Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rams Talking to Saffold's Agents at Combine

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Rams Talking to Saffold's Agents at Combine

From Jim Thomas:

No contract offer yet for Saffold from Rams

9 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

INDIANAPOLIS • Saturday’s meeting between the Rams and representatives for free-agent offensive lineman Rodger Saffold came and went without a contract offer. But the Rams are expected to make one in the near future.
    Coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead both indicated at the NFL scouting combine that keeping Saffold in St. Louis is the top priority when it comes to re-signing the team’s free agents.

Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff took Saffold agents Alan Herman and Jared Fox out to dinner Saturday night in Indy for their meeting. By league rule, the Rams are the only team allowed to negotiate with Saffold until a three-day contact period begins March 8.

The actual free agency period starts March 11. That’s the first day outside teams can sign another team’s free agents.
    In the case of Saffold, it’s expected to go right down to the wire — in other words, March 11.

It’s clear already in league circles that several teams are interested in Saffold. At the end of the day, he will have options not only on what city he wants to play in, but also what position.

Ideally, Saffold would like to play either guard or left tackle, according to Herman. He’d rather not play right tackle.
    I think the most interesting part of this article is the report that Saffold would like to play LT or OG, but not RT.

In a sense, that's good news, as it might "scare away" potential bidders that viewed him as a RT prospect.

My hope is that he will be signed to a reasonable contract and made a full-time OG.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Talking to Saffold's Agents at Combine

I take this to mean he's playing the money game. By showing a preference for LT or OG he wants the best paid opportunities on the OL. If he accepts the RT spot, that lowers his price tag. As an OG he keeps himself in the game for a move to LT at some point as he's already played that position. It sounds like his agents are casting about for teams willing to"overpay", which I hope keeps the Rams away from making a bad deal. I too hope we can keep him, but not for more money than is best for the team.

Go Rams!

Randart is offline Registered User

I think it shows a good reality check by Roger he was horrendous at RT his foot work exposed constantly and he was all over the place. He did great at guard and ok at LT. But Fish as usual is correct he is best suited at guard where his power can be exploited to it's best effect and he just charges forward and engages no dance moves needed. LOL
    Just another good reason for us to draft one of these Offensive Tackles cause Roger should never have to go in at tackle again. Better for him and his team, whoever that team turns out to be. Nice of the Rams to name him the top priorety for the offseason as far as our free agents go. Showing Roger some love and respect might get the big fella to come around...
    RealRam likes this.

Mikey is online now Registered User

One more team in need now of a LT, with Jordan Gross retiring. The market for Saffold keeps expanding I read somewhere, I'll look for it again for a source, that six teams talked to his agents at the combine. If we sign him I just hope it's not for too much money.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    My hope is that he will be signed to a reasonable contract and made a full-time OG.
    Same here.

And who better to man the LT spot until Long is healthy. Saffold has proven himself at LT, and would be a great backup for Long. Add this to his pro-bowl caliber play at guard, and we realize how big of a piece this guy is to the OL's stability.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I would sign Saffold as a Guard, with a view that he can play LT if Long isn't back yet.
    But given the state of the line I wouldn't suggest that signing Saffold will make a difference when it comes to taking an OT In the first round. BUT It may lead the team to aim for one at #13 rather than at #2 overall
    bradwill and Randart like this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

I also hope we can sign him at G and to a good contract. If he signs, and with any team for that matter, I'm guessing it will be heavy with medical waivers and play time incentives/escalators.

Because with all FA signings your history matters and his is murky at best.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm skeptical that this will work out with Saffold returning. I don't see a reason for him to resign with the Rams without exploring his market, unless the Rams really pony up and offer him a big deal which I don't see happening. And if he hits the open market, I think another team which does value him as a left tackle will end up signing him. I hope I'm wrong and the front office finds a way to retain him at a reasonable cost, but I don't like the odds at this point.
    RebelYell and bradwill like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm skeptical that this will work out with Saffold returning. I don't see a reason for him to resign with the Rams without exploring his market, unless the Rams really pony up and offer him a big deal which I don't see happening. And if he hits the open market, I think another team which does value him as a left tackle will end up signing him. I hope I'm wrong and the front office finds a way to retain him at a reasonable cost, but I don't like the odds at this point.
    I'm with you. I see zero chance he signs w/o hitting the market, and I see very slim chance of him coming back. I think he wants to be a LT, and who could blame him. His problem is that he is only the 5th or 6th best OT on the market. But he may be the 2nd or 3rd best OG on the market.

If he comes to grip with his value as an OG, I feel there's a better chance he'll be back.
    bradwill likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Meanwhile, with the CBA change on the franchise tag, it actually stands to reason that the interior linemen will generally reach the open market because no one wants to pay their RG the same as an elite left tackle. We're seeing that in regards to the Alex Mack situation in Cleveland. To that end, it makes sense why Saffold is wanting to reach the market and is marketing himself as a LT, since those guys will get tagged.

Considering that Saffold still grades out as one of the top guys inside does maybe little to hurt him in regards to playing the market as an OG, giving him the leverage against Snead. We just have to hope that Snead holds fast to his positional budget. And put me still firmly in the camp for an OL heavy top of the draft.
    Randart likes this.
    I believe!

kman is offline Registered User

I think since that Snead and rams brass has made it so known they want him back, they will find a way to keep him
    live4ramin likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If I'm Saffold, I test the market at LT knowing full well I'll get massive bucks at RG if the interest doesn't develop at LT. As with any NFL player, this might be his last NFL contract, he's going to be looking for a massive guarantee. With his injury history in St Louis, I'm not sure Snead can commit to guarantees like a GM in another city can. Fans believe the "he's injury prone" mantra and that's a consideration for a GM's career path. Fans in another city discount the injuries.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I certainly don't blame Saffold for wishing to test the market, but he could overplay his hand if he takes too long and the Rams sign someone else.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

For whatever its worth Charlie Casserly said on this morning's NFL AM that Rodger Saffold could become a "household name" and very wealthy after March 11th.

Go Rams!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I certainly don't blame Saffold for wishing to test the market, but he could overplay his hand if he takes too long and the Rams sign someone else.
    I agree with this, he could test himself out of a high paying salary. I cannot remember which player it was, and I am sure it has happened to several in the past, but I remember a player holding out and getting his offer rescinded. He then had to sign for close to the vet minimum with another team.

gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast