Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By Trevor

Thread: Rams squander chances and lose 3-15 to Carolina; Sammy injured

general counsel is offline Registered User

Rams squander chances and lose 3-15 to Carolina; Sammy injured

The Rams blew every opportunity they had to beat Carolina on the road and made about every mistake you can make to cost yourself a chance to win an NFL game. In the process, Sammy injured his knee and left the sideline via the cart, in what may or may not spell the end of the Rams season, depending on its severity. Sammy was seen heading into the locker room on crutches. Horrific red zone play, stupid penalties, turnovers, dropped balls and awful short yardage offense continued to plague the Rams in an undisciplined and sloppy performance in which the Rams showed brief flashes of excellence and extended periods of untimely play.

The Good

Excellent first half run defense (28 yards allowed) and not a terrible overall effort (282 yards allowed).

Great long throws by Sammy to Quick (73 yards) and Austin (63 yard td, which was called back by a tripping penalty on Jake Long.

Solid game for Quinn, a sack and three tackles for losses.
    Eleven tackles for Laurianitis and a sack.
    Nice play by Simms to record a safety.
    Bradford was pretty solid overall in my view (21-30-255 1 td and 1 int). He was sacked and pressured and i repeat my mantra, he can only throw it, he can't catch it also. He made a nice throw for the TD to Zac Stacy, and had another TD throw that Pettis could have caught (although it was a touch catch, it was still catchable). His passer rating was 93.1 and i still thought at the end that we had a chance to pull within one score again before sammy got hurt.

Excellent goal line stand in the second half, led to holding carolina to a field goal which kept the game alive.

A pulse from Austin, who had some nice plays, one diving catch, a couple of decent returns, and a long TD called back.

Zac had a nice 20 yard run, and a few other nice runs, but the overall numbers werent there for the running game, as a team the Rams managed 21 carries for 63 yards.

The Bad

It's going to be tough this week to sort the bad from the ugly, but here is my best shot.

The Rams defense could not hold Carolina in the second half, giving up two long drives as the Rams were trying to get close. A brutal hold on Trumaine (who appeared to injure his arm late in the game) prevented a sack by Tree from getting the Rams a three and out to start the second half. Our pass rush was erratic and i have no idea why we continue to play our corners 10 yards off the line on 3rd and 9 (which allowed a huge conversion in front of Trumaine again). Say what you want about Finnegan, we miss him. After the Trumaine hold, same series, we jump offsides on 3rd and 3 with Newton on the bench for one play and everyone in the stadium knowing that Derek Anderson is going to hand the ball off up the middle.

We forced no turnovers. Hard to win a game with a minus 3 turnover ratio, let alone including the pick 6.

Our lack of discipline in a very chippy game was just bad (and probably should be categorized as ugly). Dahl (twice), Quick and Chris Long all had stupid personal fouls, Long's leading to an ejection for throwing a punch.

4th and 9 at end, Jake Long gets beat for a forced fumble that causes a clemens fumble. The game is 99.9% over at that point anyway, but seeing our allegedly all pro left tackle whiff and get the qb creamed is always going to be a bad thing.

Too many missed tackles. I want to see Janoris make it one week without a whiff.

I hate Steve Smith. He has had a great career and has been something of a Rams killer in limited outings, but his style of play and cheap shotting, a lot of which has been directed at his own teamates over the years simply doesnt lead to me respecting him much. I dont compare him with the great players that have competed so well against the Rams over the years with class and effort, like John Lynch, Adrian Wilson, Boldin, Rhonde Barber, Walter Jones, Lott, Staubach,Tarkenton and Rice to name a few off the top of my head.

Newton was 15-17-204-1td and one of the two incompletes was a drop by Smith. We pressured him from time to time, but not enough and he had several key runs as well. Our coverage down the field simply isnt getting it done, and without a pass rush, we are essentially hopeless on pass defense.

The Ugly

The Bradford injury. Too early to jump to conclusions on severity, but without Sammy we are going absolutely nowhere. In a game filled with cheap shots, Sammy didnt get hurt on a cheap shot. Just a bad step heading out of bounds that injured his knee. Rams nation better be holding its collective breath right now, especially with Seattle coming to town and Tennesse and Indy to follow before the bye week.

The dropped passes are just killing us. Quick had two brutal drops. One for an easy TD to make it a one score game and one for a first down catch on third down on the first drive of the game. Pettis missed a ball that hit him in the end zone and one right before sammy got hurt on a fantastic throw on the run. Neither were easy catches. Both have to get made.

The Sammy int for a pick six to start the game was just ugly. Either his arm was hit or the ball was deflected, hard to tell, but that ball was a duck and i get the INT, but we missed multiple tackles on the run back, including jake long, who tried to kill the guy at the sideline and wound up missing him completely.

Our red zone performance was beyond ugly in the first half. First and goal on the 4 and the 8 and we get a total of 3 points (5 if you count the safety). Why schotty insists on calling runs up the middle every time we get a first and goal is beyond me. We have to be the worst team in the nfl on 3rd and 4th and short and i believe that we remain the only nfl team without a rushing td. The first half was like the inverse of the houston game last week. We outgained them considerably, but the pick six, the austin fumble and the lousy red zone play kept us from leading the game. We are simply nowhere near good enough to not convert in the red zone. No confidence in gaining a foot on 4th and goal says it all.

Austin's fumble was ugly, and in fact, he had two fumbles (one on a punt that went out of bounds). That fumble was terrible timing since we had the ball in their territory after the safety. Again, we are not even close to good enough to overcome the combination of turnovers and poor red zone play. That is exactly how you lose a game. Austin was carrying the ball like a loaf of bread and that is not acceptable.

Summary

Where do we go from here? Well, a lot of that is going to depend on Sammy's knee. If he is out for any extended period of time, or even at all, our chances of a .500 season or better are down the toilet. We are inconsistent in the extreme and we are struggling badly at wide receiver. I hate when the announcers harp so much on us getting the ball down the field because we have gotten the ball down the field but we are being inflicted with ugly drops that make the statistics misleading. If you exclude the 20 yard run by Zac, we had 20 carries for 42 yards and that leads to lousy down and distance, back to where we were three weeks ago. Can we show up and play smashmouth with the best team in the NFL next monday night? In my opinion, not without Sammy. If he is out, i think we have at best a 1 in 10 chance of winning that game. With him, at home, i think we have a legitimate shot, although if the 2013 Rams have shown us anything this years, its that we should expect the unexpected because we have no consistence at all and we are only consistent in our failure at the wide receiver spot to make key catches that could alter the outcome of games. I will keep the faith, but Sammy's injury is a real lowpoint.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam, MoonJoe and mde8352gorams like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Rams squander chances and lose 3-15 to Carolina; Sammy injured

Thanks for the complete report / summary GC.

Unfortunately, too much bad and ugly to write about about our Rams today.

I did not watch the game but, in effect, I see your hurt -- and mine -- while discussing...

a) P E N A L T I E S

b) Sammy injured (bad?)

c) Poor red zone play call!

d) Defense inconsistent. Aaaargh!
    e) Missed opportunities. Et ceteraaaaough.

Not necessarily in that order, I'm just echoing your sentiments. Can't believe we failed to knock / slam the door down SO CLOSE to the Panthers' end zone!!! We just kept knocking on the door, that's all.

I hope Sam will be okay and the Rams passing game grows-up. OL has to play better!

Trevor is offline Registered User

Bradford, had a nice game. Penalties and dropped passes made his stats look decent. They showed in game that the rams were 3rd in most dropped passes, patriots being first. Long did not throw a punch. The post game highlights questioned the call as they replayed it and it showed no punch whatsoever. They also called the Carolina fans disgusting as when long went into the tunnel he had something hit him in his face, looked like a cup.

This game was the most winnable game ever. Just penalties and the turnovers killed it.
    RealRam likes this.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

From what I've read on twitter and what I saw during the play I couldn't be more pessimistic about his injury. It wasn't bad looking, just awkward, which tend to turn out the worst. Kind of like RG3 vs Seattle. If we see him again this season, I'll be super excited.

RealRam is offline Registered User

"He was in significant pain on the sideline." - Coach Fisher on Bradford
    That was the obvious part. We'll see what the medical evaluation is tonight. **SIGH**

Trevor is offline Registered User

Significant pain in most cases means tears. Strains are painful but not, writhing in pain, type painful like Bradford displayed.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Significant pain in most cases means tears. Strains are painful but not, writhing in pain, type painful like Bradford displayed.
    my sentiment exactly. The look on his face was telling. I will keep positive thoughts though. Without Sam, what is this team exactly?

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Without Sam, what is this team exactly?
    A 3-13 team...exactly.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    A 3-13 team...exactly.
    Well, I surely hope not. There is no excuse not to have a quality back up ready to go in the NFL. no excuse.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

There was a post earlier about eating crow with regards to J. Fisher and the Rams--at that time wasn't ready to choke down feathers; it would seem I was vindicated and right to be doubtful after the Rams victor over the Jags.

THE RAMS LOST TO A ONE DIMENTIONAL TEAM!!

There is no way the Rams where prepared to play the Panthers--what successes the Rams had in this game came off from the fact the Panthers are mostly a one trick pony--pathetic!

Its time to kick Jeff Fisher to the curb--period...no horsing around it. So who else can take the reins--L. Smith is still out there. Jeff can take Schotty with him.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

You sound happy that you were "vindicated."
    "I've been saving the Universe for over a thousand years. I figure it owes me just this once."

Spiderwolf is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    There was a post earlier about eating crow with regards to J. Fisher and the Rams--at that time wasn't ready to choke down feathers; it would seem I was vindicated and right to be doubtful after the Rams victor over the Jags.

THE RAMS LOST TO A ONE DIMENTIONAL TEAM!!

There is no way the Rams where prepared to play the Panthers--what successes the Rams had in this game came off from the fact the Panthers are mostly a one trick pony--pathetic!

Its time to kick Jeff Fisher to the curb--period...no horsing around it. So who else can take the reins--L. Smith is still out there. Jeff can take Schotty with him.
    I agree with you. The play calling by Fisher is just terrible. We need an aggressive offensive play caller. Not dink passes and runs up the middle all the time. Im sick of it.

RedAlice is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderwolf View Post
    I agree with you. The play calling by Fisher is just terrible. We need an aggressive offensive play caller. Not dink passes and runs up the middle all the time. Im sick of it.
    Agree. I think it starts w Shotty and Walton though.

How does Walton make us worse this year w the same guys? WHY IS FISHER LETTING THIS HAPPEN?