Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams | Team offers Faneca a contract

Rams | Team offers Faneca a contract
    Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:38:57 -0800

Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports the St. Louis Rams have offered a contract to unrestricted free-agent OG Alan Faneca (Steelers). Faneca is expected to make a decision Sunday, March 2.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams | Team offers Faneca a contract

What else is new? We were too late...

The New York Jets and guard Alan Faneca have tentatively agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal that includes roughly $23 million in guarantees, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. Faneca is expected to travel to New York this weekend, when the deal will be finalized. The Jets plan to play Faneca at left guard.

Faneca

The departure of Faneca, a former LSU standout who had spent his entire 10-year career with the Pittsburgh Steelers, isn't much of a surprise. Although he was an unrestricted free agent, the seven-time Pro Bowler was clearly irked with the team heading into last season for its refusal to trade him or give him a contract extension he felt he was worth.

Guards such as Eric Steinbach, Derrick Dockery, Leonard Davis and Kris Dielman all signed new contracts last spring, either as free agents with new teams or extensions with their incumbent franchises, and all received deals worth about $7 million per year. Only Dielman, who was a Pro Bowl alternate last season, has ever appeared in a Pro Bowl game.

Faneca said last spring that the Steelers' only offer to him wouldn't have made him one of the NFL's 10 highest-paid guards. He made $4.375 million last season in the final year of a $25.6 million deal he signed in 2002, but that deal was renegotiated to help the Steelers get under the salary cap.

He said last spring he would like to be traded but was resigned with staying with Pittsburgh for a final season. He skipped the Steelers' organized team activities practices in May, but did show up on time for the team's training camp.

"I've been asking since February to trade me, to let me go," Faneca said. "I've done my piece. I've done my time. I've done everything I can for this organization. I've lived and breathed Steeler football for nine years and gave them everything I've had and helped them win a Super Bowl. In my mind, I've earned the right to be treated fairly."

Faneca's criticism was virtually unprecedented for a Steelers player so accomplished -- only a handful of players in team history have made All-Pro more than he has.

The Steelers usually re-sign their key players and, thanks greatly to player-friendly owner Dan Rooney, have long been considered the NFL's model franchise for handling players.

That these barbed remarks came from Faneca, an accessible but almost never outspoken player, made his pointed comments all the more surprising. Faneca was worried that, if he sustained a career-ending injury, he would have no contract protection beyond 2007.

"To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.

In New York, Faneca will join a talented offensive line that includes left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold as the Jets try to boost an offense that ranked 26th in the NFL last year in yards per game (294.7) and 19th in rushing yards per game (106.3).

Information from ESPN's Michael Smith and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

chipperjones is offline Registered User

I've heard he's probably about to be a Jet, but Im glade to know we are trying, and we know we need some O-Linemen. Also, where do you get this news? I know it says "Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, but did you get this from another site or what. I like to get caught up on my news too.

Ramer is offline Registered User

Bummer! That would have been a good signing for the Rams.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

typical. scott linehan is probably hung over which is why we are in no hurry to do anything

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    I've heard he's probably about to be a Jet, but Im glade to know we are trying, and we know we need some O-Linemen. Also, where do you get this news? I know it says "Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, but did you get this from another site or what. I like to get caught up on my news too.
    Try rotoworld.com or kffl.com ... good sites for info regarding FA.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

He's already a jet...

Jets signed Alan Faneca to a four-year, $32 million contract. The deal includes $23 million in guarantees.

hoosierdaddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chipperjones View Post
    KFFL - St. Louis Rams News and Notes

and it's not finalized with the Jets yet, so anything could still happen.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    What else is new? We were too late...

The New York Jets and guard Alan Faneca have tentatively agreed to a four-year, $32 million deal that includes roughly $23 million in guarantees, ESPN's Michael Smith reports. Faneca is expected to travel to New York this weekend, when the deal will be finalized. The Jets plan to play Faneca at left guard.

Faneca

"To make me go out there this year and play football with no security, just to go out there and play football, for what I've done for this organization, in my mind, it's not right," he said.

AWWWWW! Poor baby! Gee I guess playing a kids game and making over $4 million is just insulting and not a very secure feeling. Chriminy. He'll make more money in one year than I'll make in two lifetimes. This kind of drivel out of athlete's mouths make me sick. Glad we missed out on mister insecure.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Thanks guys!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Faneca isn't a Jet yet

Just called Faneca's agent about the report on ESPN that the Pro Bowl guard has "tentatively agreed" to a deal with the Jets. Here's how the conversation went.
    Me: "Hi Rick. Tom Rock from Newsday."
    Rick Smith: "False report. It's a false report."
    Didn't even get to ask my question. How did he know I wasn't calling to ask if he'd seen that crazy Michigan women's hoops coach.
    Anyway, Smith says we're still on the same timeline as we were earlier today with a decision porbably coming Saturday evening. That doesn't mean the report won't turn out to be true. It just means that it's not totally true yet.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

there is still hope we will get him!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Hope you're right beast.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets.

"False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said. ESPN's website reported the two sides agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract. It appears Faneca is still weighing offers. He could easily wind up with the Jets, but there's no deal yet.
    Source: Newsday

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-29-2008, 09:16 PM