Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rams tender offers to some restricted free agents, and don't make offers to others

Rams offer Bruce extension, get set for free agency period
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Mar. 02 2006

Wide receiver Isaac Bruce is mulling over a contract extension offer that could
    all but ensure he retires as a Ram. With the start of the free agency period
    still on track for Friday, the Rams are hoping for an answer from Bruce today,
    before a $1.5 million roster bonus he is due from the club Friday.

An extension for Bruce would help create cap space for the free-agent period.
    The Rams made no roster cuts Wednesday but are expected to release middle
    linebacker Chris Claiborne today. Claiborne is due a $500,000 roster bonus
    Friday. Releasing him would free up about $1.4 million of cap space.

The Rams are talking with prospective free agents Ryan Pickett and Adam
    Archuleta, but there are no indications that a contract agreement is imminent
    with either player. Pickett, a defensive tackle, and Archuleta, a strong
    safety, should draw interest in free agency. Washington could be a suitor for
    Archuleta.

Meanwhile, the team made decisions on tender offers for seven restricted free
    agents, according to president of football operations Jay Zygmunt.

The Rams made a first-round tender offer of about $1.5 million to wide receiver
    Kevin Curtis and an "original draft position" offer of about $720,000 to wide
    receiver Shaun McDonald, defensive end Brandon Green and cornerback DeJuan
    Groce.

Restricted free agents are players with three years of NFL experience. In
    exchange for the $1.5 million one-year offer to Curtis, the Rams can match any
    outside offers on Curtis. But if they choose not to match, they get a
    first-round draft pick as compensation.

In the case of McDonald, Green and Groce, the Rams get matching rights and
    compensation equal to the player's original draft position if they choose not
    to match. McDonald and Green would bring a fourth-round pick; Green would bring
    a sixth-round pick.

The Rams did not make tender offers to three other restricted free agents,
    officially cutting their ties with safety Mike Furrey, running back Arlen
    Harris and cornerback-kickoff returner Chris Johnson. Furrey started 11 games
    for the Rams last season and led the team with four interceptions.

Also, the Rams have signed quarterback Jeff Smoker and agreed to terms with
    offensive lineman Blaine Saipaia on one-year contracts as exclusive rights free
    agents. Exclusive rights free agents are players with fewer than three years
    NFL experience.

The Rams did not make tender offers to exclusive rights free agents Jeremy
    Loyd, a linebacker, and Matt Morgan, an offensive tackle.
    Wow, Rams aren't bringing back Furrey. Guess our need at safety just got bigger.

Not surprised to see Curtis get the first round tender. I doubt anyone makes him an offer with that compensation, so he's ours for at least one more year.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Rams tender offers to some restricted free agents, and don't make offers to others

Wow the safety needs will increase if Furrey and Arch are not with the Rams. I don't like hearing this because these are two guys with a lot of heart and try. Arch has slid in his performance but he may really improve under another defensive coordinator if he has fully recovered from his back problems. Oh man I would hate to see him playing for Washington.

I would keep Furrey, if I were making the decisions, since he is leading player for interceptions and he was improving last season. Those 4 interceptions were very important to the outcome of a few games.

I am glad that I don't have to pick which players to keep and which ones to let go. I don't think I would be good at it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Rams tender offers to some restricted free agents, and don't make offers to others

Dang it I wanted to keep Furrey. He did good last year considering he was a first year safety from a wideout.

majorram is offline Registered User

I think that the ideas of coverting this WR into this safety and so on and so on is over at Rams park, the new coaching staff want to have a true safety!! all though he was one hell of a special team player..

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

ramhard is offline Registered User

The problem is expensive bet

The problem is that he would have locked up $720,000 in cap space for a special teamer, and backup safety. It's not whether he would be a plus, but whether other options were as good and cheaper. My sense is that Haslett and Linehan are ridding themselves of 'projects' (Furrey, Claiborne) and trying to get solid players. With his ball skills Furrey would always be a high risk (missed tackles), high reward (picks) type of player.

Must wait to see what the Rams do in FA. It will be focused on LB, S, and DT. They'll get at least one vet S, and one vet LB in FA. DT will depend on Pickett.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I think we should've kept Claiborne but its all good, I'm glad that we have Curtis, I really think its great to keep this kid, he's awesome, very fast, and has excellent potential and obviously knows how to play the game from two of the best receivers (I think) of all time, Isaac and Torry, so I think not only this year to keep him, but to have him as a Ram for awhile especially if he might be taking Isaac's place in a year or two whenever he retires as a Ram...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think Furrey was a sentimental favorite of Martz's, but that sentiment is gone now. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get a look in Detroit.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I think Furrey was a sentimental favorite of Martz's, but that sentiment is gone now. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get a look in Detroit.
    "AR" agree 100% the secondary got burned all year we need players meant for those positions... Not Furrey falt stuff happens and changed did not make him look good he did make some great plays !

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm gald to see Curtis will be here, Arch is still a question for me not sure if he has it or not.

majorram is offline Registered User

I'm pleased that we have kept Brandon Green, I just love his motor!!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Maybe, but back at WR or at S? I wouldn't expect Martz to have any say on the defensive personnel, so if Furrey comes in, it may have to be at WR.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamJackson39 Guest

Furrey has pretty good hands. He could be a solid possesion receiver a lot like Dane Looker is for the Rams. I think a move to Detroit would be good for him, although I'll miss him here on special teams.

viper is offline Registered User

I like Furrey, he showed a lot of heart and demonstrated a team 1st attitude. He did what was asked of him with enthusiasm. He was also one our better special teams players.

He was not, however, the answer for us at free safety. I was actually relieved to see that he will be released. I didn't want any chances that he would be used in the secondary next year. As majorram mentioned, we need a "true" free safety in the secondary and we have enough receivers.

I wish Furrey nothing but the best with his next team.

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Hmm... Interesting to here we wont hang on to Harris.

bruce_wannabe Guest

HE DIDNT PLAY MUCH LAST YEAR AND DIDNT REALLY CONTRUBUTE ON SPECIAL TEAMS./... PERSONALLY I THINK HE IS A CAPABLE Bckup