Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rams' Starters Fall Into 3 Groups

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Rams' Starters Fall Into 3 Groups

Looking at the Rams' starters, I see three distinct groups:

1. Keepers: Players who are locked in at their starting spot for 2013.
    2. Placeholders: Players who are adequate, but should be upgraded if possible.
    3. Need Positions: Players who must be replaced for the Rams to improve (includes players who could be replaced by current backups).

Here's how I break down the starters (NOTE: I have not bothered with the FB spot, as it the Rams don't utilize that position much. Instead, I've gone three deep at WR, including the position of SR - slot receiver).

QB: Sam Bradford
    RB: Steven Jackson*

WR: Brandon Gibson
    WR: Chris Givens
    SR: Danny Amendola*
    TE: Lance Kendricks
    LT: Rodger Saffold
    LG: Robert Turner

C: Scott Wells
    RG: Harvey Dahl**

RT: Barry Richardson

DE: Chris Long
    DT: Michael Brockers
    DT: Kendall Langford
    DE: Robert Quinn

SLB: Rocky McIntosh
    MLB: James Laurinaitis
    WLB: Jo-Lon Dunbar

CB: Janoris Jenkins
    CB: Cortland Finnegan

S: Quintin Mikell
    S: Craig Dahl

*Status dependent on free agency
    **Status dependent on recovery from injury
    MauiRam and laram0 like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Rams' Starters Fall Into 3 Groups

I think we should keep Gibson. He is not starter material but I like him as a 3rd -4th receiver.

The ace in the hole has to be Brian quick . His progress and improvement in learning an NFL offense is the most vital. Part of our team. If Quick improves we do not need to spend money on a WR and can look to spend big money on a LT. If not we are spending all of our money on Dwyane Bowe or Mike Wallace.

fearsome foursome is online now Registered User

Re: Rams' Starters Fall Into 3 Groups

Can't see much to argue with there. With 2 firsts and 2 seconds in next years draft we could be in real good shape next season.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I think we should keep Gibson. He is not starter material but I like him as a 3rd -4th receiver.
    To clarify, his "red" status is with respect to his role as a starter. I have no problem with him as a depth player.

The ace in the hole has to be Brian quick . His progress and improvement in learning an NFL offense is the most vital. Part of our team. If Quick improves we do not need to spend money on a WR and can look to spend big money on a LT. If not we are spending all of our money on Dwyane Bowe or Mike Wallace.
    Quick is definitely the X-factor. I still like the idea of Bowe, though.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Ok, let's just go on down the line...

1. Gibson. Great #4, but the coaches need to find out before free agency whether they think Quick can start next year. Otherwise, I think I'd be looking for an over the hill, but starting quality big receiver. I don't think we need a Bowe/Wallace player, assuming that Quick will become a suitable starter, but we may need a stop gap(Think Moss in Whinerland this year).

2. Amendola. Oh goodness do I love him, but what's the price?

3. Kendricks. Great #2 TE for matchups/blocking. I'd love to pick up someone slightly better route running/catching.

4. Saffold. I still have faith in him in a syatem that predicates the quick pass. Unfortunately, he has also battled injury issues. If he was our swing tackle, I'd love him. For better or worse, I see him starting one more year.

5. Turner. Combo between him and our injured rookie Rok, I'm ok at LG for another season.

6. Richardson. He's been better than expected, truth be told. That said, I think this is a top 3 pick(1st-2nd) in the draft. Our 1st rounders should fall right in the typical value range for "elite" RT's.

7. McIntosh. In another division, I would say meh. Unfortunately, we have a set of teams that run base offenses more than spreads. This means we need 3 good linebackers. Sam's are more plentiful than they used to be. Go grab a new cheap vet.

8. Safety. Mikell was good for a couple years, but would probably work better down in New Orleans. Dahl sucks. I hope that Stewart can claim the SS spot through hard work, but we may be two years out on completely filling this. If there's a good, dynamic safety in the top 50, I think we need to go grab him. Desperate need for an Ed Reed FS back there who won't get beat deep.
    I believe!

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Agree on all .... except Kendricks. Made some great blocks ... dropped some big passes .... only gonna get better ... Keeper ....
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'm all for keeping Amendola but no way should we give him the Franchise Tag, hopefully he gives the Rams some kind of discount for putting up with all his injuries. I also like Kendricks; great blocker who's pretty decent in the passing game. Would like the Rams to draft a faster pass-catching TE, that way we can run more 2-TE formations next year.
    TekeRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I agree with the O line. Wanted to watch and see how they finished the year. I have seen enough they need three upgrades. I hope Les can do what he did for the D line this year and that is get the talent level up.

I'm all in for the O line to be fixed. Draft and or FA just get it fixed.

emuen is offline Registered User

I would argue for LG being a need also. Turner is serviceable, however the depth behind him is really thin. Get a more than adequate LG in the off-season, and you free up a player, who can back-up the whole interior, in the process.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I don't think enough attention has been brought to Kendricks' new role as a primary run blocker. People aren't seeing the receiving stat lines and proclaiming him a bust, but he's been doing quite well in the new role. Definitely been overlooked.

We could be much more versatile with a complementing, receiving tight end to pair with him though. With Kendricks lining up in a lot of H-back type roles, we can see some classic Linehan TE sets in the future!
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    I would argue for LG being a need also. Turner is serviceable, however the depth behind him is really thin. Get a more than adequate LG in the off-season, and you free up a player, who can back-up the whole interior, in the process.
    Don't forge that our 5th(?) round rookie Rok Watkins was looking like a potential starter at LG before he got hurt early in the season. With a full offseason of being on an NFL team and to workout/train/rehab, I have a lot of confidence that he'll be a swing guard or a starter next year. Turner's good to keep as a LG/C.

We need attention at tackle in my opinion far sooner than the interior.
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    I believe!

I'm not saying Kendricks should be cut, but if the Rams are in a position to draft a guy like Tyler Eifert (late 1st/2nd), Zach Ertz (2nd) or Joseph Fauria (3rd), I'd strongly consider doing so.
    Haste likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not saying Kendricks should be cut, but if the Rams are in a position to draft a guy like Tyler Eifert (late 1st/2nd), Zach Ertz (2nd) or Joseph Fauria (3rd), I'd strongly consider doing so.
    We may not use the FB much... but a 2 TE offense has shown it can be rather deadly with exposed matchups for both run and pass games...

Just sayin'.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    We may not use the FB much... but a 2 TE offense has shown it can be rather deadly with exposed matchups for both run and pass games...

Just sayin'.
    If you want to view this as Kendricks being a keeper and the second TE position being one of need, I'd be okay with that.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

no offense but at this point I do not consider Jackson a keeper. He's fastly falling out of the top 15 NFL RB's and in another year or two I doubt he'll be starting caliber.

I'd much rather draft a guy in rounds 3 or 4 and pair him with Richardson and pead rather than spend the money to keep Jackson.

I also agree that Kendricks is not a bust but that does not mean we couldn't use someone like Ertz or Eifert. Both are better pass catchers and having a great TE really opens up the seams.
    Rambos likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast