RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Team Report

5/7/2006

By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

An analytical look at the team heading into summer workouts.
    PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The results of draft day was a vote of confidence for DE Anthony Hargrove and DT Jimmy Kennedy, but should be cause for concern for CBs Travis Fisher and DeJuan Groce. Not only did the Rams pass on DT Brodrick Bunkley, but also the top two edge rushers in the draft, DE Kamerion Wimbley and DE/LB Manny Lawson. That means the Rams are depending on Kennedy and Hargrove to deliver -- and play plenty of minutes -- in 2006. At the moment, the Rams have no proven backup to Kennedy at nose tackle, although they are working on a couple of alternatives. The burly Bunkley would have been a great complement. Third-round draft pick Claude Wroten isn't a nose tackle; he will back up La'roi Glover. Meanwhile, the Rams failed to draft anyone to push Hargrove at right end, meaning they will sink or swim with him at the position. The only DE taken in the draft, fourth-rounder Victor Adeyanju, will back up Leonard Little at left end. . . .

At cornerback, the selection of Clemson's Tye Hill in the first round wasn't welcome news for Fisher or Groce. It's quite possible that the starting corners on opening day will be Jerametrius Butler, and free-agent pickup Fakhir Brown, with Hill getting his feet wet in the NFL as the nickel back. That would leave both Fisher and Groce without much of a role -- if any -- in the secondary. Fisher and Groce can both become unrestricted free agents after next season, and it's not out of the realm of possibility that one of them could be cut in the preseason, if youngsters such as Ron Bartell and Dwight Anderson continue to develop.

SCOUTING REPORT: SS Corey Chavous is being counted on to serve as the quarterback of the back seven, which is no mean feat considering the Rams figure to have at least five new starters at the linebacker and defensive back positions. Getting lined up right will be have the battle in coordinator Jim Haslett's new defensive system. Chavous has the smarts and the leadership skills to help the defense jell. He is a solid, all-around player, who won't make the occasional big hits of his predecessor, Adam Archuleta, but will make fewer mistakes. Chavous is a sure tackler. He's also a good ballhawk, who's coverage skills should make tight ends less of a threat as they've been in recent years against St. Louis.

HONING THEIR GAMES: If QB Marc Bulger doesn't understand the offense, nobody else will either. Since reporting for offseason conditioning, Bulger's major concern has been learning the terminology of the Scott Linehan offense. He has only known the Mike Martz system as an NFL player, save for very brief stints with New Orleans and Atlanta earlier in his career. In consultation with several Rams veterans, Linehan has decided to keep some of the terminology of the old offense -- "co-mingling" he calls it. But Bulger says there has been some confusion because occasionally he will run into a word that means one thing under the Linehan system, but meant something entirely different under Martz. Bulger has two more minicamps, OTAs, and training camp to work out the bugs.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES ANALYSIS: GRADE: B-minus. La'Roi Glover will provide leadership, but must show he still has the quickness at age 32 to thrive in the "3-technique" spot. Jimmy Kennedy has all the tools to be an effective nose tackle.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Team Report

Good Post, I hope Bulger learns the system, im sure he will with the help of ferotte. I was hoping that the D-line people we drafted would play on the oppitsite side of little and glover, but Wroten isnt a NT and Adeyanju is a LDE like Little..... and Brown and Butler will be a great starting CB duo and Hill will dominate in Nickelback formation and Hill will hopefully become a starting CB in a least a year

majorram is offline Registered User

well its all upto Hargrove this season at that end position.sink or swim time... I still think that the Rams will sign DT fisk to the mix...

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

rockisland-ram is offline Registered User

Good post! I agree with all, I am VERY optimistic about the upcoming season. New Rams, new blood calling the plays, and a bunch of youngsters that got thrown to the dogs last year should have something to show this year. I also want to add that this is my first post, and its great to be here. I used to watch a different board (they wouldnt accept my email address, so I couldnt participate) and to see a message board that is 100% RAMS FOOTBALL TALK?!?!?!? No negativity, no cry babies, no band wagon fans (I've been a fan since I was 9 years old, 1980, Vince Ferragamo was my hero for years). I look forward to posting early and often.

Go Rams!!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I find it hard to believe that the Rams have already decided that Adeyanju will solely back up Little. My guess is that the depth chart reads this way, as Brandon Green is currently Hargrove's backup, but somehow I doubt anything is final before the rookies even have a mini-camp under their belts.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

you have to find a spot on the field for bartell though... the games he did play last year he showed promise of great things to come... i wouldnt mind him playing FS with OJ at all because he played that position in college correct???

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

We are a lot of holes on our D line depth chart. This could be a scary year.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

As Secretary of ClanRam defense, I hereby acknowledge that only these people have starting positions and the rest are up for grabs:

Kennedy
    Little
    Witherspoon
    Pisa
    Butler...

Everyone else will earn them.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

id add Chavous to that list too!