Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams a Surprise Team ??

By Mike Tanier
    (Mike Tanier is a Fifth Down contributor and co-author of Football Outsiders Almanac 2009)

Before we set out to write Football Outsiders Almanac, we analyze thousands of variables to create the most accurate preseason forecasts in the business. Sometimes, our computer models produce such off-the-wall predictions that we laugh out loud.

Take last year: The computers predicted that the 5-11 Ravens would bounce back from a bad season and go deep into the playoffs. We all had a hearty laugh about that one. We stopped laughing when the Ravens went 11-5 and reached the A.F.C. championship game.

Before the 2007 season, our models said the Packers would bounce back on the strength of — get this — a comeback season by Brett Favre. Another howler that just happened to come true.

Nowadays when the computer models produce a surprise team, we hold the chuckles and dig deeper into the data. Even when that surprise team is the Rams.

The Rams haven’t had a winning season since 2003. They have won five games in two years. All of the big names from their Super Bowl runs — Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Orlando Pace — have moved on or retired. Sure, the former Giants assistant Steve Spagnuolo has great potential as a head coach, but isn’t a Rams playoff prediction a little … ridiculous? Yet there it is, on Page 78 of the Football Outsiders Almanac: the Rams have a 48% of winning nine or more games, giving them almost even odds of becoming this year’s “miracle” team.

It turns out that Spagnuolo isn’t the only reason for optimism in St. Louis. Many statistical indicators suggest that the Rams are close to rising again. One is their fumble recovery percentage: the Rams forced 17 fumbles last year but recovered just five, a sign that with better luck and a dose of Spagnuolo’s coaching, their defense will create a few more turnovers.

The Rams were one of the worst teams in the league in red zone running, and it only takes a slight improvement in that area to make a big difference on the scoreboard. The Rams lost many of their starters to injuries in 2008 and can get better just by getting healthier.

One other major factor works in the Rams’ favor: their division. The Seahawks are rebuilding. The ***** haven’t had a winning season since 2002. The Cardinals won the conference, but they are no powerhouse. With a few slight improvements, the Rams could easily go 4-2 or 5-1 against the N.F.C. West. Those wins alone would give them their best record in three years!

5-1 in the juggernaut NFC West? .. What's this guy smoking? ... On second thought, I don't care what he's smoking, I just hope he's right!!

dpier1mc is offline Registered User

Re: Rams a Surprise Team ??

hope fa is right--- i just want to see a Sports Illstated cover with the recieving corps
    captioned "Who are these guys?"

A-Web is offline Registered User

Yeah, right AFTER the NFC West division title is awarded this way. I can completely picture the "Who woulda thought?" line right at the top, with the picture and that caption right on the cover.

Of course, you can always assume, that like every improvement in the NFL, there will be another picture of Bulger saying "Great comeback, or complete fluke?"

Mooselini is offline Registered User

We will be better than last year. Will be the NFC West champs? Who knows.

Week one is against an NFC West opponent. It's one of the hardest places to play. If we lose, I won't be shocked at all. But if we see a vast improvement from last season, I will be happy. This team will be coming out swinging for the fences. Our players will emphasize this philosophy and Spags will encourage it.

We will be a better team. But I'm not going out on a limb to say how much better we will be.

But a play off run would be quite nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

ramfan56 is offline Registered User

finally someone puts there foot down and says we have a shot.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

It's Karma
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramfan56 View Post
    finally someone puts there foot down and says we have a shot.

LMAO yeah too bad that foot came from a computer hahaha!!!!

i just dont see how you can call the NFC West a juggernaut division?!!?.. I think the writer of the article hit the nail on the head by saying the Cards are no powerhouse..matter of fact i think the team to worry about this year in our division is sf, not saying the cards wont be tough i just dont think theyre that great..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    i just dont see how you can call the NFC West a juggernaut division?!!?..
    How you ask? It was easy!! You can do it too. Just put your tongue against the inside of your cheek and type: NFC West j-u-g-g-e-r-n-a-u-t. See? It's that easy ..

ramfan56 is offline Registered User

that computer has more sense then most writers and so called "analyst"

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Is it possible? Of course! Is it probable? No, it's not likely. Will we be better than last year? Certainly. Will we be looked at at the end of the year as a team on the rise? Most definitely.

I bet we go somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-10, which will be a success in my book. Throw in a surprise game or two against the division and 8-8 wouldn't be out of the realm either. Whoever wins against the West will win the West. We might be the "weakest division", but we play it like it should be. Our winner will be whoever wins the division games.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Hey if Jackson can play to his potential and it is his potential not everybody elses potenial, then that would be a good strat. he is gonna have a monster at fullback blocking for his ass , so he better improve. Bulger(not my choice)can shake off the grass and focus on the new offense and get it down, then that is a plus. With this new coach and his defensive mind can get the most out of some really good talent, then this team is going to be fighting for the top spot in the NFC West.My concern is they have sunk back down to the doormat of the NFL. Sometimes that weighs too much on the shoulders of young players. And what about the receivers.....we have any that can run a good route so Bulger can get it to them?
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Whether it be by man or machine. Any and all positive predictions are appreciated and taken into consideration.

GO RAMS!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I don't know how many times I have to say it, but I think we have a talented football team with a coach who knows what he's doing. We are young, energetic and ready to move on and not dwell on the past. I think everyone, including Marc and Steven especially, they've been working hard and they are ready to win.

I think we have an underrated defensive line (plus the rotation I think is going to be solid, Spags knows what he's doing in that department), a young and eager offensive line with some new names and more depth, which killed us the past few years.

We also have a pretty good secondary, if you ask me. I know Tye Hill hasn't been playing but I think under the right coach(s) he'll succeed. He's a talented guy whether we like to believe that or not...

We have arguably the best running back in the game, he just needs some help and this year he's going to have a surplus of guys he can trust, including Karney, who was a key offseason acquisition. Our Wide Receivers may not be the best, but I think they are going to be quite underrated and I think Foster is going to shine this year along with Avery and Burton...

I'm not going to say we are going to be this fantastic football team but at the same time I don't think there's any reason as to why we can't compete for a playoff spot at the least. They are all NFL players, they are professional athletes, with the right coaching (if they believe in their system, which they seem to do) and right attitude we can excel. I'm excited.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ramer is offline Registered User

I think the Rams are going to surprise allot of teams this years. I think Spags is going to fire up this young teams.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I think Spags is in a Vermiel type citjo here. He has the players but they are all needing some direction.It will take his ideas a while to sink in.Maybe...........maybe not.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast