r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams Team Report June 25

NOTES & QUOTES

After suffering a shoulder injury last season and then reportedly undergoing hernia surgery, safety Oshiomogho Atogwe proclaimed himself, "very healthy." Asked if he is 100 percent, he would only say, "There will definitely be an acclimation period getting back to playing football. I haven't played football since December 6, 2009. Though I've been doing drills and running around, there's definitely going to be an acclimation period. But there's no doubt in my mind that come opening game (I will) be on the field and helping this team be successful."

While not admitting to the hernia surgery, he said, "I had some other complications that needed to get corrected and through the offseason I was able to restore health and become whole. Going forward, I think I'm in the best shape that I can be to play this upcoming season."

Coach Steve Spagnuolo likes what he sees from rookie cornerback Jerome Murphy. "I think he's come a long way," Spagnuolo said. "I think he's vastly improved since when he first got here, (and) now he's playing some nickel, plays a little bit of dime, he's out there at corner. I can see him over there getting some extra work—I think he's working real hard at it. It's going to take him a little while, but I do think he's gotten better."

Another rookie, tight end Michael Hoomanawanui, has opened some eyes with soft hands and the ability to get down the field. General manager Billy Devaney said Hoomanawanui showed his ability at the Senior Bowl after not being utilized consistently in the University of Illinois offense. Said Spagnuolo, "Mike's done a nice job. Even in the personnel meeting the other day, there were a lot of good comments about him, so I think he's coming along."

Quote To Note:

"We're hopeful that he'll be able to do something in training camp. That's the hope and that would put him ahead of schedule because that was a pretty good injury that he had. Now, I don't know, it may be wishful thinking on my part, but he's been doing a great job in rehab. He's really excelled in the rehab."

—Coach Steve Spagnuolo on CB Bradley Fletcher.

STRATEGY & PERSONNEL

When the Rams announced last week the promotion of Mike Williams from director of pro personnel to vice president/player personnel, it was notable that his new title is the same as the one held by Tony Softli, who came to the Rams in July 2006.

Previously, there were reports that Softli had been given permission by the Rams to look for other work. He has not been successful yet, but sources told the Globe-Democrat that he won't be offered another contract and is leaving the organization.

Meanwhile, in his new role, Williams will oversee pro personnel. At the same time, the Rams have ended their long-time association with Pro Scout, Inc., which provides several NFL teams with ratings of current NFL players.

Another week has passed, and Rams linebacker K.C. Asiodu remains on the team's roster, even though coach Steve Spagnuolo said last Wednesday (June 16) he would likely be released by Thursday. It isn't known what the delay is, leading to speculation it's medically related, but doesn't involve a football-related injury.

The Rams' final five exclusive-rights free agents signed their one-year tenders: DL C.J. Ah You, LB Larry Grant, WR Jordan Kent, OT Ryan McKee and S David Roach.

The Rams are believed to be one of as many as 20 teams planning to attend the July 8 workout of former Brigham Young running back Harvey Unga, who is available to be selected in the July 15 supplemental draft.

Unga withdrew from school in April for a violation of the school's honor code. At the same time, his girlfriend of three years, women's volleyball player Keilani Moeaki, also withdrew from school, leading to speculation the violation involved premarital sex. Unga tried to re-enroll in May, but was denied, leading to his decision to enter the supplemental draft.

In three seasons, the 6-0, 237-pound Unga rushed for 3,455 yards and also showed ability as a receiver. In 2007 and 2008, he combined for 86 receptions, 964 yards and eight touchdowns. Last season, he wasn't utilized as much as a receiver and caught just 16 passes for 121 yards.

Rob Rang of nfldraftscout.com said of Unga: "He has been characterized to me by scouts as a poor man's Toby Gerhart (a Heisman Trophy runner-up and second-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings). Powerful, quick enough feet and balance to be effective. Worthy of a fourth-round grade in the normal draft, but I'm betting he slips to the fifth or sixth in the supplemental."

A team using a pick in the supplemental draft forfeits their pick in that round in the next year's draft. The supplemental draft is conducted blind, where teams submit to the league the round in which they elect to select a player. If multiple teams submit the same round, the pick goes to the team with the highest selection, based on this past April's draft.

If the Rams choose to try and get Unga, if no other team submits a higher round, they would automatically get him by virtue of having the first pick in the April draft.

Franchise Player:

None.

Transition Player:

None.

Free Agents

(not tendered offers)

S Eric Bassey (not tendered as RFA).

*RB Samkon Gado (not tendered as RFA).

S Clinton Hart (not tendered as UFA).

DE Leonard Little (not tendered as UFA).

LS Ryan Neill (not tendered as RFA).

Restricted Free Agents

(*indicates restricted because of uncapped year): None.

Exclusive Rights Free Agents:

None.

Players Re-signed

*DE Victor Adeyanju: RFA; (tendered at $1.176M with fourth-round pick as compensation); $1.176M/1 yr.

DE C.J. Ah You: ERFA; $395,000/1 yr.

*S Oshiomogho Atogwe: FA; 5 yrs, terms unknown (originally tendered as RFA at $1.226M with no compensation) became a free agent June 2 when the Rams elected not to increase his tender to $6.976 million).

CB Quincy Butler: ERFA; $470,000/1 yr.

S Craig Dahl: RFA (had been tendered at $1.01M with no compensation); $3.6M/3 yrs, $755,000 RB 2010.

RB Kenneth Darby: ERFA; $470,000/1 yr.

TE Daniel Fells: Not tendered as RFA; $770,000/1 yr.

*DT Gary Gibson: Not tendered as RFA; 1 yr, terms unknown.

LB Larry Grant: ERFA; $470,000/1 yr.

DE James Hall: UFA; $8.25M/3 yrs, $1.895M RB 2010.

WR Jordan Kent: ERFA; $470,000/1 yr.

LS Chris Massey: UFA; $4.4M/4 yrs, $250,000 RB 2010/$500,000 RB 2011.

OT Ryan McKee: ERFA; $395,000/1 yr.

S David Roach: ERFA; $395,000/1 yr.

NT Clifton Ryan: RFA; (tendered at $1.684M with second-round pick as compensation); $1.684M1 yr.

*OG Mark Setterstrom: Not tendered as RFA; $597,500/1 yr, $52,500 RB.

LB David Vobora: ERFA; $470,000/1 yr.

Players Acquired

LB Bobby Carpenter (trade Cowboys).

LB Na'il Diggs: FA Panthers; $2.5M/2 yrs.

*CB Kevin Dockery: Not tendered as RFA by Giants; $630,000/1 yr.

QB A.J. Feeley: UFA Panthers; $6M/2 yrs, $2.25M RB 2010/$500,000 RB 2011.

C Hank Fraley: FA Browns; $3.055M/3 yrs, $200,000 RB 2010.

DT Chris Hovan: FA Buccaneers; $855,000/1 yr, $150,000 play-time bonus.

TE Darcy Johnson: Not tendered as RFA by Giants; $470,000/1 yr.

S Kevin Payne (trade Bears).

DT Fred Robbins: UFA Giants; $11.25M/3 yrs, $3.395M RB 2010.

Players Lost

*OT Alex Barron (traded Cowboys); had been tendered at $2.73M with second-round pick as compensation).

QB Kyle Boller: UFA Raiders; terms unknown.

QB Marc Bulger (released).

DT Adam Carriker (traded Redskins).

LB Paris Lenon: UFA Cardinals; 3 yrs, terms unknown.

*WR Ruvell Martin: Not tendered as RFA/Seahawks; 1 yr, terms unknown.

TE Randy McMichael: Not tendered offer as UFA

msha is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Team Report June 25

I think McMichael is with San Diego, not sure why that wasn't up there.

Comrade Ram is offline Registered User

We need Harvey Unga , Living in Las Vegas and being a UNLV Rebel fan i have seen Unga play live and gash my Rebels for many yards.........he would be a great back up to Steven Jackson.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

The pieces of the roster puzzle are starting to come together. I'm starting to get excited, September can't come fast enough!