Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Rams talks breaking down with McDaniels

Chris Mortensen has posted the following tweets:

Filed to ESPN: Rams' talks breaking down w McDaniels; Rams seek permission to talk to Falcons' Bill Musgrave & Vikings' Darrell Bevell
    Also filed to ESPN: Musgrave interviewing with Browns and Vikings over next 2 days for OC jobs; Bevell still in Vikes picture
    The Rams this morning were denied permission by the Jaguars to speak with OC Dirk Koetter

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Rams talks breaking down with McDaniels

oh dear, here we go..brace yourself guys some folks are gonna go ape over this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I'd be careful before reading too much into this. This could be the Rams playing a hand. Before all this the only other candidate we had heard of was Chilldress. Maybe McD was asking for too much since he thought he was the only viable candidate the Rams were trying to interview. This could be just to knock down his asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I'd be careful before reading too much into this. This could be the Rams playing a hand. Before all this the only other candidate we had heard of was Chilldress. Maybe McD was asking for too much since he thought he was the only viable candidate the Rams were trying to interview. This could be just to knock down his asking price.
    yeah you could be right Tomahawk..what you say is a reasonable suggestion. the trouble is i don`t see every member of the fanbase as being reasonable.

i`ve no great emotion for any candidate so i`ll just let the seasoned veteran NFL guys like Spags and Billy D do the job of finding a suitable OC and give the Rams my support.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Hmmmm.. Interesting.

By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN

While former Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels was the leading candidate as the next offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams, a significant snag in negotiations has led the team to broaden its search to include coaches with West Coast-system roots in which quarterback Sam Bradford excelled during his rookie season, according to sources.

The Rams went through league channels Tuesday morning to request interviews with coaches including Bill Musgrave of the Falcons and Darrell Bevell of the Vikings. Musgrave is the assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach in Atlanta and Bevell has been in limbo as the offensive coordinator in Minnesota.

The Rams were denied permission to speak with Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, who is under contract through 2011.

Bevell, whose status in Minnesota is in limbo while coach Leslie Frazier looks at offensive coordinator candidates, is interviewing Tuesday for the Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks coach job, a source told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll is looking to replace quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch, who is leaving the team to become offensive coordinator at the University of Miami.

Musgrave is scheduled to interview with the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday and Vikings on Wednesday for the offensive coordinator position. Bevell is still a candidate to retain the job in Minnesota.

McDaniels appeared poised to replace Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, who was hired as the Browns' new head coach. However, more than two days of talks did not produce a deal between the Rams and McDaniels, a surprising development that may have been derailed by the team's conservative fiscal approach, one source said. The talks could be revived but neither side appears optimistic.

McDaniels also is in conversation with other unidentified teams, according to another source.

The Falcons value Musgrave and view him as the potential successor to offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey, who is considered a future head-coaching candidate. However, a team source said Falcons coach Mike Smith reluctantly granted permission for Musgrave to interview with the Browns and Vikings, although there was no guarantee Musgrave would accept those jobs even if offered a promotion.

The Rams, however, hold an attraction to quality coordinator candidates because of Bradford, who is expected to be named the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year.
    Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst. ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton contributed to this report.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -01-18-2011 at 01:18 PM.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Josh Mcdaniels is a punk and I am not a fan. I could see his demeanor clashing with spags. The guy ran his franchise qb and wr outta Denver.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Varg6 is offline Registered User

From what I understand, it's because McDaniels wants more money. If that's the case, and if we truly want him as the OC, why can't we just pay the guy? We have a new owner, I don't understand the conservative and cheap approach. To lose out on this guy because we don't want to pay him a little more than what we originally wanted would be ridiculous. What a shame.

This is why I'm mad: Say the Rams figure this guy would be great for our offense, and of course Sam, it's like the organization is saying Sam Bradford and the offense isn't worth the investment for a great OC. That's, of course, hypothetically speaking (if we don't hire him).
    Last edited by Varg6; -01-18-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

All I know is if the offense on the field is worse next year we wont win very many games at all.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Look McDaniels isn't the be all end all. If he wants the opportunity to coach an up and coming Superstar then let him swallow some pride and money. My first response is " NEXT"!

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Exactly!! We have as much if not more to offer him as he has to offer us. This would be the best place for him to succeed and have the opportunity to one day be a HC again, if the $ signs are clouding his vision about this then we don't need him anyway. Al Davis is hiring!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    From what I understand, it's because McDaniels wants more money. If that's the case, and if we truly want him as the OC, why can't we just pay the guy? We have a new owner, I don't understand the conservative and cheap approach. To lose out on this guy because we don't want to pay him a little more than what we originally wanted would be ridiculous. What a shame.

This is why I'm mad: Say the Rams figure this guy would be great for our offense, and of course Sam, it's like the organization is saying Sam Bradford and the offense isn't worth the investment for a great OC. That's, of course, hypothetically speaking (if we don't hire him).
    So the Rams should just pay whatever McDaniels wants? Let's say he waltzed in and said "You know Spags Salary? Double it, I'm that good" doubtful, but you get the picture. You can't just pay an OC whatever you want, they don't count against the cap, but they sure do count against your total budget.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Look McDaniels isn't the be all end all. If he wants the opportunity to coach an up and coming Superstar then let him swallow some pride and money. My first response is " NEXT"!
    Exactly, if he thinks Bradford can help launch him to another head coaching gig, then take a little less money for the next 3 years to prove it.

if it`s over money then i would want to know how much he wants before making any judgements.

i do wonder if he`s perhaps looked at the kind of contract Garrett had as OC for the Cowboys tho and thinks he can get the same...it`s worth remembering tho that it`s not only players who have agents..coaches do too.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

it`s worth remembering tho that it`s not only players who have agents..coaches do too.
    agents are the DEVIL ... always sticking sticks in tyre spokes, outrageous fiscal demands. I feel for those ga-zillionare owners ...

owners start rich, players get rich, agents get richer, seems like we the only people not getting jack is armchair guru's such as ourselves.

If McDaniels is the best option, they will get it sorted, doesnt hurt to shop around, i like Mularky myself.

my message to MCD "Sorry you came from a job that earned you millions to a job that earned you ....... ... ... ... MILLIONS, are you on crack like the real Ronald Mc D, sign the contract you smuck .... all the best, rams fans"

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

It's over for McDaniels and the Rams. He's heading to Seattle. They have been talking to him since Monday, and they just fired Bates ....

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    It's over for McDaniels and the Rams. He's heading to Seattle. They have been talking to him since Monday, and they just fired Bates ....
    Funny, just saw the firing as well and thought that they did it just to snag someone away from division rivals ... i thoughts now are " you can have Whitehurst & Matt "you cant teach an old dog new tricks" Hasselbeck."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast