eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams team report

USA TODAY

After the previous week's win over New Orleans, the Rams believed they would use that as a springboard to establish some credibility in the weeks ahead despite their 1-6 record entering Sunday's game against Arizona.
    And, for a while, it appeared everything was going the Rams' way. For the first time this season, they had come back to tie and go head of their opponent after falling behind.

Two third-quarter safeties on successive plays had given them a 13-6 lead on a day where the defense was stopping the Cardinals consistently. But, it all fell apart in an explicable span of 6:48 of the fourth quarter and overtime.

Special teams, which had been one positive even through the first six losses of the season, experienced a colossal meltdown as the potential winning field goal was blocked on the final play of regulation and the game was lost on a 99-yard punt return by rookie cornerback Patrick Peterson.

The game against the Cardinals was the first of a stretch of four games that included Arizona, Cleveland, Seattle and Arizona again.

Kicker Josh Brown made three field goals earlier in the game, including one from 48 yards, but 6-8 defensive end Calais Campbell was able to block the final 42-yard kick.

With a trip to Cleveland on the horizon this week, Brown was asked how the team can recover.

"I don't know," he said. "You just have to keep playing. Plain and simple, you just have to continue to do your job. You do what the coaches ask. There's really nothing you can really do to adjust. We didn't play as well as we would've liked at certain times and we had opportunities to win the game, and in the end, you gotta be able to cover punts, you gotta be able to make kicks and block for kicks, and you gotta be able to score touchdowns."

Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis seemed shocked at how the game ended.

"I've never been a part of one that ended like that," he said. "Just frustrating, but this team fought and will continue to fight. We didn't take advantage of the opportunities that we had to really seal the game. We'll look at it tomorrow and we'll figure it out and get back to work, but this one definitely stings."

"There's some good things in this film that we can look at, and there's some stuff that we definitely need to improve. It's going to hurt until we get out there and practice on Wednesday and really put our full focus on Cleveland. But this one definitely hurts."

NOTES, QUOTES

LINEUP WATCH: Quarterback Sam Bradford didn't practice for significant time until Friday, but he started and played the entire game after missing two games with a high ankle sprain. Afterward, Bradford acknowledged that his ankle was "pretty sore," but added, "I kind of knew that coming into the game. I expected it to be a little sore. I don't think it's anything major."

BY THE NUMBERS: Punter Donnie Jones was having an outstanding game with four punts dropped inside the 20 and a net of 45.0 after his first six punts. But the seventh was returned 99 yards for the winning touchdown, and his net dropped to 32.1.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

PLAYER NOTES

—WR Greg Salas suffered a fractured fibula in the fourth quarter and will miss the rest of the season. Salas had been having consistent production and had seven receptions for 59 yards against Arizona.

—WR Brandon Gibson suffered an injury to his quad against Arizona, but his status going forward is unknown.

—DT Gary Gibson suffered a hip injury early in the fourth quarter, which left the Rams shorthanded because Darell Scott was inactive because of a concussion.

—TE Lance Kendricks left the game with a foot injury in the second quarter. X-ray did not show a crack, but Kendricks would have an MRI Monday.

—LB Josh Hull was sidelined by a hamstring injury against the Cardinals.

:ramlogo:

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Re: Rams team report

Funny how when you are flying around and winning games no-one seems to get hurt but when you are in losing mode the injuries just keep piling up.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

I know everyone hates Spags at the moment but he's got the defense working. Just so people remember, Justin King is a starting CB for this team! Teams aren't abusing our CBs like they were because Spags has made the adjustments. The rushing defense is even starting to look pretty solid.

It's the offense that is pathetic.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I know everyone hates Spags at the moment but he's got the defense working. Just so people remember, Justin King is a starting CB for this team! Teams aren't abusing our CBs like they were because Spags has made the adjustments. The rushing defense is even starting to look pretty solid.

Dude....we played the freakin' Arizona Cardinals with Red Skelton at QB. We're supposed to look good.

And although we beat the Saints pretty good, they'd be focused if they had to play us again, and probably put up 40 on us.

Excuse me for sounding negative, but I tend to think that the adjustment came from the schedule makers, rather than Spagnuolo or they wouldn't have waited this long to adjust.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -11-07-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Dude....we played the freakin' Arizona Cardinals with Red Skelton at QB. We're supposed to look good.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -11-07-2011 at 11:52 PM.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

That's one of the problems. He has little girl crushes on players who shouldn't be out on the field. Why start King when Josh Gordy is looking more and more solid each game?

Unbelievable.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

We are making an era out of the injury pile-ups. 3 or 4 more years of it and a commemortive patch will probably appear on the uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    Funny how when you are flying around and winning games no-one seems to get hurt but when you are in losing mode the injuries just keep piling up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]