r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams Team Report - Oct 27

Rams Team Report
    Yahoo! Sports - Oct 27, 1:50 am EDT

INSIDE SLANT

After the Rams lost to the Colts 42-6 Sunday, coach Steve Spagnuolo was most disappointed by what he believed was the team disintegrating in the fourth quarter, especially the defense. Late in the third quarter, the Rams trailed 21-6, but an interception return for a touchdown made the score 28-6, and the Colts added two fourth-quarter scores for the final count.

Said Spagnuolo, "The first three quarters I thought we battled really hard against a good football team. That team over there is good. We all know that. They've got skill everywhere. They've been doing it for a long time. But (for) three quarters I think we all felt and believed we could possibly pull that thing off and win the game.

"Now the fourth quarter was different. It was disappointing. They made some plays. Things kind of fell apart. That's not us. We haven't seen that before. We've got to get back to what we're doing, which is just battling and playing hard."

Monday, however, Spagnuolo amended his thoughts somewhat. "After the game, I thought it was the whole quarter. Really, it was about three minutes that we played with not quite the intensity we had had. That has not been this team."

Spagnuolo knows he has a task ahead, keeping his team's head up, as the record has hit 0-7.

The Rams have lost 17 consecutive games, and this season they have had four games where they have scored fewer than 10 points, and been outscored overall 211-60, including 117-23 after halftime. In their home games, against Green Bay, Minnesota and Indianapolis, the count overall is 116-33.

Of the 53 players on the roster Sunday, 26 joined the team this year. With Detroit the next opponent on the road, Spagnuolo was asked how far away the Rams are from beating a team like Indianapolis.

Said Spagnuolo, "Well, we got some work to do there. That's a guess, (but) I feel like what we've got here and what we're doing, the attitude of the guys, I mean I believe that's how you build it. And I believe when you get over the hump and you get that win, we're looking for consistent winning. We're not looking to just get one win, we don't want to do this (motions up and down). So we keep trying to build it the way we build it and I do think there's some pieces there. When you go up against a team like this you need a few more pieces."

NOTES & QUOTES

—Rams players didn't disagree with coach Steve Spagnuolo's comments about the fourth-quarter problems.

Said safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, "We just didn't fight as hard in the fourth quarter as we had in the previous three, which is a little disappointing."

Added cornerback Ron Bartell, "You're getting paid to play. You have a responsibility to one another to play hard every play. I just don't think in the fourth quarter we can let what happened happen."

On a general note, running back Steven Jackson said, "We're playing good football here and there; we have spurts of it. We have to learn how to put four quarters of good football together, go back to the drawing board and learn how to win games. That's what the biggest issue is right now. We don't know how to win a game right now."

Running back Steven Jackson totaled 134 yards on 23 carries Sunday, including nine attempts for 95 yards in the third quarter when he had seven rushes of nine yards or more. However, all it led to was one third-quarter field goal. Jackson has yet to score a rushing touchdown this season.

Asked after the game, about not scoring this season, Jackson said, "Excuse me. Excuse me. We're 0-7 right now. And I'm just focused on getting this team turned around. … There's 53 men on this team."

When asked how difficult it is to stay focused and how he approaches the difficult period the Rams are in, Jackson said, "Take a deep breath. You've got to start with yourself first. If you don't believe - it's hard to sell something you don't believe in. So I have to just go out there and run hard. And continue to show guys that I'm fighting for each and every yard in each and every game."

Jackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Team Report - Oct 27

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Asked after the game, about not scoring this season, Jackson said, "Excuse me. Excuse me. We're 0-7 right now. And I'm just focused on getting this team turned around. … There's 53 men on this team."
    Wow! Good on you big man, thats the spirit.
    We are in a tough phase, as soon as we pass this slump, this team will develop more confidence and chemisty.
    even though we are 0-7, i trust Spags (except shurmer )

Forever a rams fan
    JAX39

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Team Report - Oct 27

I love Steven Jackson.

Continue...