View Poll Results: Are the Rams still considered a finesse team?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Until the Defense learns how to stop anyone they are still a finesse (soft) team.

5 20.83%
  • That was then and the Rams will punch you in the mouth now!

8 33.33%
  • Who cares what anyone else thinks.

11 45.83%
    badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Are the Rams still a "finesse" team?

During the conclusion of the GSOT it seemed that all of the "football experts" were calling the Rams a finesse team. Nothing would irritate me more than a group of biased has beens proclaiming the Rams as a Soft (finesse) team. Do you think that with the emergence of the Rams "power" running game they have dispelled the label or is it tattoed until the defense stiffens?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Are the Rams still a "finesse" team?

I don't think many would call us a finesse team anymore. The main reason would be the number of times a game we pound Jackson down the middle of the field, but we're even getting bigger at receiver with Bennett and the TEs, who should be harder to knock off their routes.

We've still got a smallish defense, but to suggest that they were a "finesse" unit would imply that they were actually good at something last year. I mean let's be honest: the run defense gave Indy a run for worst in the league, the pass rush was Leonard Little alone in most games, and on the rare occasion that our defense held all the way until third down the pass defense would give up beaucoup yards. We had some good individual performances, but the unit as a whole wasn't finesse, wasn't physical...just wasn't good.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

My vote was who cares.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, SJ is a bruising RB (no finesse there) Incognito and finesse just don't go together. Neither does Haslett and his bag of blitzs.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Your poll and post are kind of contradicting you go from defense to offense so I didnt vote. I don't think finesse means soft either, I think it can mean a good thing. I think the GSOT was finesse. The offense was bruising with the amount of points it'd put up on the board but the staple of the offense in the GSOT were post patterns and QB accuracy, which are all about finesse. I think our defense was more about finesse in those years too which I dont really like. There can be good finesse defenses but I enjoy the Haslett blitz packages more.

I think currently our offense isn't finesse at all. Steven Jackson is the opposite of finesse. He's a bruiser who uses burst speed and breaking tackles to get his yards. The WR routes were still post patterns but I think with Bennett, McMicheal and Kolp I think the passing game will be less finesse, exspecially in the red zone. I drool at the thought of a two TE set in the red zone.

So I guess your poll doesnt have an option for me. Our offense it still 50/50 but our defense isn't anymore.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

If I could have voted for all three, I would have.

Yes, the Rams are still considered a "finesse" team by some Ram fans and many fans of other teams. Most of this sentiment is a remnant of the GSOT days, I suspect.

But, I think we're about to change that image. At least, I hope we are. So, I could have voted that way too.

...and thirdly, really, who cares what others think? Wins and losses baby, is all that matters. I don't care if we "finesse" our way to victory, or win with "three yards and a cloud of dust".

Personally, I really don't understand the "finesse" tag anyway. Playing the game of football is hardly a game you "finesse". Just because we get a majority of our yards through the air, rather than a run up the gut, hardly make us a finesse team. If finesse means "soft", than I'd have to say "yes", solely due to our soft and squeeshy defense last year. Let's face it, not many teams feared our D, and haven't for many, many years. So, maybe our D gives us the tag of "finesse"?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

blood85 is offline Registered User

Maybe the so called "experts" should put the pads on themselves or no pads for that matter and see if the can stop Stephen Jackson running full speed or get blind sided by LL, then we can refer back to their original statement, concerning "finesse".

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Never particularly agreed with the term 'finesse' as it's not easily applied to the collision sport that is football. Whether a team is 'west coast' or 'smash mouth' you can't win games unless you are successful in applying a decent level of kinetic force to proceedings. You have to win the same battles in the same places as any other team. The term 'finesse' is used to denigrate teams who are predominantly pass-first or at least very successful in the passing game. Just doesn't wash with me.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It's fairly evident that in an NFL Football context, "finesse" translates to "soft". As many have already noted, anyone who thinks we have a finesse offense hasn't seen Steven Jackson in action lately. As far as the defense and the way we've been pushed around, run over and run through, finesse probably isn't too far off base, much as I hate to admit it.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Absolutely not. With the additions to coaching staff and player on defense, and the transition to a balanced two back running game, with a renewed emphasis on the TE position, getting bigger and more aggressive on both the defensive and offensive lines, I say we are anything but a finesse team. However, I believe we will keep some aspects of the "greatest show on turf" wide open offense as long as our QB and receiver corps maintain their current level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

finesse went out of the window when Action Jackson dragged four seahawks defenders into the endzone on his back

I guess an argument could be made that a "finesse" team is also a mental team. I think what I'm really getting to is the fact that in the past the Rams have suffered when other teams game planned for the timing. As much as Rams games of the past (GSOT era) were fluid works of precision art they were subseptable to their own arrogance. Meaning that if they were not able to play their game they were not able to succeed. Case in point Superbowl 36.

As much as this might seem like an irrelavent post/poll it seems that my fellow Clannies are a little sensitive to the subject matter.

I am quite impressed with the Rams change of philosophy and look forward to its maturation. Just as long as Scott dosent make stupid play calls like he did in the Seattle game last year the Rams will be back.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

scott doesnt call the plays, so i think we are safe from that now

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    scott doesnt call the plays, so i think we are safe from that now
    I copy that.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

i voted for who cares what other people think, because if they do think we are sot we will prove them wrong when their team plays us.
    Built RAM tough