was set on this team as Sam's safety net
    3) The team signed the well known MSW, even if it was only to a one year deal
    4) The Rams wouldn't give up on the rookies Pettis and Salas so early on
    5) Donnie Avery and Danario Alexander are faster and so have big play ability
    6) Mardy Gilyard offers more on special teams than Gibson

Because of all of these reasons Gibson apparently was the odd man out and had no place on the team. Problem is, fan speculation and assumption isn't always right.

Gibson has stepped up to the challenge from everyone else and played hard, making big plays in the preseason such as that opening bomb against the Titans and the key third down conversion against the Chiefs.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I have to say, I was one of those that assumed Gibson was likely to be cut once the Rams added WRs in the draft/offseason. He was always solid, physical after the catch, but dropped balls and didn't seem to have any flashy upside. Apparently McDaniels saw something in him, because he's been in the starting offense ever since training camp started.

One thing I seemed to forget was that Gibson is still only 24 years old. Plenty of time to improve, and he's done that. Bradford has spoken highly of his dependability and grasp of the offense - I'll gladly take that over all the other "high upside" yet unproven, injury-prone WRs on the roster.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I've been a documented Gibson supporter since Day 1.

I've never understood the general distate for the guy. He's seemed excited to be here since day 1. Has always been a try hard guy. Always worked hard to get that extra yard. Always worked hard to block in the running game. Never gets jammed or defeated at the line.

I find it interesting that many defend a guy like Austin Pettis by saying that it takes a year or two, maybe even a little more, for receivers to develop in this league. And that is often the case. There are looks of guys, even hall of fame guys, who did little or nothing in the first and/or second year in the league. With that said, you have a guy like Gibson that put up nearly 100 catches his first two years, and he's being written off by some.

Some say that he has hit his ceiling. Some say that he is just a JAG. Well, that is what they said about Brandon Lloyd too. Yes, that Brandon Lloyd, the one that was burning people consistently deep down field last year. Yes, that Brandon Lloyd that is lighter, shorted, and SLOWER than Brandon Gibson.

One of the biggest knocks I've seen on Gibson is that he has inconsistent hands. Is that the case?

He dropped 2 passes his rookie season with us. And sure, he dropped 8 last year - 6 of those in the 1st two games. Nerves maybe, after finally getting into the spotlight.

Gibson can consistently be an 80 catch guy here. Not sure what he is going to do in terms of YPC. But he has all the tools to be a Brandon Lloyd type guy. He is #1 on the depth chart for a reason at this point.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'll fully admit that I was one who assumed he was gone. I chalked up last year's production to the "well SOMEONE'S gotta catch what Sam's slingin out there" category. I had him rated above Gilyard, because I don't rate coverage special teams as a reason to keep an offensive player around, and with the new rules for kickoffs, I think about 30-35% of special teams plays are going to be touchbacks. But with Avery coming back and being the lone speedster, DX having talent and upside, two rooks, Amendola and MSW, there just seemed to be no room for him. Well, DX looks to be exactly what made him undraftable and he just can't be counted on, nor does he look as good as Gibson. The rooks are behind Gibson, but are relatively high picks, so their going to make the team, if only to securely develop them. We'll lose either one before they clear waivers. Guaranteed. So that leaves MSW, Amendola, and Avery, which I think are all safe, though I'm not sure of the cap savings on MSW or Avery. That could lead to a cut we're not expecting.

Now, am I happy that Gibson has stepped up and is getting a rapport with Bradford? Absolutely. The nice thing is, that Sam is like Peyton and seems to be able to connect with anyone realy quickly. I mean in the opener last year, Clayton got 14 targets after having 1 practice and 1 walkthrough with the team. Look at what a healthy receiver did for Sam last year in Amendola. He'll still do that, but if either or both or MSW or Gibson, or Avery can do that this year, we'll be very dangerous. Our run game looks like it can be as well for that matter.

It's Gibson's 3rd year and that's the year receivers breakout. Seeing what he's doing is making me wonder if he'll be the next 3rd year guy to do so. I certainly hope so! I'll be happy to be wrong.
    I believe!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Gibson was named "Ram most likely to make AvengerRam eat crow" by Pro Football Weekly.