RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams Team Report/May 4

Rams Team Report
    May 4, 2008

Jim Thomas
    For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: More so than ever, quarterback Marc Bulger has been a regular around Rams Park this offseason, and not just running and lifting weights. He has had plenty of meeting time with new coordinator Al Saunders and new quarterbacks coach Terry Shea, learning Saunders' version of the old "Air Martz" offense.

With veterans joining rookies in a mandatory full-squad minicamp on Mother's Day weekend, Bulger will apply the meeting knowledge to the field. He will also start the process of getting in sync with starting wide receiver Drew Bennett and rookie second-round pick Donnie Avery, projected to be the team's third receiver. Shea undoubtedly will work on polishing up Bulger's footwork and mechanics, which regressed last season. Having the full-squad minicamp in mid May instead of one month later is yet another sign that coach Scott Linehan is trying to change things up, to create a new sense of urgency and challenge his players this spring and summer. . . .

Rookie fourth-round pick Justin King eventually could be a second-day steal. But the cornerback from Penn State, a converted wide receiver, is very raw and must refine his talents in a hurry at the NFL level. In addition, the coverage schemes at Penn State are nothing like the Rams' system. He must learn to play a steady diet of man-to-man, with press coverage. King, however, has the speed and athleticism to develop into a good cover corner. . . .

With only four linebacker spots assured on the final 53-man roster, undrafted rookies Marc Magro (West Virginia) and Vince Hall (Virginia Tech) will have a good opportunity to earn a job. The Rams were pleased to land both players in what can be a very competitive post-draft signing period. What they do on special teams in the preseason will have much to say about where Magro and/or Hall can stick.

SCOUTING REPORT: A healthy Richie Incognito could do wonders for the running game from right guard. Incognito is a strong, physical player who is powerful at the point of attack and brings attitude to the line play. Sometimes it's a case of too much attitude, as he needs to better control his temper to avoid costly penalties.

Incognito's mobility isn't the greatest. Although he's a competent pass blocker he needs to improve his lateral quickness and his ability to get up to the linebackers on running plays and screens. After knee and ankle problems limited him to four games in '07, Incognito could be pushed for a starting job if he's not on his game.

CORNERBACKS ANALYSIS: If the Rams can get a full 16 games from Fakhir Brown this should be an above-average group. Brown, who missed the first four games of '07, for failing to comply with the NFL's substance abuse policy, usually is close in coverage and is the surest tackler in the unit.

If speedy Tye Hill can stay healthy and polish his technique, he's ready for a breakthrough year. Nickel back Ron Bartell shows flashes of playmaking skill but must put his size to better use. Grade: C-plus. Pro Bowl-caliber players: None.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Team Report/May 4

Marc Bulger working this hard, is great news. If our line stays healthy, I see Marc Bulger being one of the better quarterbacks in the league. He's always been one of my favorite quarter backs, and him working this hard, is only making me favor him more. I like his attitude, he's a great team leader. Lead us the way to a great 08 Marc!

Incognito is great, but like they said, he has a bad temper. Sure that sounds great, and if he can control it and unleash his anger on the play, then he should do good.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

/SARCASM ON .......OMG, no pro bowl potential in the Rams secondary? Wait, what about Tye Hill? He's supposed to be our shut down corner and to most on this site is an excellent cover corner so why isn't he considered a Pro Bowl prospect? /SARCASM OFF....

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    /SARCASM ON .......OMG, no pro bowl potential in the Rams secondary? Wait, what about Tye Hill? He's supposed to be our shut down corner and to most on this site is an excellent cover corner so why isn't he considered a Pro Bowl prospect? /SARCASM OFF....
    Hold it... How many drinks is that worth?

This space for rent...

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Wait, no pro bowl caliber corners? No pro bowl caliber players on defense? Or no pro bowl caliber players period? it's not clear what he's referring to there.

He's probably only referring to the corners. If that's the case, I won't argue with him, but I think there's a case to say there are Rams players on both sides of the ball that could potentially compete for a pro bowl berth.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Is there any way I can virtually slap you?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Heh, I think the only players who would qualify as Pro Bowlers would be ones who have actually attended a Pro Bowl. I reckon Aeneas Williams was probably the last man in our secondary to go to one. I don't think this one is much a matter of opinion.

For that matter, when was the last time one of our starting corners actually started all sixteen games? I want to say it was Jerametrius Butler in 2004.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

depending on the guys ahead of them I think we could have pro-bowl guys in the secondary especially if OJ keeps picking them off like he does

Dominating D is offline Registered User

TX,

we all know your stance on Hill. Are you not making a large leap to shut down corner and Pro Bowl Prospect.

I believe several of us fans do see the potential Hill has but not sure anyone is talking about him being a shut down corner? I know I am not ready to give up on Hill cause I do see the talent I also see him struggle through injuries and would love to see what he can do when healthy and some experience.

GO RAMS

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    More so than ever, quarterback Marc Bulger has been a regular around Rams Park this offseason, and not just running and lifting weights. He has had plenty of meeting time with new coordinator Al Saunders and new quarterbacks coach Terry Shea, learning Saunders' version of the old "Air Martz" offense.
    Is there a way to train for thinking outside the pocket?

general counsel is offline Registered User

i like hill a lot. i think he is an excellent prospect. if he can stay healthy, i view him as a pro bowl caliber guy, especially if we get something that remotely resembles a pass rush

Watch the pro bowl. Even champ bailey cant cover without a pass rush. We have had no pass rush since hill joined the rams and he is still young. This is the key year for him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RANDYRAM Guest

A pass rush and winning will solve all Rams pro bowl problems!

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Pro Bowlers in the secondary is unheard of for this franchise, but pro bowlers at other positions we have have had in the past.
    THE FIELD GOAL

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

O. J. Atogwe is the closest we have to a Pro Bowl player in the secondary.

I thought he played well enough last year but he didn't make it in, maybe he's not a big enough name yet. Or maybe his tackling wasn't good enough - he sure looked dangerous (in a good way) in coverage with all the interceptions he was getting.

If O. J. can put together another season like last year he could be going to Hawaii this year - only downside to that is how much it'll cost to sign him longterm, we should have signed him already before he plays his value up even further

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Hey, I may dog Hill on here Monday - Saturday but don't think I'm not hoping he makes me out to be the complete idiot on a message board who has no earthly idea what he's talking about on Sunday.