MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams team report ... Jim Thomas

You can find this article at:
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=233680

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rams Team Report
    July 5, 2007

Jim Thomas
    For Sporting News

The team likes what it sees so far from Dante Hall, the veteran kick return man from Kansas City. Hall has been decisive in his reads and moves on the practice, and seems to have taken to new special teams coach Al Roberts. The Rams don't need Hall to return to his past glory days with the Chiefs. Just about anything they get from Hall should be better than their kickoff and punt return efforts of recent seasons, when they went through one kickoff returner after another and watched Shaun McDonald run sideways far too often on punt returns. ...

After years of losing in Detroit, a change of scenery should do James Hall a world of good. Cleared physically after undergoing shoulder surgery, Hall will give the Rams at veteran presence at right end opposite Leonard Little. Hall has what coach Scott Linehan terms a "sneaky" pass rush, and anything they get out of him will be an upgrade over '06 when defensive ends not named "Little" managed only two sacks for St. Louis.

SCOUTING REPORT: The transition was rough a year ago, as QB Marc Bulger struggled with a new offense and a new coach's strict emphasis on taking care of the football. But after some ugly moments in the preseason and slow going early in the '06 campaign, Bulger made an impressive transition to Scott Linehan's offense. Bulger's accuracy and toughness remain underrated throughout the league. He cut down on his interceptions dramatically a year ago, while still taking the occasional deep shot. With an improved supporting cast, Bulger is capable of posting similar numbers, with better red zone production, if given enough time to throw.

SOMETHING TO PROVE: RT Alex Barron has the athleticism, quick feet, and wingspan to be a dominant blocker in the NFL. But two seasons into his pro career, Barron has struggled with inconsistencies and foolish false start penalties. He sets up almost too quickly as a pass blocker, which makes him susceptible to the bull rush. But those around Barron say he is maturing and has become more serious about his craft. He showed last year that he has the toughness to play a long time in this league, gutting out the final games of the season with a knee injury that required offseason surgery. In '07, it's time for him to take the next step.

INSIDE DISH: Even though the Rams like what they see in rookie Adam Carriker as a nose guard, the team still would love to have Kris Jenkins in its lineup this season. Although the pre-draft trade for Jenkins fizzled, St. Louis remains interested if Carolina is really serious about dealing him. Club officials never really got that impression from the Panthers last April. But the Rams still won't give up a first-round pick for Jenkins, and the closer it gets to camp, it's debatable if the Rams would even give up a second. For now, the Rams as inexperienced as you can get at the position, with two rookies (Clifton Ryan and Keith Jackson) backing up Carriker.

Jim Thomas covers the Rams for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2007 All rights reserved.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Rams team report ... Jim Thomas

No mention of Barron's SLAQ?

Here go the Kris Jenkins rumors again.

Overall, like what I read. RAMS are going to give us a very exciting season.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    No mention of Barron's SLAQ?

Here go the Kris Jenkins rumors again.

Overall, like what I read. RAMS are going to give us a very exciting season.
    I like what I read too, but I'll have to temper my enthusiasm until I see some action on the field, especially the defense. Too many times we've been told guys look good in camp (Kennedy, Hargrove), only to be disappointed when it matters. I must admit though I have a good feeling about this years possibilities.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

is exciting a good or a bad thing... martz always gave us an exciting season for better or for worse...

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce4life View Post
    Is exciting a good or a bad thing... Martz always gave us an exciting season for better or for worse...
    Good question! I suppose it depends on whether the excitement is capped with an 'L' or with a 'W'. I'm excited too and realistically believe -- or believe that realistically -- the Rams will improve on DEFENSE, offense and ST. That's a ton of overall improvement, all of which, again ... based more on excitement than specifics, will produce more 'Ws'.

A little surprised La'Roi Glover is not mentioned as a backup at DT. I'm excited that this might be a consistently good, reliable year for him as part of the much needed depth there.
    Last edited by RealRam; -07-06-2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Typo

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    is exciting a good or a bad thing... martz always gave us an exciting season for better or for worse...
    If we win ... it is always exciting and that's a good thing !!! Losing is not exciting ... However my neighbors have informed me that it can be exciting (my word -- not theirs) listening to me during a live Rams game ...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

One, Hall better be better than what we had last year. The change in scenery should definitely help. He now gets a chance at the playoffs.

Second, I hope that the Jenkins trade either doesn't happen or is the steal of the year, no middle ground. That said, I'd favor not making the deal. If he makes the pro bowl for legitimate stats and playing and we win the West, then I'd be happy to give up a second rounder for him. Otherwise I wouldn't give more than a 5th, as I'd expect he's now just a big fatty. He could roll over a few lineman, but at the same time he could squash Spoon if they push him the other way.