eldfan is offline Registered User

Rams Team Report

USA TODAY

Amid the gloom of a 2-13 season that now has the Rams holding the second pick in the draft with the potential for the first choice for the second time in three years, there is running back Steven Jackson.
    With the regular-season finale Sunday against San Francisco, Jackson will continue to fight and grind as he did Saturday while rushing for 103 yards against a strong Steelers defense in a 27-0 loss.

He did it behind a line that had two starters from opening day on the field, with both (Harvey Dahl and Jason Brown) playing different positions.

Most notably, he went over 9,000 yards in his career and reached 1,069 yards for the season, becoming the seventh player in league history to rush for at least 1,000 yards for seven straight seasons.

Asked about the admiration he has for Jackson, coach Steve Spagnuolo said, "On a level of admiration on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm at a 15. I don't know how else to say it. He is a very passionate football player. He's passionate about how he plays, the way he plays; he's passionate about the team he plays for; he's passionate about the guys he plays for. He's been that way ever since I've gotten here. He hasn't changed and I think people see that in the way he plays, and he was certainly that way today."

Said linebacker James Laurinaitis, "Not only is he an unbelievable running back, but he's a great leader. I remember my rookie year when we went through a 1-15 season. He was a guy that I looked at to see how to get through it and battle through it. He's a professional. He's always been that way, and he works extremely hard."

As Jackson has mentioned before, he is humbled to join a group that includes Eric Dickerson, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Curtis Martin and LaDainian Tomlinson.

"It's a huge achievement," he said. "It's a special group of guys to be a part of. It is really special. Something that you dream about. Something that you're just amazed at the accomplishment. My guys fought hard for me - the offensive line, the receivers, tight ends, everyone really dug in to help me achieve this, and I'm very grateful for that."

Finally, Jackson was asked if he ever wonders what it would be like to play for a team like the Steelers. Since he came to the Rams as a first-round pick in 2004, the team's record is 37-90.

He said, "It's probably one of those questions that I'll reflect on after my career. I have a list of goals. I check them off as I accomplish them. Who knows what will happen?

"I'm in a great city in St. Louis. When you're part of the tradition that I share with a list of Rams over the years, I think being a running back with that group of guys is just as impressive."

If only this organization could put an impressive group of guys around him.

NOTES, QUOTES

BY THE NUMBERS: Of the Rams' 22 starters Saturday, six overall and four on offense weren't with the team in training camp. Ten other players active also joined the team after camp.

UNDER THE RADAR: Cornerback Josh Gordy, who is starting because of numerous injuries, had his third interception of the season and second in two weeks.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

PLAYER NOTES

QB Kellen Clemens struggled against the Steelers, completing just 9-of-24 passes for 91 yards with a passer rating of 49.1. Of the 91 yards, 24 were to Jackson, so his other seven completions totaled 67 yards.

CB Justin King missed his second consecutive game because of a shoulder injury that happened in practice before the previous week's game against Cincinnati.

QB Sam Bradford was inactive because of continuing issues with a high ankle sprain. This was the fifth game he's missed since suffering the injury against Green Bay on Oct. 16.

RB Cadillac Williams had the longest play from scrimmage in the game for the Rams, 23-yard run. It came in the fourth quarter on a play that began with 41 seconds remaining.

:ramlogo:

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Team Report

Does SJAX go into the Hall? IDK! Alot of those yards were between the 20s, not nessasarily his fault, but the Rams franchise did fall apart during his tenure. A sign of greatness is making others around you better if not equal. In the beginning, he made goals
    promising to surpass Marshall and Eric, Don't see that happening.
    Steven Jackson has nice accomplishments, just wish they were more meaningful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

SJ39 did what he could,there is only so much one person can do when the entire team around him is terrible.And btw he did pass Marshall and Eric in rushing yards,not sure about tds but i doubt he passed marshall he was a TD machine.Although he didnt play all his years in St louis so maybe SJ can still break what he did in st louis alone.Such a shame for SJ but at the same time you cant take away what he has done.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

IMO, when your the seventh player EVER to do something as prestigous as rushing for 1000 yards for seven straight seasons, you should be a HoFer. Thats an incredible feat for such a physical sport.Dude shouldnt be punished for unselfishly playing for an awful team his entire career. If anything, it should boost his chances. Hes done all of this with an avg or below avg O line while defenses keyed on stopping the run his whole career. Im not being biased, any player with this criteria deserves to be in the HoF.