Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43
  1. #16
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,582
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    i dont see how they expect to get money back on the SB tickets, the cheating the Pats did actually made it a closer and therefore more interesting game

    if they didnt cheat the game would have been over by the end of the third quarter, and thats not good value for money when it comes to SB tickets!


  2. #17
    Keenum's Avatar
    Keenum is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,865
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    But can you call it "value" when one team CHEATED the other team out of a win?
    It may have looked like a better game, but it's like saying this good looking piece of ham is better because you can't see the green mold on the inside of it.
    I'd much rather have the ham that may not look as beautiful, but it's 100% wholesome, clean, and untainted.

  3. #18
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    I think the issue would be whether it was fraudulent. Like Av said, this doesn't look like a very sound case, but if there was ever going to be one that might hold up, I would think you would have to prove that the "product" was something other than what was advertised. It would probably take more than just cheating, but something like the NFL deliberately and knowingly giving one team the edge over the other. Like if they actually helped the cameraman get in to film the Rams. Then it could be argued that the league itself scammed ticket-purchasers by trying to pass off a semi-staged event as a truly even contest.

    Of course, I'm no lawyer. So even then, I don't know whether a class action lawsuit would really have a chance.

  4. #19
    BM_Face's Avatar
    BM_Face is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Age
    43
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's not the point. There are so many problems with this case.

    First, I seriously doubt that the class, as defined, would meet the criteria for a class action under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

    Second, it is highly questionable whether any of the named plaintiffs have standing to bring these claims.

    Third, even if it could be proven that the practice was taped, that does not mean that, from a legal standpoint, the damages claimed were proximately caused by that act.

    There are many other problems. Trust me, this isn't goint to accomplish anything other than perhaps create headlines.
    I am not a lawyer so I am not sure, but it seems like any depositions taken for the class action suit might be used in a later congressional investigation or criminal trial. If so, then the class action lawsuit might accomplish something substantial and contribute to building a later case.

    Headlines, even if gained from silly lawsuits, put pressure on the Pat's organization, and enough pressure will cause something will give, like solid evidence or witnesses. GoArlen! GoRams!

  5. #20
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. We fans are going to have a hard time dealing with an organization that is rotten at the core if it is exposed. It seems the truth will come out at some point in time and I hope we all can deal with it.

    I doubt this lawsuit will do anything but raise public awareness of a problem. There is no way they are going to award the ticket holders any money for a game that was played in its entirety.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #21
    ramsanddodgers's Avatar
    ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,249
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    As big as a Ram-fan/Patriot-hater as I am, as a lawyer, all I can say is that this is a publicity stunt and a complete misuse of the judicial system.

    Don't expect this lawsuit to accomplish anything of substance.

    Ahhh, AV, but there seems to be rampant misuse of our judicial system these days.

    Present company excluded, of course!
    RnD

    GO RAMS!!

  7. #22
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. We fans are going to have a hard time dealing with an organization that is rotten at the core if it is exposed. It seems the truth will come out at some point in time and I hope we all can deal with it.
    Hard time dealing with what? We already know we got screwed by the refs in that game, it's not like this is something really new and all of a sudden we all have a bad taste in our mouth about that game. Most of us have had a bad taste in our mouth since that Superbowl. I don't see how anyone isn't ready for the whole truth to come out and see the Pats exposed for what they really are.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

  8. #23
    LA Rammer's Avatar
    LA Rammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wilmington, CA
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,666
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    I'm going to file another suite for emotional damages. Ever since that super bowl I haven't been the same. I could have been huge had it not been for this set back. Anybody have Warner's phone number?
    LA RAMMER

    It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

  9. #24
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Hard time dealing with what? We already know we got screwed by the refs in that game, it's not like this is something really new and all of a sudden we all have a bad taste in our mouth about that game. Most of us have had a bad taste in our mouth since that Superbowl. I don't see how anyone isn't ready for the whole truth to come out and see the Pats exposed for what they really are.
    Yeah I am having a hard time dealing with it. Ramtime and I have had many conversations about this topic and I have come to grips with the fact the patriots got away with breaking the rules back in the 9/11 days. I am still wondering if the refs play favorites in the playoffs, or if they just call less penalties and certain teams take advantage of this fact.

    But, now that it appears that Belichick has been cheating and videotaping for years and no one has said anything to stop it bothers me a lot. Is it true that one of his assistant coaches went to the Jets and called him out after the Jets lost this year? Does it take an insider from “that” team to blow the whistle because the NFL as an organization would rather turn a blind eye than take responsibility for providing a fair chance to both teams? Certainly other coaches and players have complained about things in the past. Were their complaints ignored? Did the NFL want to have another team dynasty at any cost?

    Martz always sounded crazy when he would kick out the media and demand closed practices, but maybe he knew more than we know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #25
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,374
    Rep Power
    46

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Yeah I am having a hard time dealing with it. Ramtime and I have had many conversations about this topic and I have come to grips with the fact the patriots got away with breaking the rules back in the 9/11 days. I am still wondering if the refs play favorites in the playoffs, or if they just call less penalties and certain teams take advantage of this fact.

    But, now that it appears that Belichick has been cheating and videotaping for years and no one has said anything to stop it bothers me a lot. Is it true that one of his assistant coaches went to the Jets and called him out after the Jets lost this year? Does it take an insider from “that” team to blow the whistle because the NFL as an organization would rather turn a blind eye than take responsibility for providing a fair chance to both teams? Certainly other coaches and players have complained about things in the past. Were their complaints ignored? Did the NFL want to have another team dynasty at any cost?

    Martz always sounded crazy when he would kick out the media and demand closed practices, but maybe he knew more than we know.
    I guess I'm looking at it differently. I won't have a hard time dealing with anything that comes out that proves the Pats as cheaters and frauds. I want it all to come out. In fact I will feel somewhat vindicated because deep down I (& most of us I think) knew something wasn't right with that game (besides the horrible officiating) but I couldn't put my finger on it, so was I just crazy, or was I right? It now seems possible that I was right. So no we probably won't get a trophy, or merchandise etc, but knowing that the "so called" Pats dynasty has been exposed and was all a fraud works for me and is the best we can hope for.

    Goodell obviously hasn't handled this well so far, but how innocent is Paul Tagliabue is the question. Looks like he got out at the right time. The timing of things is interesting. Tags retires, and then the Pats finally decide they need quality WRs and go out and get 3 top notch WRs at once. So did they have an idea that things might come crashing down? When the offense knows what the defense is doing it sure is easy to win with some average WRs isn't it. It might be a stretch but I put nothing past the Pats now.

    So the Pats get busted in week one and then come out and start destroying teams taking the focus off of Spygate and on a perfect season. Goodell destroys evidence and has no good reason why but the Pats are still undefeated so all of the focus is on that and not Spygate. Then Matt Walsh shows up right before the Super Bowl dun dun dun and the Pats actually lose the game that most thought they had in the bag. It was perfect.

    So I will always have a bad taste in my mouth and feel cheated in a way about 2001, but I'm not having a hard time watching this Pats crap get exposed. It's all we have left to cheer for really when it comes to the past.

    I never thought Martz was crazy for closing practices, I liked it. That was mostly the media complaining about that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

  11. #26
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    49
    Posts
    8,614
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    I'd have to agree, I'm not sure what this would accomplish outside of league-wide embarassment and a media frenzy.

    Thats works for me, the NFL looks like a joke to me at times and this does not help.

  12. #27
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I guess I'm looking at it differently. I won't have a hard time dealing with anything that comes out that proves the Pats as cheaters and frauds. I want it all to come out. In fact I will feel somewhat vindicated because deep down I (& most of us I think) knew something wasn't right with that game (besides the horrible officiating) but I couldn't put my finger on it, so was I just crazy, or was I right? It now seems possible that I was right. So no we probably won't get a trophy, or merchandise etc, but knowing that the "so called" Pats dynasty has been exposed and was all a fraud works for me and is the best we can hope for.

    Goodell obviously hasn't handled this well so far, but how innocent is Paul Tagliabue is the question. Looks like he got out at the right time. The timing of things is interesting. Tags retires, and then the Pats finally decide they need quality WRs and go out and get 3 top notch WRs at once. So did they have an idea that things might come crashing down? When the offense knows what the defense is doing it sure is easy to win with some average WRs isn't it. It might be a stretch but I put nothing past the Pats now.

    So the Pats get busted in week one and then come out and start destroying teams taking the focus off of Spygate and on a perfect season. Goodell destroys evidence and has no good reason why but the Pats are still undefeated so all of the focus is on that and not Spygate. Then Matt Walsh shows up right before the Super Bowl dun dun dun and the Pats actually lose the game that most thought they had in the bag. It was perfect.

    So I will always have a bad taste in my mouth and feel cheated in a way about 2001, but I'm not having a hard time watching this Pats crap get exposed. It's all we have left to cheer for really when it comes to the past.
    We have been talking about this for years. I was at the Pittsburgh Patriots playoff game that year and that loss never felt right to me either. I am sure the Raiders fans are still bitter about their loss due to the tuck rule. That year with the 9/11 attacks was a strange year for football and the media certainly loved having the Patriots win the Super Bowl. How lovely, and patriotic, and symbolic of a country that would overcome adversity.

    I understand your desire to have the 2001 explained. You say "I will feel somewhat vindicated because deep down I (& most of us I think) knew something wasn't right with that game (besides the horrible officiating) but I couldn't put my finger on it, so was I just crazy, or was I right?" Now it appears that we have bad officiating and illegal taping of critical items to help the patriots win that game. You and lots of other fans can feel vindicated.

    Unfortunately, this video taping issue involves every year since then and many other teams that have lost to the Patriots in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl. How do you think the Panthers fans and the Eagles fans are going to feel about their losses in the Super Bowl by 3 points for each game? They are not going to be happy. These were close games and an illegal tape could have made the difference in all of New England’s Super Bowl wins. This shakes the foundation of the NFL. It is not just about one year now. It is not just about the Rams now. I wish the Panthers would have won the Super Bowl in 2004. The playoff game that we played against them was a great game. That game is stuck in my memory as a nail biter and it was so frustrating to lose to them in OT, but nothing felt strange about their win. I cheered for them to win the Super Bowl that year.

    You are right about Goodell not handling this well so far since all he has done is slap the Patriots hands with some minor penalties and then try to call the issue closed by destroying the evidence. Tagliabue may have had a hand in ignoring the possibility of unfair advantages as well.

    Yes we can feel happy to know something was not right in 2001, but I was not prepared to think about years of corrupt behavior in a sport that I dearly love to watch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #28
    RamsFanSam's Avatar
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, United States
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,602
    Rep Power
    67

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    I look at this as the "Pete Rose" scandal, except this is football instead of baseball. The Pete Rose scandal caused a lot of attention to be turned to the dirty side of baseball, and that is what this lawsuit will probably end up doing to football.
    Look at this with a different point of view. Football has had a lot of bad press lately. Just sitting here, this is what comes to mind:

    1. Pacman Jones.
    2. Michael Vick.
    3. Tank Johnson.
    4. Travis Henry.
    5. Shawne Merriman.
    6. The 'Love Boat'.

    Why would anyone think a cheating scandal would be a bigger black eye than what it already has? It would result in the entire sport being put under a microscope, and maybe that would help weed out the rotten apples from the entire bushel. I think we would all rather watch two teams go at it on an even basis than see one team playing honest against a team stacked with unfair advantages. If this issue is swept under the rug, the NFL will end up becoming just like wrestling - nothing but a show put on to rake in money.

  14. #29
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    I'm going to file another suite for emotional damages. Ever since that super bowl I haven't been the same. I could have been huge had it not been for this set back. Anybody have Warner's phone number?
    I 'm with you on that suite,I don't think any of us have been the same since then.

  15. #30
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    40

    Re: Rams sue Pats for 100 million!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    If this issue is swept under the rug, the NFL will end up becoming just like wrestling - nothing but a show put on to rake in money.
    We are headed in that direction already :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. -02-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live-Feb. 5th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -02-06-2008, 12:24 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -11-28-2007, 01:48 AM
  3. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
  4. RamView, 10/2/2005: Giants 44, Rams 24 (Long)
    By MFranke in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-03-2005, 08:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •