RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Team Report

Rams Team Report

Inside Slant

The Rams have regressed since winning two straight games and playing New England tough after Jim Haslett took over as head coach.

As bad as the 20 games were in 2007 and 2008 under former coach Scott Linehan, nothing was as bad as the first half Sunday when the Jets took a 40-0 lead. That was the third-largest halftime lead in NFL history.

In losses to Arizona and the Jets, the Rams have been outscored 81-16. In road losses this season to the Eagles, Seahawks and Jets, the Rams have been outscored 48-0 in the first quarter, 88-6 at halftime and 122-19 overall.

“It was embarrassing,” a shell-shocked Haslett said. “It was bad football. We turned the ball over five or six times (five), and when we had chances to get turnovers, we didn’t capitalize on them. We couldn’t stop the run. It was bad football all around. I can’t even describe it. It was bad.”

In wins over Washington and Dallas, the Rams had one turnover and seven takeaways. In the last two losses, they have no takeaways and eight turnovers.

Said quarterback Marc Bulger, who was replaced at halftime by Trent Green, “It was terrible. Ninety-five percent of the guys have never been a part of a half like that. We put our defense in a lot of bad situations. A lot of the blame should go on the offense.”

Asked how the team will rebound, Haslett said, “We’re going to find out in the next couple of weeks.”

While the offense stumbled again and had just 46 plays, the defense allowed the Jets to rumble 80 yards on the opening drive, with running back Thomas Jones carrying five times for 53 yards including a 20-yard run on the first play. He had six runs of 10 yards or more yards in the game, accounting for 83 of his 149 yards. In the first half, the Jets outgained the Rams, 246-88.

Said Haslett, “They went right down the field running the ball. We weren’t in position to make plays. It was mostly our linebackers the whole way down on the first drive. They were in the wrong gaps. We didn’t cover the tight end on a deep ball. Those are things we work on. It’s either one of two things: They either don’t want to do it or they’re not good enough to do it. It’s one of those two things. We’ll find out.”

Haslett said Monday that Bulger will start Sunday against the *****. Bulger’s passer rating against the Jets was 29.3, while Green’s was 33.3.

Said Bulger, “We’re not getting the job done on offense. That falls on the quarterback. Whether I have to throw it 60 times next week or 20 or be a backup; whatever it takes if it helps this team win, I’m willing to take that role. I’ll back coach Haslett 100 percent on whatever he decides to do.”

Bulger said he understood why Haslett did what he did at halftime. He said, “We’re down 40-0. If I’m the coach, you have to do something. I would have done the same thing. It was the right move. Trent did a great job when he went in. We had to make something happen. It couldn’t have been any worse than it was. I’m backing coach Haslett’s decision.”

Summing up his feelings, Haslett said when asked about Bulger’s play, “There were a couple of things I didn’t like, but obviously, there were a lot of things I didn’t like about everybody on that field today.”

Notes, Quotes

• The Rams opened the game against the Jets with Antonio Pittman a surprise starter when it was believed inexperienced Kenneth Darby would start. Realistically, it didn’t matter. Pittman rushed for 28 yards on 13 attempts, and added 38 yards on two receptions.

Darby had a couple of nice runs of 13 and 14 yards, but also fumbled twice in the first half, one of which was negated by a penalty. He didn’t play in the second half. Said Haslett, “I don’t want anyone on the field if they can’t hold on to the football. He wasn’t playing anymore.”

• The defense appeared as if it had never seen a running play before. Running backs Thomas Jones and Leon Washington combined for nine runs of 10 yards or more. In nine games, the Rams have allowed 52 runs of 10 yards or more. The nine runs Sunday accounted for 117 of the Jets’ 206 rushing yards.

Said Haslett, “They’re prepared. They saw all the plays that were run out there in practice this week. It’s not coaching.”

Players agreed. Said defensive end Leonard Little, “As a defense, when you can’t stop the run, it’s hard to get any rush on the quarterback. Our main focus today was stopping the run and we didn’t do a good job of that. It kept us off balance. They didn’t do anything that we didn’t see all week in practice. I don’t know what happened in the game, but they ran the same plays we saw in practice last week.”

• The Jets’ final five possessions of the first half started at their own 42-yard line, the Rams’ 49, the Rams’ 31, the Rams’ 18 and the Rams’ 44. The Rams won the field-position battle in wins over Washington and Dallas, but it has been reversed the last two weeks. The Jets’ average drive start was their own 44-yard line compared the Rams’ 26.

Strategy And Personnel

PLAYER NOTES

• RB Steven Jackson did some running Monday and it is hoped he will be able to practice this week and play against San Francisco.

• QB Trent Green injured his right elbow trying to make a tackle after an interception, but he should be OK to be Marc Bulger’s backup against the *****.

• CB Tye Hill was in Alabama on Monday seeking a second opinion on the knee injury that has sidelined him for several weeks.

• WR Derek Stanley suffered what is considered to be a minor high ankle sprain against the Jets and it is hoped he will be available for Sunday’s game against San Francisco.

• RB Antonio Pittman, who played Sunday despite a hamstring issue, got through the game OK and should be available against the *****.

REPORT CARD VS. JETS

Passing Offense: F—QB Marc Bulger completed just 6 of 13 passes for 65 yards with a passer rating of 29.3. Green completed 5 of 10 passes for 70 yards with a passer rating of 33.3. He led the Rams on a 10-play, 57-yard drive that resulted in a field goal, their only points of the game, but threw an end-zone interception on third-and-goal from the 1-yard line after another 10-play, 57-yard drive. After the Jets took a 10-0 lead, any chance for the Rams evaporated on a blown blitz pickup. A 14-yard run by Darby and a 16-yard pass from Bulger to Dane Looker on third-and-9 set the Rams up at the Jets 42-yard line. On first down, Bulger went back to pass but was drilled by Abram Elam, who came untouched around the left end. LT Orlando Pace looked to his right and had no one to block. He never saw Elam, who hit Bulger as his arm was going back to pass. LB Calvin Pace picked up the fumble at midfield and ran 50 yards for the touchdown and a 17-0 lead.

Rushing Offense: F—Rams running backs had 19 attempts for 64 yards, half of which came from Kenneth Darby. He had runs of 13 and 14 yards but lost one fumble and would have lost another had the play not been wiped out by a Jets penalty. Darby was benched after his second fumble.

Pass Defense: D—QB Brett Favre passed for only 167 yards, but he needed just 19 pass attempts. Two plays to TE Dustin Keller totaled 84 yards, and Favre had a passer rating of 117.7. The Rams had no sacks and dropped two easy interceptions in the first half.

Rush Defense: F—RBs Thomas Jones and Leon Washington combined for 203 yards on 38 attempts. Jones rushed for 149 yards and three touchdowns, and both backs gashed the Rams for runs of 10 yards or more.

Special Teams: C—The game was over so quickly, special teams weren’t a factor. PK Josh Brown made his only field-goal attempt. P Donnie Jones had a good day, although one short punt set the Jets up in good field position when the score was already 24-0.

Coaching: C—The way the Rams played, you’d think they weren’t being coached, but we know that’s not the case. Jim Haslett and Co. are playing the hand they’ve been dealt, and the cards aren’t very good.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams Team Report

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Rams Team Report

Inside Slant

• The defense appeared as if it had never seen a running play before. Running backs Thomas Jones and Leon Washington combined for nine runs of 10 yards or more. In nine games, the Rams have allowed 52 runs of 10 yards or more. The nine runs Sunday accounted for 117 of the Jets’ 206 rushing yards.

Said Haslett, “They’re prepared. They saw all the plays that were run out there in practice this week. It’s not coaching.”

Players agreed. Said defensive end Leonard Little, “As a defense, when you can’t stop the run, it’s hard to get any rush on the quarterback. Our main focus today was stopping the run and we didn’t do a good job of that. It kept us off balance. They didn’t do anything that we didn’t see all week in practice. I don’t know what happened in the game, but they ran the same plays we saw in practice last week.”
    Our defense has allowed "52", FIFTY Freakin' TWO! Runs of 10 yards or more!!!

That's beyond explanation or excuses!

Their main focus according to Leonard Little was to stop the run?!

It's a good thing they were focused on stopping the run against the JETS!!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Team Report

To play defense, you have to be Mobile, agile, and mostest especially HOSTILE!! That 3rd element is most lacking consistantly on the Rams defense. When I watch the Rams, I have to ask myself will the defense showup with fire in their bellies to play a good game.

I have noticed however, that the defense feeds off offensive success. Without much of a vocal and inspiring leader on defense, I notice they tend to play up to their ability, as against Dallas, when the offense is playing well--and fall apart as they did against the Jets.

Solution: Get the Rams Defense a Ray Lewis type of player!!