RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams, Steussie reach settlement

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/06/2007

Rams tackle Todd Steussie
    (J.B. Forbes/P-D)

In an interesting move, the Rams have reached an injury settlement with offensive tackle Todd Steussie. As a result, Steussie could be eligible to re-join the team some time over the second half of the season.

Steussie suffered a broken left foot in the Rams' preseason finale Aug. 30 against Kansas City. He underwent surgery the next day, and was placed on the injured reserve list Sept. 1. Normally, a trip to the injured reserve list ends a player's season. But teams have a five-day window after the IR designation to work out an injury settlement.

The Rams did just that, sending in the paperwork on their settlement with Steussie to the NFL on Wednesday. Although Steussie won't be healthy enough to play for about two months, the injury settlement makes him a free agent. Per league rule, he is free to re-sign with the Rams sometime in November, but can sign with any other team at any time.

The Rams also reached an injury settlement Wednesday with safety Andre Kirkland.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams, Steussie reach settlement

Do you think this means Steussie will be offered a contract by the Rams as soon as he is fit? And of course, if we cannot find anyone else to fit his role.

general counsel is offline Registered User

This is GREAT news and i give the front office a lOT of credit. I think its highly likely that the rams have a handshake deal with steussie on this. If he heals, they will be able to resign him later. This effectively means we are in the same place as if we kept him on the roster while he healed, only we dont have to use a roster spot to do it. Of course there is a risk that he signs with someone else, but i consider that unlikely and well worth the cost of paying the injury settlement so that he is not done for the year. This could turn out to be a great investment for us. He was only making 1.5 million this year, so even if the settlement was a million bucks or so, we have a great chance of getting him back late in the year if we need him or just want the insurance for the run to the superbowl.

ramming speed to all and kudos to my boy ziggy

general counsel

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Excellent move! I had no idea this was even possible, but it helps freeing up a roster spot while still leaving open the possibility that Steussie could be back later this year, perfect!

RealRam is offline Registered User

As Thomas put it, this is an 'interesting move' indeed. Smart too.

I only hope Steussie will have sufficient time to get back in shape to play come November. It's a broken foot...

Good man.

Drew is offline Registered User

When i first read this,like previous posters i thought great,but now im not so sure as i see it as a move that more than likely will see us playing our first 8 games or so atleast with only 2 natural OT`s!

i dont see why they cant get someone in even if its Stojny and decide when stuessie is fit again what to do!
    i realise they still could do that or they could be thinking if Pace or Barron goes down in the meantime they will bring someone in A.S.A.P but id prefer to see someone in the system ready rather than throwing someone in off the street one week to start the next and if we act now we gonna have more options to pick from!

as for Stuessie,i think once the foot has healed he`ll be ready to go as he can still work in the gym on his upper body strength,i dont see his leg muscles deteriating too much in 8 weeks!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    This is GREAT news and i give the front office a lOT of credit. I think its highly likely that the rams have a handshake deal with steussie on this. If he heals, they will be able to resign him later. This effectively means we are in the same place as if we kept him on the roster while he healed, only we dont have to use a roster spot to do it. Of course there is a risk that he signs with someone else, but i consider that unlikely and well worth the cost of paying the injury settlement so that he is not done for the year. This could turn out to be a great investment for us. He was only making 1.5 million this year, so even if the settlement was a million bucks or so, we have a great chance of getting him back late in the year if we need him or just want the insurance for the run to the superbowl.

ramming speed to all and kudos to my boy ziggy

general counsel
    thats pretty cool I didn't realize thats how it worked, it would be nice to get him back for insurance and I also didn't know Ziggy was your boy, tell him I said hello.

Keenum is offline Registered User

That'll work. I just hope we don't need him before then!