Chris58 is offline Registered User

Rams Tackles of Repute

A lot of ClanRam concern for a successful season this season is based on the health of Orlando Pace.

Orlando may be the greatest or most recognized Rams tackle of all time. As most all of you know, OP has been a Ram since his rookie season in 1997 when he was the first player taken in the draft. Op has played in 144 of 176 regular season games with 7 pro bowl selections and 3 All-Pro awards. He is the most dominant and decorated Rams tackle of all time.

And here are 7 more players that deserve recognition for their service as tackles in Rams uniforms. In selecting these players I used a couple of criteria; They needed to play in at least 100 games and/or receive NFL recognition for their on-field performance.

1. Joe Carollo- Joe played 8 seasons for the Rams from 1962-1968 and 1971. Joe played in 108 games. Joe received one Pro Bowl award as a Ram. He played another 4 years in the NFL two each with Philly and Cleveland.

2. Charley Cowan- Charley played his entire 15 year career with the Rams from 1961-1975. Charley played in 206 games. In his career he was a 3 time Pro Bowler. Charley's career spanned some of the worst and best Rams teams. He was part of the George Allen resurgence in 1966.

3. John Williams- John played 8 seasons for the Rams from 1972-79. He came to the Rams with 4 years experience. He played in 111 games with the Rams, starting 87. John gets props for being part of the first Rams SB team.

4. Doug France- Doug played for the Rams from 1975-1981. He started 74 of 97 games with the Rams. He was a 2 time Pro Bowler. Doug was the other half of the tackle tandem with Jackie Slater who started on that first SB team.

5. Jackie Slater- 20 years of service as a Rams tackle just scratches the service. Jackie started 211 of 259 games; easily the most games played by any Rams player. Jackie's playing years spanned from 1976 through 1995. He was a 7 time Pro Bowl selection. Jackie was a big part of the Rams successful run for the Superbowl in 1979.

6.Irv Pankey- Irv played 13 NFL seasons, 11 for the Rams from 1980-1990. Though Pankey was never recognized as a Pro Bowler, he was a solid performer starting 117 of 144 games over his 11 year career.

7. Bob Brown- I almost didn't include Bob in my list of outstanding Ram tackles because he played only 2 seasons with the Rams from 1969-1970. But in those two years he started 28 of 28 regular season games and was a 2 time All-Pro an 2 time Pro bowler in those two seasons with the Rams. Overall, Bob played 10 seasons in the NFL from 1964-1973 and was a 5 time All-Pro and 6 time Pro Bowl selection. Next to OP, Brown may have been the most dominant tackle to play for the Rams.

Who will be the next great Rams offensive tackle? Is he on our roster right now? Let's hope whomever he is, he emerges this season.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rams Tackles of Repute

Slater is still No. 1 in my book. Pace may have, in his best years, been a more dominant player than Jackie, but in longevity and consistency, Slater has the advantage.

Pankey was an underrated player.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Pankey was an underrated player.
    Indeed he was; I still can't believe that he didn't get a single Pro Bowl call-up.

Apart from Slater, Pankey and Pace, all of those listed by Chris58 were before my time; I'll have to do some research on them now!

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Slater is still No. 1 in my book. Pankey was an underrated player.
    Have to whole-heartedly agree with both points AV. Slater was/is Mr. Ram in my book and Pankey deserved recognition for his play.

rampower is offline Registered User

Slater is ram god to me. Totally.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?