Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By bradwill
  • 1 Post By Ram Dragoon

Thread: Rams stomp Texans 38-13 to begin playoff drive; The good, the bad and the ugly

general counsel is offline Registered User

Rams stomp Texans 38-13 to begin playoff drive; The good, the bad and the ugly

Well guys, the Ram team that we have been waiting for finally showed up, clobbering the Texans 38-13 in a potentially season altering blowout on the road. Despite getting gashed in the first half by multiple long runs by Foster, the Rams triumphed with tough red zone defense, forced turnovers, efficient red zone offense, a solid if not spectacular running game and some big plays on special teams. The win brings the Rams to 3-3 with a huge road game at Carolina coming next Sunday. A win next week would set up a showdown with the Seachickens on Monday night in the Dome for the Rams to really push for a wild card spot this year, which sounds incredible given how atrocious we were against Dallas and the Whiners. Such is life in the NFL! But before we get ahead of ourselves, let's look at the good, the bad and the ugly from this week.

The Good

An efficient and capable performance by Sammy (12-16, 117 yards, 3tds, no int's and no sacks, passer rating of 134.6). Despite modest overall numbers, the running game allowed Sammy to stay away from really bad down and distance and he actually played better than the numbers indicated. He made no mistakes and threw a perfect deep ball for a TD which Givens dropped. He led critical long drives and made some big throws on third down with the game in doubt early on. All the people that are bashing away should look at the overall numbers, consider the drops and the erratic line play and especially focus on the TD-INT ratio, which i believe is now 13-3 (keeping in mind that at least one of those INT's was a horrific deflection of Richardson's hands in the Atlanta game). Is Sammy perfect? Of course not, but i continue to contend that there is no way he is the problem on this team and remains our franchise qb.

Zac Stacy can play. Very tough running between the tackles. If Zac got any lower he would be crawling through the defense. His performance of 18-79 included several nice runs and he was stopped for no gain or a loss on plays he had no chance on a few times. He missed a hole early on, but more than made up for it with solid play throughout the game. He is obviously our starter and mainstay back at this point. He is a bit more elusive inside the tackles than many thought and i love how he really moves the pile and finishes runs.

Brockers played like a force of nature today. 7 tackles and two sacks, he was just tremendous. Always around the ball, i think the upside is unlimited.

Credit to the offensive line. Per the box score, JJ Watt had ZERO tackles and only one qb hit. I dont think any of us would have believed that possible going into the game. The running game makes all the difference in the world.

Quick (nice slant, we need to run that play more), Kendricks and Harkey (great play actions) all had key TD catches. Our red zone conversions were a huge difference in this game, especially coupled with our red zone stops in the first half, holding them to field goals and forcing the hopkins fumble in the red zone. The Texans had three very long drives in the first half and came away with only six points.

Outstanding play by mcleod forcing the fumble on the kickoff, that popped up in the air allowing Master Bates to score his first NFL td.

Great int and 98 yard runback for the TD by the Tree, who had 10 tackles on the day. He is heading for stardom when he improves his tackling. Fastest and most athletic all around Rams linebacker since the great, great Isiah Robertson.

5 sacks (2 for brockers, one for Long, Quinn at the end)

We scored 2 td's in 6 seconds! That has to be a team record.

Nice fumble return by Laurinaitis.
    The receivers didnt do much today, but in addition to the td's, pettis, cook and givens all had key third down catches at big points in the game, and richardson had a nice screen catch for a first down as well (we only had 15 first downs).

Jo Lon Dunbar had 9 tackles. Langford was credited with 8, which is incredible to me since they were running right over him in the first half.

I saw no injuries today (i hope i am right about that).

Only one false start and i dont think we had any offensive holding penalties. Somehow, Ray Ray made it a full week without a penalty on special teams and even made a clean tackle.

Forcing the four turnovers while not turning the ball over, couple with winning on both sides of the ball in the red zone is going to win you a ton of games, regardless of what any other statistics say (ie we only had 216 total yards vs 420 for Houston).

The Bad

First half run defense (Foster around 100 yards, including back to back runs of over 20 yards) was just awful, but we were saved by our red zone play. Foster had 141 yards on the day and we missed way too many tackles in the first half, including an ugly whiff by Janoris.

The personal fouls were better this week, but we did get very sloppy in garbage time. Simms managed personal fouls on back to back plays and Cudjo had two this week as well. Chris Long had a bad offsides on a fourth down and 5.

Quick missed an adjustment on a ball that hit him right in the back from sammy that should have been a nice gain and with one broken tackle, could have been a very long play.

The Ugly

The leg's second half kickoff went out of bounds. No reason for that.
    Given dropped a sure TD on a bomb that was a perfect throw from sammy
    Chris Williams had a big false start on a key third and short that led to us settling for a field goal early.

Summary

If you look at where we are right now, my estimate is we are really only one game off from where we realistically could have hoped to be. The failure to show up at home vs the whiners is the tough one to swallow, especially after such a bad game vs Dallas and with the whiners banged up. A win against Carolina puts us at 4-3 and in a position to really make a statement with a huge home game vs seattle. In the NFL, its week to week. There are no style points. The question is whether the Rams can really build on the momentum from the last two wins on the road again against a pretty tough team in Carolina with a stingy defense and Cam Newton. The Rams have talent, albeit young talent, and consistency is going to be a challenge for Coach Fisher. Carolina is a tough but winnable game and we will see what happens. In any event, the Rams gave an excellent four quarter effort today on the road and won in very convincing fashion against a team that many had predicted were super bowl bound or at least a second choice to Denver at the start of the season. This was a game that at the start of the season looked like a loss, and this kind of win really creates the opportunity to build and move onward and upward.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RamDez, RealRam, MauiRam and 7 others like this.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams stomp Texans 38-13 to begin playoff drive; The good, the bad and the ugly

I would only disagree that the loss against ATL was worse than losing to SF as they have proven to be a pretty bad team, Their only win to date is to us and that was because of our putrid 1st half.

MACD is offline Registered User

Re: Rams stomp Texans 38-13 to begin playoff drive; The good, the bad and the ugly

"Master Bates" ....scratch one keyboard!

bradwill is offline Registered User

Big + for the Isiah Robertson mention! Still remember long ago one game he was not dressed and standing on the sidelines with his pimp coat and hat and boots with the goldfish in them at the bottom. Guy could really play though. Ogeltree was outstanding at University of Georgia and has a ton of talent. He's only going to get better.

Loved the game. Loved the redzone scoring yet again, though I am probably going to have to drop GZ from my FF team because the Rams are being very productive in the redzone at putting up TD's.

This was a big road win for the Rams and I got no gripes. Yeah, the LB's got sucked-up inside and Foster made them pay, but quite a good team effort from all sides. Hurray!
    PARamfan likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Road wins always are great for a young teams confidence. Now we go to Carolina for a very tough D and another good run game. Big game for growth. Want to see Sam keep it up and the OLine has to do their part.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    Big + for the Isiah Robertson mention! Still remember long ago one game he was not dressed and standing on the sidelines with his pimp coat and hat and boots with the goldfish in them at the bottom. Guy could really play though. Ogeltree was outstanding at University of Georgia and has a ton of talent. He's only going to get better.

Loved the game. Loved the redzone scoring yet again, though I am probably going to have to drop GZ from my FF team because the Rams are being very productive in the redzone at putting up TD's.

This was a big road win for the Rams and I got no gripes. Yeah, the LB's got sucked-up inside and Foster made them pay, but quite a good team effort from all sides. Hurray!
    I used to see Isiah Robertson all the time, my mom used to date him. True story.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

We got to keep in mind the Rams victories have come against opponents with less then .500 records. The next two games I think really are the bench marks to the teams progress. More so the Seagulls game. In this one the Rams had to stop Foster and keep Watt from planting Bradford. Kind a mixed results in the must do department, for as mentioned the early goings against the run was really shaky but a major improvement in pass protection.

Question is can the Rams scheme off Brocker's strong play up front with some creative blitzes. If so, the Rams can seal the edges and bring the heat for our friend Wilson and Cam. The strength of the Panthers/Seagulls is their QBs--neutralize them and you win. I'd rather the Rams focus first on their QBs and limit their run with Laurinaitis
    PARamfan likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Excellent G-B-U summary!

If our D could just improve as needed, why...

So Givens owes Sammy a long TD huh? Can do. I look forward to it.