Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Super Bowl hero may face fraud charges

A federal prosecutor said fraud charges may be considered against former St. Louis Rams football player Mike Jones, after neither Jones nor his lawyer kept a date Friday to tell a judge what Jones' foundation did with $42,000 in charitable funds.

"I think we do need to look into the matter for potential charges here, given the fact that there may be some fraud involved," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen Clark.

Michael Katz, a lawyer for the foundation, arrived later at the federal courthouse in East St. Louis and spoke with a judge. He told a reporter the funds were used legitimately and that there is no crime - only lapsed record-keeping by Jones.

"His heart is there, but his head was not as quick as his heart," said Katz, who also represents the St. Louis Rams on some matters. "My admonition to him is that you can't be a one-man show."

The Michael Jones Foundation was one of 15 charities to get a share of a $1 million federal fine from a property owner who had allowed prostitution to take place in two nightclubs in Brooklyn. Jones' plan was to build a grocery store and commercial center in the impoverished town.

Katz said Brooklyn's village leaders blocked the idea, fearing it would be a target for crime. Instead, the money was used to build a home, and Jones added some of his own funds to complete it, the lawyer said. The former Rams player didn't realize he should have informed U.S. District Judge Michael J. Reagan about changing his plan, Katz said.

The foundation was in line to receive $32,000 more from the fund, but the judge froze that.

Katz said he will prepare a thorough report on how the funds were distributed.

Jones' foundation was the only charity given the parcels of land where the nightclubs were located. But Judge Reagan said Jones never took possession of the property from U.S. marshals, and the buildings have since been gutted or burned and are unusable. The $32,000 may be used to raze them.

Jones played linebacker for the St. Louis Rams from 1997 through 2000, making a game-saving tackle for the Rams at the end of the Super Bowl in January 2000.

His foundation was administratively dissolved by the Missouri secretary of state in January. Since then, paperwork has been filed in an attempt to revive it.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Super Bowl hero may face fraud charges

I refuse to beleive this one. I think he will prove his case. He talked about all his charitable works at the Clan Bash. I guess anyone can get greedy but I will not beleive this unless it is proven beyond a doubt that he is guilty.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

This is a bigger sham than O.J.!

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Who? MIKE JONES

general counsel is online now Registered User

We all want to believe in our heroes. The reality is that these guys put their pants on one leg at a time. The fact that mike jones can tackle doesnt mean he isnt capable of fraud. Lets hope that it isnt fraud, just negligent record keeping.

I will say this. His failure to appear for a court appearance is irresponsible at the minimum. He should take responsibility for whatever happened.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    This is a bigger sham than O.J.!
    Ripping off a charity to build a grocery store is worse than killing two people?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

damn big red you beat me to it!LOL

RealRam is offline Registered User

Typical tabloid gossip. :tut

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    Typical tabloid gossip. :tut
    Not necessarily. If it wasn't someone you knew of or liked, you would be more inclined to believe it's possible. You like him so you don't want to believe, but people commit fraud all the time it's not that uncommon. Time will tell if he's innocent or guilty, but not showing up for court is a bad sign.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

We met Mike Jones and he seemed to be a very nice man. He was very proud of his involvement with youth football and making a difference for the kids who did not have the best start in life.

He may have not handled the money correctly. It is hard to say what happened from here, but money has a way of disappearing if you are not watching it closely.

Bummer....:bored:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Ripping off a charity to build a grocery store is worse than killing two people?
    He was proven innocent....somehow.

general counsel is online now Registered User

OJ was NOT proven innocent. He was found not guilty which is a HUGE difference. All not guilty means is that the prosecution failed to meet its burden to prove that he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That does not mean the same thing as innocent. Note that in the civil trial, without the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt, he was found liable, meaning that the jury believed that he did it.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    OJ was NOT proven innocent. He was found not guilty which is a HUGE difference. All not guilty means is that the prosecution failed to meet its burden to prove that he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That does not mean the same thing as innocent. Note that in the civil trial, without the standard of beyond a reasonable doubt, he was found liable, meaning that the jury believed that he did it.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    My bad, but what I meant was he was free to go and not proven guilty.

RealRam is offline Registered User

RamsBruce, for the record, I did not mention whether it was -- or not -- possible that Jones had committed fraud.

I was simply referring to the nature of story, as in the Tabloid typy of reporting, where someone famous or, in this case highly regarded as being 'good', suddenly creates or continues one of those "Breaking News" due to a sensationalist story of wrongdoing.

That is to say, something that will exploit the true case to cause murmuring or scandal. :tut

I'd rather believe UtterBlitz' recalling of Mike Jones being a good man. And any good man can mishandle money. That is not "necessarily impossible".

I hope / trust that if he did in fact make that kind of mistake, it wasn't out of malice.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-27-2006 at 05:41 PM.

I would err on the side of caution with this "story"

I know Mike and he is a good man. But like some say and point out. Money has a way of disapearing, saddly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast