Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Rams talk to Ken Zampese

STLtoday - Sports - Rams

Before he left for Los Angeles and the Rams' annual summit meeting, coach Scott Linehan met with Ken Zampese in St. Louis about the team’s offensive coordinator position.

According to league sources, Linehan also was scheduled to meet in St. Louis about the coordinator’s job with Chan Gailey, who was fired as Georgia Tech’s head coach after the ’07 season. But Gailey canceled. Whether Gailey remains in consideration in St. Louis is uncertain.

Zampese, 40, has been quarterbacks coach in Cincinnati the past five season, in which time QB Carson Palmer was named to two Pro Bowls and the Bengals’ developed into one of the league’s best passing teams.

Before that, Zampese was an assistant coach for Mike Martz and the Rams from 2000-2002. In St. Louis, Zampese was an offensive assistant in ’00, wide receivers coach in ’01, and passing game coach in ’02.

Team president John Shaw and president of football operations-general manager Jay Zygmunt are thought to hold Zampese in high regard. Zampese’s father, Ernie, is a former Rams assistant whom the Rams considered hiring as head coach in ’95 when the franchise moved to St. Louis.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Rams talk to Ken Zampese

Many have come and gone since '02, but I still like the fact that Zampese has had a history with these Rams players. Though he's an unknown product as a playcaller, I'm not sure we can attract many top-of-the-line offensive coordinator candidates around the league... so as far as inexperienced guys go, at this point he'd be at the top of my list.

Bulger relies on his timing and accuracy, while the biggest part of Bruce and Holt's game is running precise routes and developing their timing with the QB. One of the biggest struggles with this offense could very well have been due to misuse of players' skills - or, to put it another way, maximizing their best traits. Ken Zampese's system, if anything like his father's Air Coryell offense, would fit best with these players and could bring that aggressive spark back.

:l

-jake-
    Last edited by evil disco man; -01-16-2008 at 04:11 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Not great, but not bad. With a lame duck coach this might be the best we can do.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-16-2008 at 12:26 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    I'm not sure we can attract many top-of-the-line offensive coordinator candidates around the league.
    Agreed, even though we have some offensive talent, the whole Rams situation overall isn't exactly inviting.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

If he could become half the OC his dad was, he'd be a good edition.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Understanding the overall rebuilt process might not be what the doctor ordered at Rams Park. But given his name is a reminder of past success, it means we got probably limited options. His dad was awesome with Everett and Ellard. So he might just have what it takes to succeed.
    THE FIELD GOAL

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Great news.

Not from within the Linehan gang. This could be a big step in the right direction for Linehan as a coach. Maybe he's learnt from past mistakes?

We have a lot of talent here, and i think that if this is the guy who's helped Carson Palmer become one of the league's elites, then this could be a nice addition. I like the fact that he comes from inside the organisation, and we still have players from during his tenure. Bulger, Holt, Bruce, Pace, McCollum, Little, Wilkins and Tinoisamoa were all Rams during his tenure here. It's nice to already have a rep with the players. Perhaps what Linehan likes here is a guy who has had association with the players. Seeing as the new coach will be calling the plays, perhaps it's good to have a guy that the players know, and respect.

Whether they respect Linehan as a playcaller is an entirely different kettle of fish.

majorram is offline Registered User

I like this, atleast he has history with the Rams and the players and throw in that hes not one of Linehans friend... Yep I'm for that

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

RealRam is offline Registered User

Could fit in just fine with the Rams offense and improve it (Z-max).

...He probably doesn't smoke like his dad did.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Think Valero's ire might be up if a young guy like this gets the Coord position, when Valero has been saying he may be the O-coord in St. Louis?

Maybe his willingness to slam coaches he works with will come back to bite Scotty before it's all over.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

keep in mind when you make the comparasions with his father that it was a different time,different place with the Rams,but having said that I would like this choice as OC.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    Think Valero's ire might be up if a young guy like this gets the Coord position, when Valero has been saying he may be the O-coord in St. Louis?

Maybe his willingness to slam coaches he works with will come back to bite Scotty before it's all over.
    From what I've read so far, all signs point to him being the offensive line coach. My guess is that they didn't want to give him that official role until they could find someone more qualified to be the OC.

:l

-jake-

bruce4life is offline Registered User

ill take a young up and coming new o-coordinator ala mike martz from 99'... this move is scary when you compare it to where the Rams where before the 99 season when they hired Martz.

I SAY SCREW WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE, LETS DO IT

keith m. klink Guest

this is just the prelude too linehan getting the axe and the new coordinator takes over as interim HC . 2008 week 3 , after starting the 2008 season 0-2 and scoring only 1-FG . the rams have fired scott linehan and named ken zampese head coach . tra la la la la .

Tampa_Ram is online now Registered User

I think it would be a good move. with linehan being on the block not many big name OC's will want to come if they could be gone the next year. i say we take Zampese and give him a shot. if he sucks hes gone next year with linny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-16-2008, 04:12 PM