Rams - A Team of Firsts

The long history of the Rams is rich with firsts. Among them are:

The first professional sports team to move West of the Mississippi
    The first NFL team in the post-WWII era to employ black players
    The first to use an insignia or logo on the helmet
    The first to play before one million spectators in a season
    Participated in the first game to use sudden-death in overtime
    The first to employ a full-time scouting staff
    The first to employ a full-time special teams coach (Dick Vermeil - 1969)
    The first to regularly televise away games
    First team to have a player selected to 14 consecutive Pro-Bowl appearances (Merlin Olsen)
    The first team to win seven consecutive division titles (1973-79)
    The first team with more than six defeats to play in the Super Bowl (1979 record: 9-7)
    The first NFL team to move back East
    The first NFL team to loose all 8 divisional games one year, then win all 8 divisional games the next.
    The first franchise to win a NFL championship in 3 different cities (Cleveland 1945; Los Angeles 1951; St. Louis 1999)

The Spartan General-King Leonidas shouted "Molon Labe" to the Persian King Xerxes, when Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, and his people if they would lay down their arms. The phrase literally means, "Come and get them"... At the time, the Persian army outnumbered the Spartans 600,000 to 300, or 2,000-1.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    i have to question the first sudden death overtime game....I believe that was between the Colts and Giants in 1957(?)...the one where Alan Ameche scored on a one yard run, they show it on ESPN all the time.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Atlas is offline Registered User
    Bristol Tennessee, but I wish I were in Germany.

Re: Rams - A Team of Firsts

Originally posted by RAMble On
    The first NFL team to move back East.

The first NFL team to loose all 8 divisional games one year, then win all 8 divisional games the next.
    On the first, you didn't really move that far east....

On the second, your stretching a bit, aren't you?
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious."

{Vince Lombardi}

RAMble On is offline Registered User
    Here is the link and the article regarding the sudden death overtime game:

http://www.profootballhof.com/histor...s/overtime.cfm

Many football fans regard the 1958 NFL Championship Game as the first overtime game in NFL history. Indeed it was the first playoff overtime game, but it was not the first-ever. That occurred three years earlier on August 28, 1955 in a pre-season game between the Los Angeles Rams and the New York Giants.

The two big city teams played at Multnomah Stadium in Portland, Oregon in front of 22,222 onlookers. Led by the likes of Charley Conerly and Hall of Famer Frank Gifford, the Giants scored twice in the first quarter to take a 10-0 lead. Tank Younger of the Rams scored on a five-yard run in the second quarter to make the score 10-7 at halftime.
    Los Angeles scored twice in the third quarter to take a 17-10 lead, but it wasn't until the middle of the fourth quarter that New York got back on the board. Alex Webster provided a three-yard touchdown scamper to knot the game at 17-17.

The final gun sounded and neither team had scored thus thrusting the game, and the NFL, into overtime for the first time. The match would not have gone into overtime if it hadn't been for the game's promoter Harry Glickman. On a whim, he asked for the league's permission for overtime should the occasion arise. Needless to say, he could not have been luckier.

The sudden-death period, however, did not last very long. The Rams won the toss and, guided by Hall of Fame quarterback Norm Van Brocklin, constructed an 8-play, 70-yard drive that culminated with a two-yard TD plunge by Younger just three minutes and 28 seconds into the extended play.

The game was not witnessed by many people since it was not televised. None-the-less, the bout laid the foundation for the NFL to adopt the overtime rule for regular season games, finally being approved in 1974.

As a side note, another innovation was incorporated during this game. The field yardlines were marked from zero to 100 instead of the traditional goal lines to the 50. Not surprisingly, this trend never caught on.

It's great to be a fan of a team with that much history.
    The Spartan General-King Leonidas shouted "Molon Labe" to the Persian King Xerxes, when Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, and his people if they would lay down their arms. The phrase literally means, "Come and get them"... At the time, the Persian army outnumbered the Spartans 600,000 to 300, or 2,000-1.

For entertainment purposes only Atlas

Atlas is offline Registered User
    Bristol Tennessee, but I wish I were in Germany.
    Ahhhh.....I wish I could name all the first by the Titans. :upset: Unfortunately, I was never an Oilers fan and only started liking them when they moved to my home state of Tennessee. I don't even really consider them the Oilers anymore. I hate it when people say Oilers/Titans.
    Last edited by Atlas; -10-31-2001 at 09:07 PM.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle... victorious."

{Vince Lombardi}

Mike is offline Registered User
    The crucial question is whether they have to move again to win their fourth championship .

<mike

Not a chance Mike.

I think there will be 3 or 4 more championship wins in this DECADE

Mike is offline Registered User
    I certainly hope so. The talent is clearly there, but the talent has
    been there before but the championships didn't follow. For instance,
    Deacon Jones not having a championship ring is a bigger injustice than
    Dan Marino not having one.
    <mike