RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Team Report

January 21, 2007

Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS:RB Steven Jackson proved his durability, with 436 touches, missing only part of one game (December 11 against Chicago) with leg cramps. But Jackson's yeomen work only masked the team's need for a No. 2 running back. At this stage of his career, and with past knee problems, Stephen Davis is probably good for only 10 touches a game. Should something happen to Jackson, it's no sure thing that Davis could handled the load for three or four games. Tony Fisher, the team's No. 3 RB, spent much of the year on Injured Reserve with a knee injury. So even though Jackson is young in his career, it wouldn't be surprising to see the Rams draft a back or look for a modest-priced pickup in free agency. Coach Scott Linehan seems to prefer big backs, but a change of pace speed back who can catch the ball out of the backfield, and return kicks would seem to be ideal. . . .

CB Jerametrius Butler, who spent the year in the doghouse and rarely played, did not accompany the team back from its season-ending game in Minnesota and has yet to speak with Linehan. (Linehan has tried to speak with each player on the '06 team individually since the end of the season.) Butler established a reputation as a good cover corner as a starter in the 2003 and '04 season, but missed the entire '05 season with a knee injury. But he isn't the most physical corner around, and that was a factor in the team signing ex-Saint Fakhir Brown, who played pretty well.

SCOUTING REPORT: After waiting a couple of years to get a chance to start an NFL game, former Miami (Fla.) standout C Brett Romberg made the most of three last-season starts. He showed enough in victories over Oakland, Washington, and Minnesota that the Rams feel he can be at worst a middle-of-the-pack starter among the 32 starting centers in the league. Romberg doesn't have ideal height or wing span. But he's smart, technically sound, and makes good use of leverage. He was able to knock the rust off quickly. Romberg will at least be given the chance to compete for a starting job. His competition remains to be seen, although veteran C Andy McCollum could return after suffering a season-ending knee injury in the 2006 season opener.

SPECIAL PROJECT: Practically from the day he was draft, rookie TE Joe Klopfenstein was thrown into the starting role. He came into the NFL known as more of a pass catcher, but was expected to do plenty of blocking in Linehan's offense. Klopfenstein was a willing blocker, but had several tough moments, particularly when it came to taking on bigger defensive ends and linebackers. Klopfenstein needs a full offseason in the weight room to improve both his upper body strength and his leg strength for drive blocking. He can add some bulk on his still lanky 6-5 frame. As a pass catcher, Klopfenstein needs to be a little less mechanical, and quicker in and out of his breaks.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Team Report

No mention of Marshall Faulk? Oh Oh!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Uhh, that was the most pathetic team report in awhile. How boring is the off-season, honestly!?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hmm, I thought we had the center position settled with Romberg being the best prospect and Incognito playing guard. I didn't think we'd now be questioning Romberg's hight and wing span. It may not be "ideal" but more than sufficient I think.

He's 6-2, 300 lbs. and did a decent job in a makeshift, dire-need arrangement for the Rams OL. I'd like to see him as starter and McCollum for depth.

maineram is offline Registered User

I agree with RealRam. He jumped in due to need, played pretty darn good for just being picked up off a practice squad, and not having gone through the Rams offseason program & training camp. Upgrading any position if possible is Linehans job, but I believe Romberg is right there in the mix for next year.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think Romberg, Setterstrom, and Cog all did a fine job toward the end of the season. So Romberg dose not have the ideal wing span or size, so what; consistency and having a cohesive line are more important. There are lots of teams(IE, Denver) who have undersized lines yet get the most out of them.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    No mention of Marshall Faulk? Oh Oh!
    Marshall is not going anywhere. I've heard him say tho the Post that if it came between retirement or leaving STL, he would retire.
    :l

Yodude is offline Registered User

I think Romberg, Setterstrom, and Cog all did a fine job toward the end of the season. So Romberg dose not have the ideal wing span or size, so what; consistency and having a cohesive line are more important. There are lots of teams(IE, Denver) who have undersized lines yet get the most out of them.
    Yup....and, I seem to recall a certain MLB named Fletcher, who, at 5'10" would certainly have been considered less than "ideal size" for his position.

I seem to recall him having a pretty good career as a Ram. We're still trying to find his replacement.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Keenum is offline Registered User

I liked how our young linemen looked at the end of the year. If Pace had stayed healthy, we have have really had something going! I wonder if Timmreman will come back next year? I still think he's got some left in him.

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

Question Re: Rams Team Report

Does anyone know what happened to Palmer .... the other 7th rounder from last year ? he was on the practice squad , and was picked up by another team ??? Is he still with them ?
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Daspeerman View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Palmer .... the other 7th rounder from last year ? he was on the practice squad , and was picked up by another team ??? Is he still with them ?
    I believe he signed a three year deal with the Packers so it's up to them.