Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

From the Wallstreet Journal

February 15, 2008, 3:31 pm
    Former Ram, Others, Sue Patriots Over Alleged Videotaping
    Posted by Dan Slater

Super BowlTwo days after Roger Clemens tesified before Congress about alleged steroid use, allegations of illicit activities in sports stand to tarnish another dynasty.

Lawyers for a former St. Louis Ram, Willie Gary, and others filed a complaint today against the New England Patriots and the Patriots’ coach, Bill Belichick. Here’s a copy of the complaint. The suit, a putative class action filed in federal court in Louisiana, seeks more than $100 million (that’s not a typo) for alleged “fraudulent videotaping” of the Rams walk-through practice prior to the 2002 Super Bowl. In addition to Gary, the putative plaintiffs are ticket purchasers and the 72,922 attendees of the Super Bowl. Here’s an early story from the Boston Herald.

This suit is based on allegations that a team employee recorded the Rams walk-through practice on the Saturday before Super Bowl XXXVI at the Louisiana Superdome. The Patriots won the game 20-17. Here are earlier NYT stories (here and here) on the imbroglio.

The Patriots and the NFL have said there is no evidence that the 2002 taping occurred.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

So this isn't actually the Rams doing that, but lawyers for a former Ram player?
    Hmm. Still, it's more action and publicity for the Spygate case. Even if this is a total bust, I think it adds a bit more fuel to the fire.

Here is some more info on it:

Not long after the Patriots were caught videotaping defensive coaching signals, a class action was filed on behalf of Jets season-ticket holders. (The current status of that action is unknown.)
    Now, another class action has been filed against the Patriots based on published reports of cheating in connection with Super Bowl XXXVI. And one of the plaintiffs played for the Rams, whose final walk-through practice allegedly was taped secretly by the Patriots.
    According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, former Rams player Willie Gary has joined with a Cincinnati ticket broker who attended the game to file suit against the Patriots in a New Orleans federal court. Super Bowl XXXVI was played at the Louisiana Superdome in February 2002.
    The action seeks a full refund for all persons who attended the game. At $400 a pop and 72,922 pops, that's $29,168,800.
    Also, the suit demands payment to all Rams players of the $25,000 difference between the winners' share and the losers' share, and of the value of a Super Bowl ring.
    The lawsuit alleges that the Patriots engaged in fraud, racketeering, breach of contract, and violation of Louisiana’s unfair trade practices and consumer protection act.
    At a minimum, the filing of this action means that, one way or another, former Patriots employee Matt Walsh's story will come out. He will be subject to subpoena via the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii, and the subpoena will overcome the terms of any confidentiality agreement.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

$100 Million Class Action Filed Over Patriots Videotaping at Super Bowl

Posted by Eriq Gardner

Football This just breaking: Lawyers for an ex-St. Louis Rams player and others have filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of more than the 70,000 fans who attended the 2002 Super Bowl between the Rams and the New England Patriots. The plaintiffs accuse the defendants (including Patriots head coach Bill Belichick) of “fraudulent videotaping” of the Rams' walk-through practice prior to the 2002 Super Bowl. They seek damages in excess of $100 million. Here's a copy of the complaint.

Typically, it's easy to shrug of class action lawsuits. But given that this one is stemming from a person who was involved with one of the league's franchises, it could have serious repercussions for the image of America's most popular sport and perhaps the broadcast networks that have paid more than $3 billion for rights to NFL games.

well we (as in the ClanRam mods) new about this a couple of weeks ago but decided not to act on it

lol.
    I know a guy who was at the Super Bowl, so would he get a refund if this somehow actually went though?
    At the least, hopefully it WILL get Walsh to talk, and continue to smear the Patriots* already filthy name.

I am not going to post the emails that were sent to us but the bottom line is this

Damages may include but are not limited to loss of value of seat licenses and/or purchase price of tickets

Well let's just hope this has kept that door open on Spygate at the least.
    Common Senator Specter, keep it going!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Man I thought the current team was suing the Pats.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Ha! The NEPs are being nipped! What a strong slap across the face of "a dynasty"...

I just hope they, the Patsies, don't counter sue anyone in this developing 'imbroglio' and that in the end, we members of the Clan will receive a little $lice of the cash. Go for it Dez!

After all, we've been supporting the allegations Vs. the New Cheatland Paynots since last year and as zealous, impassioned Rams fans ... demand justice! :bash:

Wow. The 18-1 infamy continues. Kick 'em while they're down. Nice going Belichick.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-15-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Smilie

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As big as a Ram-fan/Patriot-hater as I am, as a lawyer, all I can say is that this is a publicity stunt and a complete misuse of the judicial system.

Don't expect this lawsuit to accomplish anything of substance.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't know, Av. Goodell stated that the Pats have been videotaping since 2000. Wouldn't that be an admission of guilt made public?

I so desperately want to see Belichick end up having to pay, and the entire pats franchise dissassembled. The NFL would then have a spot for a new 32nd team, and I think sending Brady and the rest of the team to somewhere like Lybia would be fitting.

I hope Oakland follows suit, since they got screwed out of a win in the playoffs.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I don't know, Av. Goodell stated that the Pats have been videotaping since 2000. Wouldn't that be an admission of guilt made public?
    That's not the point. There are so many problems with this case.

First, I seriously doubt that the class, as defined, would meet the criteria for a class action under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

Second, it is highly questionable whether any of the named plaintiffs have standing to bring these claims.

Third, even if it could be proven that the practice was taped, that does not mean that, from a legal standpoint, the damages claimed were proximately caused by that act.

There are many other problems. Trust me, this isn't goint to accomplish anything other than perhaps create headlines.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As big as a Ram-fan/Patriot-hater as I am, as a lawyer, all I can say is that this is a publicity stunt and a complete misuse of the judicial system.

Don't expect this lawsuit to accomplish anything of substance.
    I'd have to agree, I'm not sure what this would accomplish outside of league-wide embarassment and a media frenzy.

The result won't change, but perhaps when looking at the Patriots 'achievments' people will apply a mental asterisk of their own. That's the biggest thing to come out of this, the tarnish that's been self-applied to one of the leagues most dominant franchises due to the hubris of their dour, humourless, charmless and morally ambivalent coach.

I agree with AvengerRam.
    If I were a betting man, I'd put a lot that we (always on the Rams side, so I'm saying we, lol) do NOT win this case. It is a publicity stunt.

But it could help in getting Walsh to testify.
    Since Goodell is trying to scare off Walsh, I think others are trying to say "shut up Roger" and trying to force the tide the other way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-15-2008, 07:44 PM