RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Team Report

June 12, 2007

Jim Thomas
    For Sporting News

The release of CB Jerametrius Butler increases the possibility that either Lenny Walls or Mike Rumph will make the final roster in September. It also reinforces that the nickel back job is Ron Bartell's to lose. But teams can never have enough good corners, and giving up on Butler -- who quickly worked himself into the doghouse of the Scott Linehan coaching staff last season -- robs the team of veteran depth. Bartell flashed athleticism and playmaking skills late in the season, but can he do so on an every-down basis? Journeymen Walls and Rumph must not only show they can defend well enough to play in a pinch off the bench, but must contribute immediately on special teams. Rookie Jonathan Wade also figures in the mix backing up starters Tye Hill and Fakhir Brown, but the third-round draft pick must polish up on technique to contribute right away. ...

RB Steven Jackson's goal for 2007 is to break Marshall Faulk's NFL single-season record for yards from scrimmage (2,429). But with rookie Brian Leonard around, plus the additions of WR Drew Bennett and TE Randy McMichael, Jackson probably won't get the ball as much as a receiver in '07, so 2,500 will be a tough goal to reach.

SCOUTING REPORT: CB Fakhir Brown has above-average coverage skills, particularly in man-to-man coverage. Receivers don't consistently get big separation against him. Although he gave up his share of completions and big plays a year ago, many of them came on excellent throws and catches by the opposition. At his best, Brown plays the more physical style of corner that defensive coordinator Jim Haslett favors. But Brown missed his share of tackles a year ago, and must work on sounder tackling techniques. Brown has enough playmaking skills to be an above-average corner, but must stay healthy. He has shown a tendency to get nicked up and miss a game or two in the past.

REHAB UPDATE: WR Torry Holt is a meticulous worker, and while the rest of the team engaged in offseason workouts and OTAs, he has been getting his surgically-repaired knee (torn cartilage) ready for '07. It was not a major surgery, but when your livelihood depends in large part on your legs, you take no chances. So it has been with Holt, whose work habits and professionalism have helped him get the most out of his considerable talents. Holt can run all the routes, and does so with precision. But he remains the team's top deep threat, which is one reason he's taking a deliberate approach to rehab. Still one of the centerpieces of the St. Louis offense entering his ninth NFL season, Holt will be at full speed in training camp.

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Team Report

Go Torry Go !!! Smart athlete that knows how to do it.

I'm happy with our DB's going into this season, lot of youth that is gaining experience

Maineram

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

robs the team of veteran depth
    Well, I think we can all agree, the staff appears committed to the youth movement. Whether good or bad, the one thing for sure.......this ain't your dad's Rams.....or your older brother's Rams......or even your Rams from just a few minutes ago.

I see a large spectrum of both excitement and frustration in our future (hopefully more of the former and less of the latter.)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

I do as well. I picked up Lindy's and Athalon's NFL preview last nite, and read every word on all the NFC West teams. Lindy's had Hawks, Rams, *****, and Cards, and Athalon had ***** and Rams 2 and 3. No big surprises really, as I can't really argue with either one.

What was interesting to note, was that in discussing the Hawks, both magazines referred to the ***** and Cards sneaking up on Seattle, with no mention of the Rams.

(Gotta run ,... to be continued.)

This could be that they were a given to challenge the Hawks, but one didn't get that impression from the reading it.

Personally, I am much more worried about the ***** than either the Cards or Hawks, even though I had to laugh at the reference to Smith's "breakout year" - 16TDs, 16 INTs and a passer rating of 74.9. That said, he's going to be a good QB, and not another Harrington. And he's got some better receivers this year, and a healthy Davis with (most) of a year under his belt.

Long live the rivalry - it's going to be a tough division this year.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -06-13-2007 at 03:19 PM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Holt's been around for 9 years.............. man I feel old.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey