Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams (still) For Sale

RAMS (STILL) FOR SALE
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2008

In addition to the Steelers and (though denied by the team) the Jaguars, the Rams are also for sale, according to SportsBusiness Journal.

Per SBJ, the Rams have hired an investment bank to locate possible buyers. The primary owners, Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez has turned down an offer. Team president John Shaw said that a sale is not actively being pursued.

But Shaw wouldn’t comment on whether an outside company has been hired to oversee any passive efforts to sell.

Meanwhile, SBJ echoes a report last week from the Philadelphia Daily News that Jags owner Wayne Weaver is looking to sell. According to SBJ, Weaver is looking to sell a “significant minority position” in the club.

In May, Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports reported that the Rams are on the market, and that former ***** owner Eddie DeBartolo had some interest in buying them. Chip Rosenbloom responded to the report by saying that he has “every intention of keeping the Rams in St. Louis,” but said nothing about whether he has any intention of keeping the Rams.

So, basically, all or a significant part of three of the NFL’s 32 franchises — the Steelers, Rams, and Jaguars, — are currently available to anyone with a few extra hundred million laying around.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams (still) For Sale

The Rams aren't staying in St Louis. Now do they come to L.A.? depends on if another team beats em to it. But the NFL will be in L.A. before the start of the 2012 season.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Hiring an investment bank hardly indicates that a sale is likely to happen any time soon. They could merely be gauging the team's market value.

Of course, none of that logic will prevent PFW and Mike Florio from reporting that the team is "for sale."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If I had a nickel everytime some fan said the Rams were leaving St. Louis, I would have enough to buy the team.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I am curious if the offer they received was turned because it involved a move?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Maybe I'm wrong here, but if someone is in the market to find out the value of something, they're usually in the market to sell it, when the price is right. Just because they "turned down" an offer, doesn't mean they aren't serious about selling. The fact that they're listening to offers, and have hired an investment bank suggests that they are going to sell the team. I don't think they'll have a fire sale and sell the team immediately, but it sounds like Chippy isn't interested in being an NFL owner. ...at least not for long.

I think it's just a question of who buys it, which will determine where the Vagabond Rams go next. (and no, I don't think it will be LA. I don't think Chippy would sell to anyone wanting to relocate back to LA)

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong here, but if someone is in the market to find out the value of something, they're usually in the market to sell it, when the price is right. Just because they "turned down" an offer, doesn't mean they aren't serious about selling. The fact that they're listening to offers, and have hired an investment bank suggests that they are going to sell the team. I don't think they'll have a fire sale and sell the team immediately, but it sounds like Chippy isn't interested in being an NFL owner. ...at least not for long.

I think it's just a question of who buys it, which will determine where the Vagabond Rams go next. (and no, I don't think it will be LA. I don't think Chippy would sell to anyone wanting to relocate back to LA)

I will give you $750 million to buy your team. You will not be able to afford the taxes that will come due in a few years and will be in financial trouble if you try to hold on. Are you going to really squabble about what the new owner can and can not do with the team?

Let's make it a more realistic situation. You are behind in mortgage payment and realize that will need to sell your house. Someone offer to buy your house and will get you out of debt and make a tidy profit. Will you say I will sell my house to you only if you live in it and not rent it out or use it as rental property. You probably would not. I know I wouldn't in that situation.

He is treating the Rams as a business and not emotionally. If he was treating it emotionally, there would be no rumbling about gauging market price of this team or rumor of selling. He knows the situation and he knows eventually he will have to sell or come up with the hundred of millions in taxes. He know he got a few years and will try to maximize his profit before the tax man cometh.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

Quote Originally Posted by onslaught11 View Post
    I will give you $750 million to buy your team. You will not be able to afford the taxes that will come due in a few years and will be in financial trouble if you try to hold on. Are you going to really squabble about what the new owner can and can not do with the team?

Let's make it a more realistic situation. You are behind in mortgage payment and realize that will need to sell your house. Someone offer to buy your house and will get you out of debt and make a tidy profit. Will you say I will sell my house to you only if you live in it and not rent it out or use it as rental property. You probably would not. I know I wouldn't in that situation.

He is treating the Rams as a business and not emotionally. If he was treating it emotionally, there would be no rumbling about gauging market price of this team or rumor of selling. He knows the situation and he knows eventually he will have to sell or come up with the hundred of millions in taxes. He know he got a few years and will try to maximize his profit before the tax man cometh.
    I understand your point, and I personally would probably not hold back a sell for emotional reasons, but that's not to say Chippy won't. From what I've read from him since his mother's death, he seems to be very emotional about how he thinks his mom was treated by LA fans when she took control of the team. That's not to say that if push comes to shove, he won't sign the team over to someone that wants to move the team to LA, I just don't think he would, IF he had a choice. I believe he'd take a lesser offer if the new owner promised to keep the team in St Louis, rather then a more generous offer to move the team back to LA.

[/QUOTE] I believe he'd take a lesser offer if the new owner promised to keep the team in St Louis, rather then a more generous offer to move the team back to LA.[/QUOTE]

And that's entirely possible, that's why I felt he turned down the initial offer, he is seriously bent over her treatment in LA and will try to keep the team from going back there. I am almost certain he probably has already talked to the LA guy, who is it Rowski? Anyway, here is a quote from the LA Stadium FAQ's...

"Don’t take my Raiders or Chargers.
    It is our understanding that the National Football League has no intention of expanding, but they do want to be in Los Angeles. State-of-the-art stadiums are required for teams to stay competitive in today’s NFL. We do not control what team will play in the new Los Angeles Stadium, but we do know it will be an existing team that needs to move because they cannot build a new stadium or financially they are not successful in their current market. We can not disclose which teams we are talking with. "

HEADSLAP75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If I had a nickel everytime some fan said the Rams were leaving St. Louis, I would have enough to buy the team.

If so, then I would buy everyone a seat to sell out the stadium!

I hear chip, and sissy are going to build a replica motorized float of mama Ram playing the center position, forever bent over with her hands around some balls. Ready set hike! to bad the only thing that moved was her dress, over the back of her head that is......

So the kids want to honor Georgia after her death, will you please tell the membership here what she did to honor the late MR. ROSENBLOOM, in a super bowl year in 1979 no less.

Aside from being late to his services, NOTHING!!! wait..... 3 months later she did remarry but instead of a picture or something of the man that built the team that went to the super bowl that year, she thought it better to sit in a hotel with her new STIFF and scalp super bowl tickits to a game we eventually lost to the steelers.

So we here in L.A. so. cal area plan to...... erect...... (Georgia's happy word)... a 100 ft. picture of her mouth, and in the cold black dark center of the picture the words...... STUFF ME!! I GO DEEP!!.......

LA RAM FAN.....HEADSLAP75.....JUST RAMS BABY!!!

ok, non-Californians, any questions on why the Rosenbloom's were so mad when they left LA?.....I didn't think so!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I have given my assurances to Chip that I would move the Rams to Tulsa, not LA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't want to get into a debate about the Rams coming back to LA. I'll believe it when I see it. But is anyone really gullable enough to think that Chippy hired a guy just to answer the phone because of all the phone calls he was getting to buy the team.... (which is basically what he said) Well, how many phone calls do you really think they get each day? Enough to hire somebody full time to answer it so that Chippy can concentrate on running the team? Please. He knows tax day is coming and he and sissy are going to sell this team. I feel for the fans in St. Louis.

I was reading a blog on STLTODAY.com, called "talk of the Day", and it sure sounds like the St. Louis locals believe the Rams are good as gone. Here's the link. Read what some of the locals are saying about their Rams.

Talk of the Day » Blog Archive » After Anheuser-Busch, should we brace for the NFL Rams’ departure?

HEADSLAP75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    ok, non-Californians, any questions on why the Rosenbloom's were so mad when they left LA?.....I didn't think so!

Left L.A.???... The los Angeles Rams left L.A. The Rosenbloom's, L.A. Johnny Shaw never went anywhere!.... Georgia wounldn't even die in her beloved STL. The Rams have a corporate office here to this day, it's always phoned in, believe it.

Does anyone think you could find any one of them in STL. at a moments notice, well on picture day maybe, LMAO..... Any questions...... I didn't think so!!

LA RAM FAN.......HEADSLAP75.......JUST RAMS BABY!!!

"They" being the Rams. Players. Team. Games now played in St Louis,etc. I might as well say "Greater LA are, including Anaheim" while I'm at it before I get the old LA ain't OC lecture.

Anyway, Carol Rosenbloom was the one behind taking the team out of Los Angeles "Proper" and the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The City of Los Angeles, much like the City of Anaheim would only do so much to keep the team, plus with Rozelle's blackout rule and the 100k seating capacity, it was hard to sell out the Coliseum. The team announced the move in 1978, he died in 1979. She really was doing what he was going to do anyway. Plus, I am sure there was money it. I am not sure on this, but I believe the team was the only business they were in. So to me the true driving force for Georgia's decision to move the team was the money she was paid to do so. I thought it was 250 million, but that's what it cost to build the Ed. If anyone knows how much she was paid, I would love to know. I did however find an interesting article on all of the players involved in the move and it jogged a lot of old, angry, memories...enjoy!

Locking horns | Sporting News, The | Find Articles at BNET

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast