RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Team Report

Posted: April 22, 2008
    Jim Thomas
    For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS

LT Orlando Pace remains on pace in his rehabilitation from shoulder surgery (torn labrum) last fall. Pace hopes to be cleared to practice at the start of training camp, but that's no sure thing. Pace's injury problems the past two seasons have renewed his hunger to re-assert himself as one of the game's top left tackles. And if that happens, Marc Bulger automatically becomes a better quarterback and Steven Jackson becomes a better running back. . . .

Coach Scott Linehan wants a more challenging training camp, to toughen up his team for the regular season and, in theory, make them less susceptible to injury. There will be longer team periods in camp; joint practices and a scrimmage are being planned with another team -- something Linehan did not do in his first two years with the Rams. Linehan also plans to play his starters a little more -- particularly on offense -- during exhibition games. It's all designed to get the team off to a faster start overall once the regular-season begins. . .

No matter what the team does in the draft, there should be good competition for the backup wide receiver positions in camp. After missing several games last season with ankle problems, Dante Hall has a chance to re-establish himself as the No. 4 receiver in addition to handling returns. Veteran Dane Looker probably is assured of a final roster spot because of his holding duties and overall special teams work, but he can still be useful as a possession receiver. Youngsters Derek Stanley and Marques Hagans shouldn't be eliminated from the equation. Stanley showed some promise as a kickoff returner late in the season, but he still needs to polish his receiving skills. Hagans has come a long way in his transition from college QB to NFL receiver, but further improvement is needed on route-running and catching. And there's veteran Reche Caldwell, who knows coordinator Al Saunders' offense.

SCOUTING REPORT

After a disappointing first season in St. Louis, WR Drew Bennett has been thrust into a starting role following the release of Isaac Bruce. Bennett must avoid nagging injuries -- he was by quad and hamstring problems in '07 -- and stay on the practice field. Bennett has the size and hands to be an effective No. 2 receiver, complementing Torry Holt. He can make the tough catch and head upfield, but must cut down on drops. The in-game communication between Bennett and Bulger also must improve. Much is expected of Bennett this season. If he isn't dramatically improved in '08, the Rams' offense will sputter once again.

shower beers is online now Registered User

Re: Rams Team Report

Wasn't there some discussion as to whether or not we need Looker now, since Wilkins has retired?

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Wasn't there some discussion as to whether or not we need Looker now, since Wilkins has retired?
    Yeah. I for one think we should start training a new holder - get him in sync with our new kicker. I would rather have Hagans/Stanley/Thompson on the roster and see if any of them step up - I don't think Looker is going to get any better as a receiver and he's just ok right now. Better to have that roster spot go towards a new receiver with more potential.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I don't think Bennett will be our one second receiver. I believe that he will be our height threat and endzone threat. I think he will be a great redzone threat as well. But he cannot be our #2 receiver. I think whoever we draft will be the new #2.