Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rams Thrash Colts 38-8; The (very) Good, the Bad and the Ugly

general counsel is offline Registered User

Rams Thrash Colts 38-8; The (very) Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Well, just when you think the Rams are fading into the abyss of a lost season without hope and without their QB, on Isaac Bruce's birthday, Coach Fisher rallies the squad for a thoroughly dominating road performance against a playoff caliber team with an elite qb on the road. The Rams are certainly the Jekyll and Hyde of the NFL at this point, in every aspect of the game. When they are good, they are very very good, flashing the promise of the future for the league's youngest team. We are really two plays away from being 6-4, despite losing Sammy. There is no quit in the Rams, and it goes without saying that if we play defense like we played today, there are more quality wins ahead before the end of the season. Along with the Houston game, this game represents just about peak performance for the Rams, and this one is even more encouraging because it comes without Sammy. Today was the NFL coming out party for Tavon Austin, who beat the Colts every which way possible, showing the speed and elusiveness that made his such a sought after commodity in the NFL draft last April. Lots of good to talk about today, and lots to be encouraged about heading into the bye week.

The Good

Tavon Austin has 2 catches for 138 yards, both long tds. A 57 yard bomb where he beat the defender by 5 yards to catch a perfect throw from Clemens and an 81 yard td on third down that effectively put the game away at the start of the second half, which featured what we have all been looking for all year-getting the ball to Tavon in space and watching him do his thing. He had a tremendous game changing 98 yard punt return as well, and he electrified the offense in a big way today. The Rams won 38-8 despite only having 12 first downs and having Stacy pretty much held under control. Austin's huge plays and three td's with 314 all purposes yards were a significant part of that performance. Sure, he had another drop today (an early third down miss) and leads the league in dropped passes, but when you look at the overall numbers, despite the ups and downs, and consider that he is playing now without sammy, i dont think people can complain much and he is likely to only get better as his career progresses and he gains experience as a professional receiver.

You can't criticize clemens today. He was 9-16-247-2 tds and a qb rating of 140.6. He didnt throw much and he didnt have to. He was a bit nimble and completed some big third downs to givens (2 catchs), and austin with the game in doubt. While we had only 12 first downs, we were a respectable 7-15 on 3rd down, which really made a difference early in the game.

The defense, in all respects, was outstanding from start to finish. We caused five turnovers, a fumble and four INT's. We had three sacks and hit Luck countless times, leading to many inaccurate throws. We played hard on every play and were outstanding against the run, allowing 18 yards on 14 carries. We held the colts to 2-12 on third down. Most of the colts passing yards were mop up stuff, as they had 5 yards rushing and only 74 total yards in the first half. Unlike last week, we were very strong in the second half on defense and didnt let them back into the game.

Quinn is effectively a force of nature. He is starting to look like a combination of Leonard Little and Jack Youngblood, and you can't give the guy any higher praise than that. He had two sacks and several hits, including the early sack/fumble that was picked up and run in by Chris Long for a 45 yard TD. Anyone that doesnt double team Quinn at this point is really asking for trouble, and those double teams should continue to help Chris Long, who had a sack of his own today along with the fumble returned for the TD.

Our kickoff coverage today was the best we have seen in 20 years. We had four tackles inside the 20 and two inside the 10. Bailey had a great tackle at the 7 yard line.

Zac Stacy didnt do much statistically (26-62 yards, one td) but he had a number of really tough runs, including the td and a big 3rd and 4 run for a first down where he dragged the defender the last two yards to convert.

Laurinaitis had another solid game with 8 or 9 tackles and an INT, but he missed some plays in the 4th quarter after almost getting his ear ripped off and heading to the locker room, which i believe ends his incredible streak of not missing a play in like three years!

The offensive line did reasonably well protecting clemens after the first two sacks by Mathis early in the game. Interesting to have Saffold playing guard the entire game. I like the theory of having your best five guys on the field, and i think its interesting that Barksdale stayed at tackle all game. I think the staff likes what it sees in barksdale and i know we debated this on the board last week, but i think we should all keep a close eye on his development.

Nice to see the Leg actually convert a field goal, albeit a 32 yarder.
    Hecker punted nicely averaging 48.4 on five kicks.
    Nice long run at the end for Benny (7-72)
    Anytime you have 5 takeaways and only 1 turnover, there is pretty close to a 100% chance you are going to win an NFL game. Kudos to the defense, again, especially the pass rush and the complete elimination of the colts running game.

The Bad

Two many offsides penalties on the defense.
    Some shoddy tackling in garbage time, especially on the screen passes.
    Early sacks allowed to mathis by Jake Long and Harkey.
    Drops by Cook and Austin.

The Ugly

The taunting penalty on the HG Wells Character (The Invisible Man, aka Pead) on the touchback on the opening kickoff was ugly and it lead to Pead never getting off the bench for the rest of the game.

Early fumble on 3rd and 2 from the four yard line looked like a bad handoff by clemens. Fortunately, this didnt bite us in the butt his week as it has recently.

Observation on where the game turned-
    Even in a blowout like this one, there are a couple of plays that really make all the difference. Rams up 14-0, colts driving, third down, incomplete, pass interference call, and the officials pick up the flag, leading to the punt, which austin returns 98 yards, a huge turning point in the game. Tim Ryan (who i think is an outstanding color guy) thought it was interference. I thought the receiver and the defender got to the ball at the same time. Either way, how often do you see that flag picked up when the ball isnt deflected? It was a break for the Rams, and we will take it.

Where do we go from here?

Under the circumstances, this win has to feel great heading into the bye week. The season is still riddled with what iffs, given the Sammy injury and the narrow losses to seattle and tennessee. The Rams will continue to fight hard, and hopefully develop their young players. What the Rams need more than anything else is consistency, especially on defense. It is practically impossible to explain how we can play this well on defense for a full game on the road against an elite team and play so poorly last week in the second half to lose us a game. We cut out most of the stupid penalties today (not all, but much better) and we didnt shoot ourselves in the foot with the exception of the one terrible fumble. With our pass rush, we have chances to stay in every game and while we will likely lose more than we win for the rest of the way, teams that look past the Rams are going to be in big trouble if they happen to run into the Rams on one of the weeks where the "good" Rams team shows up.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RamDez, RealRam, MFranke and 9 others like this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Rams Thrash Colts 38-8; The (very) Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Even if the Rams win throughout its still would be a 10-6 record and I don't think that will get the Rams into the playoffs unless they get help.

I can't fathom the Rams--lose to the woeful Titans and yet beat the DOLTs at home...and not just beat them, ROUT them! The only certainty is I would like to cast a Pro Bowl vote for Quinn--certainly MVP-on-D.

Whoever it was that put a quarter in Austin and got him going--THANK YOU, I'll take you out to a steak dinner. On this game T.A. showed why the Rams made a move to get him. I'd still like to see better play design for his talents.

It was my plan to watch the game till half time and take a nap--I didn't get that nap in

mh-i is offline Registered User

Nice to see the Rams put there foot on somebody's neck and not let them up. 28-0 zip in Indy half way through the 2nd quarter wasn't something I saw coming.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

GC, that has to be your shortest "the bad" and "the ugly" ever!
    RealRam and lostsoul like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very nice recap GC. I do think we can win more than we lose the rest of the way.

Go Rams!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I should have added an injury report guys. Benny hurt his ankle, but returned late in the game. McGee had to leave and limped to the locker room with an unknown injury. I mentioned Laurinaitis nearly getting his ear ripped off, he came back onto the field but didnt return to the game. The tv shot showed him with a bandage on his ear that looked like he cut himself shaving with a machette. Finally, Kendall Langford left at the end after appearing to take a direct shot to the gonads. He walked off under his own power but was seen on tv as he approached the sideline rubbing what appeared to be his member.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Jonze likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Nice indeed! Thanks GC.

Checking TA's amazing punt return highlight, it was great to see how the Rams ST players were careful not to commit a penalty. Towards the end, around the Colts 32 yard line, Alec Ogletree almost blocks the Colts punter in the back ... but doesn't! He was the last man to block.

Here's hoping the Rams will have more and more highlights of their own (rather than making highlights for the other team).

GO TA! Go everyone! Go Rams!

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Dunno what happened to these Rams but I like it. So many contributed to this one. Sure, the Colts were flatter than a pancake but The Rams DL creped 'em & Austin laid the syrup and butter on thick. I think I'll pass on putting that punt return play in the playbook, however.Glad to see the Krakenette get released at last by good execution all around in general, though. They'll need to get even better to keep him producing now that he's shown the stuff vs a quality opponent.

Not hard to see the lesson to be learned about Sam after seeing what poor pass pro, weak run game,lack of reliable weapons, and a porous defense did to Luck, is it ?
    HUbison and rNemesis like this.

MACD is offline Registered User

It is SO refreshing to see there is no "quit" in this team! Every facet of play has stepped it up since Sam went down. It's carrying Clemens, and he's risen to the challenge. I don't expect the backup QB to pull off last second heroics, just keep us in the game.

Just stop jumping offsides D line!

FestusRam is online now Registered User

The only Bad I can remember off the top of my head was the off-sides penalties(as you mentioned) and Jenkins cover skills.

Double moves are his kryptonite. Hilton manipulated Jenkins much of the game. I know he likes to gamble, but you have to play smarter than he did today. Luckily, he can fix these issues with some experience and coaching. He's still an elite athlete at the position and growing pains are expected.

Funnest write-up to read so far. It's crazy the difference a week makes.

Randart is offline Registered User

Wow! Awesome win by our beloved young Rams! Vets led with true leadership! I cannot say enough good about our defensive stands in the fourth quarter trully Amazing. Clem completed critical passes down the field and TA caught them... WOW! Beautiful highlights and the coaching staff should be applauded, I know I call them out ah LOT! Putting Roger at Guard is sheer genius imho, as his foot work leaves so much to be desired! At guard he can use his bulk and impact ability to shock in the phone booth! He may have finally found his spot in the NFL. Guards get paid too so be happy Roger show us you deserve to be kept on the payroll! I think Andrew Luck and the Colts were not so much flat as the Rams brought it and Andy misses Reggie oh so very much!!! One of the best recievers over the last 10 years and his security blanket, really showed up in this one! Proud of our Defense just a fantastic showing in all phases.

Now as to KC will I apologize, ah no not going to happen just happy he executed for more than 50% of his passes. Hoping he is getting a feeling for playing his position and can get the ball rolling if he can win a couple or few more then I will be happy to acknowledge he is our best option to me the jury is still out!
    As for Tavon Awesome good to see the plays designed for him excuted as they drew them up! That is two thumbs up on him and our QB for getting him the ball in stride! It is beautiful when executed by both parties! Team Victory as just about all victories in this league and sport are! Proud of our guys today...
    Go Rams!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Can I also just say that Rodney McLeod had the biggest legal hit i've seen in a long time on a pass play. Smashed the receiver right in the chest shoulder, and although the guy still caught it and held on, he never came back in the game.

viper is offline Registered User

The special teams hit by Cody Davis (I think), sending the punt returner into a somersault was a highlight play worth mentioning, as well. Awesome game all the way around. Can't say enough about the defense. As for Tavon, I knew it was just a matter of time before he would show his stuff. I just hope that the coaches continue to get him the ball in space so that we have many more highlights of him to jump off the couch about!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I missed that Cody Davis thing, just saw him being congratulated on the sideline and wondered why!

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I'll say this, these guys are in great shape. Not a fatty in the bunch.

The defense are flying about like ICBMs. Shockingly scary. They're just finding out how good they can be.

Just a load more discipline, Fish. Make these boys into a team.
    "The horror"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast