Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rams' Starters Fall Into 3 Groups

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams' Starters Fall Into 3 Groups

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    no offense but at this point I do not consider Jackson a keeper. He's fastly falling out of the top 15 NFL RB's and in another year or two I doubt he'll be starting caliber.
    No offense taken. I do agree that the Rams should not enter into a deal that puts a big cap number on SJax beyond 2013. I do think, however, he has another good year in him.

I'd much rather draft a guy in rounds 3 or 4 and pair him with Richardson and pead rather than spend the money to keep Jackson.
    Certainly an option. I think there are some good prospects who will be there in those rounds (LeVeon Bell is at the top of my list).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-17-2012 at 09:49 PM.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No offense taken. I do agree that the Rams should not enter into a deal that puts a big cap number on SJax beyond 2013. I do think, however, he has another good year in him.

Certainly an option. I think there are some good prospects who will be there in those rounds (LeVeon Bell is at the top of my list).

I also agree that Kendricks is not a bust but that does not mean we couldn't use someone like Ertz or Eifert. Both are better pass catchers and having a great TE really opens up the seams.
    [/QUOTE]

fans are way too quick to label good solid players as busts just because they haven't fulfilled their expectations. Especially in their first or 2nd years. It takes many players until years 3-5 to contribute and this includes high draft picks.

Kendricks will likely end up with 40 catches this year and he's always been a very solid blocker. The league isn't filled with Gronks and Tony Gonzalez's. Kendricks has the potential to end up a good tight end but, like you, I don't see the game changing receiving ability. Now both Ertz and Eifert possess that. especially Eifert imo, yes Ertz may be the better statistical athletem but Eifert is just a far more fluid route runner, pass catcher and is a great athlete/huge as well.

Who said he's a bust?

shower beers is offline Registered User

fans are way too quick to label good solid players as busts just because they haven't fulfilled their expectations. Especially in their first or 2nd years. It takes many players until years 3-5 to contribute and this includes high draft picks.

Kendricks will likely end up with 40 catches this year and he's always been a very solid blocker. The league isn't filled with Gronks and Tony Gonzalez's. Kendricks has the potential to end up a good tight end but, like you, I don't see the game changing receiving ability. Now both Ertz and Eifert possess that. especially Eifert imo, yes Ertz may be the better statistical athletem but Eifert is just a far more fluid route runner, pass catcher and is a great athlete/huge as well.

To be fair, Kendricks isn't being asked to do what Gonzalez and Gronk are asked to do. For the Rams FO to feel comfortable enough ditching our only FB on the roster in favor of Kendricks, that to me says he's doing an admirable job in his role.

I agree with you that Matthew Mulligan won't cut it for our receiving tight end role though. I'm intrigued by Ertz and Eifert.

Yodude is offline Registered User

but we may need a stop gap(Think Moss in Whinerland this year).
    Moss has 23 receptions for 362 yards this year. I don't know about you, but if we sign a free agent and get that type of production out of him, I'd be pretty pissed off at the front office.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm generally in agreement with the originally posted list. I completely DISAGREE with any suggestion we should entertain the idea of drafting yet another TE in the early rounds. Why?? First off, Kendricks has improved, and I still believe the guy will be a good pro. Those waiting for the next incarnation of Tony Gonzalez, however, might be disappointed. Plus, there are other, more pressing needs this team has than the Tight End position. A big-time receiver, two quality safeties, a good linebacker and yes, the offensive line again- not necessarily in that order- are the areas where we need to focus our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I'm generally in agreement with the originally posted list. I completely DISAGREE with any suggestion we should entertain the idea of drafting yet another TE in the early rounds. Why?? First off, Kendricks has improved, and I still believe the guy will be a good pro. Those waiting for the next incarnation of Tony Gonzalez, however, might be disappointed. Plus, there are other, more pressing needs this team has than the Tight End position. A big-time receiver, two quality safeties, a good linebacker and yes, the offensive line again- not necessarily in that order- are the areas where we need to focus our attention.
    That's why my first choice is Joseph Fauria (UCLA), who I think will be there in the 3rd round.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As a UCLA fan, I love Fauria... but I don't know how I feel about him for the Rams. I feel like he could be a Kendricks clone, which is not necessarily a problem, but it doesn't give us different dynamic weapons. I'd be more in favor in an oversized receiver than one who can be an inline blocker.

EDIT: That's not to say that I don't want a TE who can block. I want one who is a better receiver, whereas Kendicks has so far shown himself to be balanced or slightly better blocking than receiving. Any good basketball players looking to convert?
    Last edited by TekeRam; -12-18-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    I believe!

citr92 is offline Registered User

i'd go with ertz, made some good catches for stanford, and helped anchor a very good offensive line

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    As a UCLA fan, I love Fauria... but I don't know how I feel about him for the Rams. I feel like he could be a Kendricks clone, which is not necessarily a problem, but it doesn't give us different dynamic weapons. I'd be more in favor in an oversized receiver than one who can be an inline blocker.

EDIT: That's not to say that I don't want a TE who can block. I want one who is a better receiver, whereas Kendicks has so far shown himself to be balanced or slightly better blocking than receiving. Any good basketball players looking to convert?
    Fauria is a Red Zone beast. He reminds me of Jimmy Graham.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post

although i'd LOVE an antonio gates 2.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12