Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Which Rams team is the greatest of all time?

I've only been a Rams fan since they moved to St. Louis, so I have not followed the team as long as some of you guys & girls. I suffered from 95-98, but have been privileged to bask in the glory of 99-03 (with the speed bump of '02). I think I have seen some of the greatest Ram teams of all time just in the past 5 years, but I am curious what everyone else thinks. What is the greatest Rams team of all time? Now it will be easy to say '99, because of the SB win, but really looking at the team as a whole not just one game, which team was the greatest?

I eagerly await all views.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Which Rams team is the greatest of all time?

Hands down the 2001 team.

The best team to never win a Super Bowl---THANKS TO THE CHEATERS!!

RAMS134 is offline Registered User

All the RAMS team are the best. Never a bad team, bad coaching calls.

general counsel Guest

In my opinion, the 2001 team was one of the 5 most dominant teams in the history of the nfl. Had it not been for the superbowl debacle, that team would have gone down as one of the greatest of all time. That team was the best in the nfl from week one through the end, until we blew it in the superbowl.

I view the 2001 as the flip side of the 1985 bears, another incredibly dominant team and one of the greatest ever (the most dominant defensive team i ever saw). The 2001 rams were unstoppable offensively. Our red zone production was incredible. they could only stop themselves (or via the cheating in the superbowl). They were adequate on defense and really did not even play very many close games. We were ahead big so early and so often that the defense was able to play with limited options available to the offense. The defense did a pretty good job keeping teams out of the end zone and no one could trade fg's for td's with us. This really helped us against the run. Its hard for teams to rely much on the run when they are down 14-0 halfway through the first quarter and 21-3 in the second.

I will never get over the loss to the patriots in the superbowl. Onward and upward, but the pain that caused me as a fan will hopefully never be repeated.

One other point. The steel curtain defenses of the mid to late 70's get all the publicity. But i will tell you that the ram defenses of that era were just as good if not better. We had dominant running games but very limited ability to throw the ball and as a result lost (i believe) 7 nfc championship games in 9 years before finally getting in once in 1979. I can not single out a specific team for you from that era, but it seemed like we were always just a bit short of either the cowboys or vikings in the title game. People forget that we were ahead of the steelers in the 4th quarter of the 1980 superbowl and one long bomb from bradshaw that our db missed by inches completely changed the game and the steelers went on to win. That was a great rams team.

The second championship team (1950 i believe) featuring waterfield and hirsch was a dominant team in its day, but i dont know if any of us actually saw them play.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMS FAN
    All the RAMS team are the best. Never a bad team, bad coaching calls.
    1962 LA Rams 1-12-1
    1982 LA Rams 2-7 (strike year)
    1991 LA Rams 3-13
    1998 St. L Rams 4-12
    That's an awful lot of bad coaching.

On a brighter note, has anyone noted how well we do in years that end in "9"?
    For example:
    1969 LA Rams 11-3
    1979 LA Rams 9-7 NFC Champs
    1989 LA Rams 11-5
    1999 St.L Rams 13-3 SB Champs
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Smile Re: Which Rams team is the greatest of all time?

Hard to say what was the greatest Rams team. Take your pick between the 73,74,75,76,77,78,79 teams. The 74 or 75 teams being the highlight, both of those teams were very good and should have played in the SuperBowl. Hard not to give the 76 team some props as well. The 70s were definately the most gut wrenching years to be a Rams fan. The Rams had great teams every year and my hopes would grow as the season progressed. The Rams would win the division and march into the playoffs, then, just like the year before, another heartbreaking loss, to the vikings or the cowboys, on the way to the SuperBowl. Many Rams fans around here depise the whiners, with good reason, but in those days, the hated teams were the cowboys and vikings. I spent many of those years going through pubertity and I can tell you it was a breeze compared to the agony of being a Rams fan.

As far as the 2001 team being the best ever, I would say the 1999 team was better. There is something special about winning the SB and our own Rams history proves that it was never that easy to do.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    As far as the 2001 team being the best ever, I would say the 1999 team was better. There is something special about winning the SB and our own Rams history proves that it was never that easy to do.
    The best team doesn't always win, though. I wouldn't rank the '99 team higher than the '01 on the mere fact that the former won the Super Bowl while the latter could not.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    The best team doesn't always win, though. I wouldn't rank the '99 team higher than the '01 on the mere fact that the former won the Super Bowl while the latter could not.
    Well you can rank it however you like, but the best team on SuperBowl Sunday always wins the game.

Well you can rank it however you like, but the best team on SuperBowl Sunday always wins the game.
    The beauty of the NFL nowadays is the parity of the league -- any team can win on any given Sunday. Yes, the best team on SBS always wins because they're the better team on that day. Are they always the better team overall? I doubt it.

Again, the better team doesn't always win in my opinion. They even have a term for when that happens: an upset.

Wink Re: Which Rams team is the greatest of all time?

An upset is only so because of an assumption. One team was perceived to be better and they were favored to win the game. When it comes to the final game all that matters is the moment. Does the opponent deserve to be there and have a chance to prove who is the better team? Is there nothing to be said for perseverance during the final game of the year? Where is the sportmanship and the grace in winning and losing? Would you like it if someone took away from the Rams SB 34 victory by saying the best overall team did not win?

Bob L. Head Guest

For me, I say the '75 Rams. They sure seemed unstoppable to an eleven year-old kid. The defense was just amazing. When they lost to the Cowgirls that year it was like I had lost a brother.

An upset is only so because of an assumption. One team was perceived to be better and they were favored to win the game. When it comes to the final game all that matters is the moment. Does the opponent deserve to be there and have a chance to prove who is the better team? Is there nothing to be said for perseverance during the final game of the year? Where is the sportmanship and the grace in winning and losing? Would you like it if someone took away from the Rams SB 34 victory by saying the best overall team did not win?
    It wouldn't matter to me, because ultimately, we won the game. If someone told me the Titans were the better team, that would actually make me feel better because the Rams would have defeated a harder opponent.

Honestly, if you're telling me that every team who wins is always a better team than their opponent, I completely disagree with that. Look at SB36. I feel the Rams were the better team but didn't play as well as the Pats, who upset them. These kind of things happen.

Smile Re: Which Rams team is the greatest of all time?

Nick, I will say that I have struggled with your same thoughts, for years, while being an avid fan and participating in many team sports. This is just my opinion and I have not come by it lightly, but please, simply take it as my opinion.

I do tend to agree with you that not all teams lose to a better team during the regular season. However, it is my belief that it takes a very good team to survive the regular season and progress through the playoffs and into the championship or the do or die game. To me, there is something to be said for a team that finds a way to win when everything is on the line. I strongly feel that the better team, knowing there is no tommorrow, seizes the moment and rises up to capture the crown. I have also had personal experience from both sides of this spectrum in a do or die game. It may have took some time to sink in on the losing end of the spectrum, but it did eventually sink in, that the better team won, when everything was on the line.

I understand that my opinion is a difficult concept to grasp and certainly one that can be argued by you and many others. However, as I said, I have not come to my opinion lightly and I don't expect it to change. This doesn't mean that I consider myself to be right, rather, it is simply what I believe.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Its BULLSH** is what is. The Pats frikking cheated, and they have cheated for 2 years after that. They are finally being called on the carpet this season, so we shall see how good they really are defensively.

IT'S A BUSH DEAL!!!! WE WERE ROBBED!! Re-watch the game. The tapes say it all. Holding, tackling, tripping and grasping out receivers and backs. They did the same thing through the playoffs this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    It wouldn't matter to me, because ultimately, we won the game. If someone told me the Titans were the better team, that would actually make me feel better because the Rams would have defeated a harder opponent.

Honestly, if you're telling me that every team who wins is always a better team than their opponent, I completely disagree with that. Look at SB36. I feel the Rams were the better team but didn't play as well as the Pats, who upset them. These kind of things happen.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree with you Ferter, the team that finds a way to win when it is all on the line in crunch time has to be considered the best team by the simple fact that after all is said and done, they are the last ones standing.

Case in point, this years NBA playoffs. The Lakers were overwelming favorites, expected to take Detroit apart with their superior talent and ability. Problem was, it didn't happen. Despite having a Hall of Fame line-up, a better season record, and a coach about to break the all-time NBA record for most Championships, they ended up getting beat by a better team.

For these reasons, the 1999 Super Bowl Champions are the greatest Ram team. IMO.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast